8 gigs of on board storage....the more I think about this....

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
the htc website clearly states:

Memory: 8GB emmc + 768 RAM Memory card, preinstalled 32 GB microSD™

eMMC

eMMC describes an architecture consisting of an embedded storage solution with MMC interface, flash memory and controller, all in a small ball grid array (BGA) package.[4]
Embedded MultiMediaCard (e-MMC) e-MMC/Card Product Standard, High Capacity, including Reliable Write, Boot, Sleep Modes, Dual Data Rate, Multiple Partitions Supports and Security Enhancement

slinky

Reaction score
Exactly. It doesn't say 32GB but really a 6GB user accessible microSD. With the RAM it's there to be used for the OS and it is from what I know. Regarding the 8GB internal storage, it doesn't state that it will be used in a completely different fashion than anyone expected it to be. Let's put it this way -- if the WSJ, CNews, Gizmodo and Phone Arena were all fooled, there is a big problem here that lies with Verizon Wireless and HTC. But since VZW is actually selling the phone, they bore the responsibility to make it clear what they were selling to the average consumer. Someone had to know about this issue.

PS - to your edit. It doesn't say whether the internal memory would have 1MB or 3GB of unerasable bloatware or that they would partition it in such a fashion that 8GB becomes 4GB.

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
Exactly. It doesn't say 32GB but really a 6GB user accessible microSD. With the RAM it's there to be used for the OS and it is from what I know. Regarding the 8GB internal storage, it doesn't state that it will be used in a completely different fashion than anyone expected it to be. Let's put it this way -- if the WSJ, CNews, Gizmodo and Phone Arena were all fooled, there is a big problem here that lies with Verizon Wireless and HTC. But since VZW is actually selling the phone, they bore the responsibility to make it clear what they were selling to the average consumer. Someone had to know about this issue.

PS - to your edit. It doesn't say whether the internal memory would have 1MB or 3GB of unerasable bloatware or that they would partition it in such a fashion that 8GB becomes 4GB.

Where are you getting 6 gb accessible sd...I can access my full sdcard. Also, I don't understand what RAM has to do with anything...

sent via rooted THUNDERBOLT using Tapatalk

slinky

Reaction score
Where are you getting 6 gb accessible sd...I can access my full sdcard. Also, I don't understand what RAM has to do with anything...
I was making it up for the SD Card in the same way the 2.6GB was arbitrarily decided to be semi-user accessible for the internal memory. For example 32 GB microSD - formatting - 20 GB of movie previews you can't remove from the SD card...

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
I was making it up for the SD Card in the same way the 2.6GB was arbitrarily decided to be semi-user accessible for the internal memory. For example 32 GB microSD - formatting - 20 GB of movie previews you can't remove from the SD card...

So...if its such a big deal to you why not just return it? I for one have a ton of apps installed (none of which are on SD) and I still have 2 gb + left! I really can't see where it matters that much...

This is my final post in this thread because quite frankly, it's a waste of my time. Just return it if you don't like it. I have a feeling you won't though...some people just need something to complain about. Go on, rage against the machine...

slinky

Reaction score
So...if its such a big deal to you why not just return it? I for one have a ton of apps installed (none of which are on SD) and I still have 2 gb + left! I really can't see where it matters that much...
Did you intend to use your phone for video recording? I found out about the memory issue long after it made sense to return the phone. See below.

This is my final post in this thread because quite frankly, it's a waste of my time. Just return it if you don't like it. I have a feeling you won't though...some people just need something to complain about. Go on, rage against the machine...
Some people prefer to voice their opinion instead of first reading, thinking and then replying. That wastes everyones time. Those who were misled will not be compensated for (a) numerous wasted hours spent setting up and moving to this device, and (b) cost of accessories that will not be refunded. In addition, there will be numerous additional hours spent moving to yet another phone. Unlike yourself, I don't rage against the machine. I get even. :)

funkyb

Reaction score
@slinky, video is recorded to the sd card, not the internal eMMC.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

slinky

Reaction score
The arguements being made in this thread are riDICulius! Your simply trying to rationalize these thoughts in your mind you came up with. Some people are just so thick headed and set in their ways that they can't accept when they are wrong or been proven wrong. You say Verizon should be held liable for your loss. You haven't lossed anythieng!
Did you even read this thread at all? Do you just want to lecture? Are you offering to pay the AMEX bills for every user's accessories they purchased?

Were you expecting Verizon/HTC to have a sit down discussion with each buyer to go over the details of what was being used for what internally? If they advertised an 8g phone and ended up with 8g of memory usage your phone would come with nothing on it dillhole! Jeebus, go play in traffic ...but before you do be sure to leave your phone on the sidewalk.
Before you call someone a "dillhole", why don't you ask any HTC Incredible owner how much internal memory they thought they'd get. After all, virtually any owner would believe it's the *same* 8GB internal and 32GB microSD capability... right? Wrong. So whose fault is it? The person who KNEW there was 2.6GB or the person who was led to believe the same storage memory was there? Why didn't anyone at Verizon Wireless or HTC say a word when they saw every major industry magazine and their own salespeople boast about 40GB of user accessible storage... for MONTHS? Hmmm....

Here's the kicker. Why should some executive make major bonus money by being able to take up 50% (or whatever unannounced amount) of my internal storage and not mention that they are collecting $$$$ from Blockbuster, some Golf Game and who knows what other apps are preinstalled and NOT removable, storage lost? Did you mention that the memory doesn't mount either and thus is not accessible when connected to your PC? No, didn't say a word. Unfortunately there are people who do this intentionally -- there would have been a sizeable number of people who would have passed on the Thunderbolt and waited a few weeks to get another device. Returns are a hassle. If you want to sell people stuff here without disclosing to them things they would likely want to and need to know, go try. Nobody will ever buy from you again.

@slinky, video is recorded to the sd card, not the internal eMMC.
Yes, the Incredible can record video to the class 4 SD card. But video was recordable to the internal memory of the Incredible and is recordable to the internal memory of most phones because (a) it's far more reliable, and (b) it's faster. The SD card is class 4 - class 6 is the minimum recommended for high definition video recording, as is written in the manual of many HD camcorders.

The kicker. I had my office - 26GB of storage - on my microSD card of my Incredible. Like many, that ~7GB of internal memory would have been fine. Then one day we discovered it was gone.

Anyways... you've heard the issues. If this was intentionally done, which seems like it could have been the case, it should not go unpunished. I am not litigious at all (I am primarily on the contractual side.) If this law firm does something, good for them - and good for every Thunderbolt owner.

PS - Great point funkyb. The SD Card wasn't included for "generosity." It's the cheapest micro SD card on the market that can do video at a minimum level and the ONLY way you can record video on the Thunderbolt. Throw out everything you know about Android and your prior phone. 0GB internal storage for anything other than apps. Spend $250 and get much less storage than on your old phone. Yes... someone could have and should have corrected the hundreds of articles, Verizon Wireless' and HTC's own marketing materials and their salespeople. If a law firm makes them pay for it, good for them.

jeremycnly

Reaction score
Well, first off any advertised internal storage amount will be less due to the OS and such, its that way on any device you buy, phones, mp3 players, computers, etc, etc.

BUT.....

With that being said.....advertising 8 and only leaving 2 is BULL.

Hahaha I'm sorry I thought that was funny.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App