8 gigs of on board storage....the more I think about this....

Beardface

Reaction score
Thats all it says, It does not define what its for or how it's split up.
They don't define how they split it up!?!?!?

WTF could POSSIBLY take up 5GB in storage right out of the box? Either there is an issue with the software where it is not showing the correct amount of storage, or they completely 100% falsely advertised this device.

They are giving us less than half the advertised internal storage. Wouldn't be as much an issue if it were the microSD, but this is internal. We cannot change it.

This is like Motorola advertising dual core for the Bionic, and once you open the box, you realize its only single. Nowhere did they advertise any kind of decrease in storage.

The internal storage is 8 gb, but to increase speed and reliability they formatted it kind of like a raid the way I understand it. This makes that 8 gb into around 4. I think there's around 2.5 available to the user.

Honestly though, I'd rather have the speed and reliability than more storage I won't use. How could you possibly fill all that? I've got all my apps installed (none to SD) and still have 2 gb left! Either way, it came with a 32 gb sdcard! I'd be upset too if it was like an iPhone or palm with no sd, but if 32 isn't enough you don't need a phone...you need a laptop!

sent via rooted THUNDERBOLT using Tapatalk
Oh, I agree... I want the speed. But lets not BS us... If the phone is only going to have 2.5GB of usable internal memory, DON'T advertise a number thats over 3 times that value! That is misleading, its shady advertising, and its grounds to file a complaint with the FCC about false advertising.

cpjr

Reaction score
wow... do you guys really think like that? The phone DOES have 8GB internal storage... that isn't false advertising. When you buy a windows PC that has a 320GB HDD and Windows 7 you will find that Windows takes up 5-15GB of space. The internal space on the Thunderbolt contains the OS and installed applications. I will agree that Verizon shouldn't be putting apps on the phone that you can't uninstall... however, to claim that it's false advertising that there is "only" 2GB of space left in internal storage is simply ridiculous.

This is a perfect example of why I decided to stop developing FREE apps... because of stupid users. Yep... I said it.

No, there is a difference, when you buy a laptop with a 320GB hhd, you dont have only 50gb left after the OS.

Thats basically what you get with the TB, out of 8gb you only have 2 left. Thats bull.

I stated in an earlier post that you never get stated storage capacity, but the OS takes up less than 1/2 a gig + a few small apps, you should have ALOT more than 2gb left. And I understand why its not that way (formatting reasons), but it should have been advertised differently. YOU CANT TELL ME THAT WASNT A PLAY BY HTC TO HIKE UP SPECS.

stonedoubt

Reaction score
Nowhere in any advertising does it say that you will have 8GB internal memory for whatever use you want... it purely says that the device has 8GB of internal memory... which is true. What part of that is hard to understand? And why exactly do you need that much storage anyway? How many freaking apps are you installing that you would need that much space? Ever heard of Apps2SD?

cpjr

Reaction score
Nowhere in any advertising does it say that you will have 8GB internal memory for whatever use you want... it purely says that the device has 8GB of internal memory... which is true. What part of that is hard to understand? And why exactly do you need that much storage anyway? How many freaking apps are you installing that you would need that much space? Ever heard of Apps2SD?

As I also stated earlier, I could care less that there is only 2gb left.

Its people like you that allow companies to take advantage of consumers the way they do.

As I just stated, HTC knew that they were doing by advertising the phone the way they did...it was a ploy to hike specs up for the device and everyone fell for it.

I have seen on alot of different devices where they will list internal memory AND user accessible storage memory for that exact reason, when the differences are so great.

stonedoubt

Reaction score
YOU CANT TELL ME THAT WASNT A PLAY BY HTC TO HIKE UP SPECS.

I suspect that noone could tell you anything you didn't want to hear...

Here is a suggestion... take the phone back. dancedroid

I currently have over 80 apps installed... available space = 2.37GB

cpjr

Reaction score
It amazes me how people talk about Apple fanboys as blind sheep that will accept or buy anything....

Hmmm, reminds me of something....oh, this thread.

PS- I like the phone, Im done.

Beardface

Reaction score
apps2SD is about as worthless as it comes. Yeah, it sounds nice in theory, but in practice, you might as well just leave the damn things on the internal memory.

Why?

A2SD does not move the full file. In many cases, you'll have an app that is 5MB or so in size, move it to the SD, and only 400k moves over. Yeah, huge savings. Sure, some files are able to move 75-90% over to the SD card, but they are few and far between.

Granted, it will still take a lot to use up all the space, but still. The practice is shady as hell and should have ramifications. What would have happened if Moto releases the Bionic, but only allows for one of the processors to work, and their rationalizing was that it helped 'speed up the phone and save battery' to not use both. The other processor is there, but you'll never be able to use it. But hey, they advertised dual core, not '1 usable processor'. Think there would be an issue?

cpjr

Reaction score
And the tooth fairy, well, that a whole different story.....

stonedoubt

Reaction score
This has nothing to do with being a "fanboy". The FACT is that the phone is as advertised and you are claiming it is not.

I live about 25 miles north of Charlotte... so not that far from you. I haven't been to Atlanta yet with this phone... but here in the sticks I get solid 4G coverage:

1233606729.png

When I am not using data... like when I am watching TV or sleeping or whatever. I turn it off using the stock button bar that came with Sense. My battery will last almost 2 days using this method. Granted... I only use the phone for talking about 2-3 hours a day at most (it's actually my business phone).

I don't use any stupid updating widgets... there is no reason for it.

Maybe I just got lucky or something... I suspect that the great majority of issues that people have are from poor use (way too many apps installed and widgets galore... keeping data on all of the time, etc). I know this is how people do it because I have seen it first hand. Not to mention the fact that having 10 apps on the market for a year has taught me alot about how ignorant people really are. You should see how many people that have HTC EVO based phones that gave streaming radio apps 1 star ratings because the app wouldn't work EVEN WHEN the first thing in the description of the apps say that the Dec 15 update pushed by sprint broke streaming AND it's all over their support forum.

/rant

xan

Reaction score
they should start saying it comes with a 2500mah battery...but secretly only let you use 500mah of it before having to charge it again!

or give consumers a 4.3" screen that you can only view 1" of at a time....

Beardface

Reaction score
This has nothing to do with being a "fanboy". The FACT is that the phone is as advertised and you are claiming it is not.

I live about 25 miles north of Charlotte... so not that far from you. I haven't been to Atlanta yet with this phone... but here in the sticks I get solid 4G coverage
Ugh... You're lucky...

As you can see, I live about 3 hours East and get NOTHING. Hopefully soon, though... Hopefully soon...

I live in Raleigh a little less than halfway between downtown and Durham. Considering our coverage should stretch between all of Raleigh-Cary-Durham-Chapel Hill, I should be golden when 4G goes live. Can't wait til that day!

stonedoubt

Reaction score

I live about 25 miles north of Charlotte... so not that far from you. I haven't been to Atlanta yet with this phone... but here in the sticks I get solid 4G coverage
Ugh... You're lucky...

As you can see, I live about 3 hours East and get NOTHING. Hopefully soon, though... Hopefully soon...

I live in Raleigh a little less than halfway between downtown and Durham. Considering our coverage should stretch between all of Raleigh-Cary-Durham-Chapel Hill, I should be golden when 4G goes live. Can't wait til that day!

I am surprised that we have it here and you don't in Raleigh... maybe it's because of all the banking and stuff here.