6.1 RC5 has dropped

droidkevlar

Reaction score
FYI for everyone staying on the latest....RC5 has dropped. If you are on nightly build 203, its pretty much the same, so no need to switch to.

OP
D

droidkevlar

Reaction score
haha, beat me to it! anything change from nightly 202?

From what I see on the site changelog:

Common: Lockscreen gestures - Michael Webster
Common: Camera bugfixes (mostly for Droid) - Michael Webster

is it better then 199?

Im on 202 and its killer. Way better than 199. Speed and battery to me is better. But that is just me. I am not going to flash 203 or RC5 as they have features I dont care about at this time. Cam works great for me on 202. No issues at all.

EDIT: I aint going to sleep ne time soon, so might as well flash 203. Im bored, lol

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
haha, beat me to it! anything change from nightly 202?

From what I see on the site changelog:

Common: Lockscreen gestures - Michael Webster
Common: Camera bugfixes (mostly for Droid) - Michael Webster

is it better then 199?

Im on 202 and its killer. Way better than 199. Speed and battery to me is better. But that is just me. I am not going to flash 203 or RC5 as they have features I dont care about at this time. Cam works great for me on 202. No issues at all.

Those are the only changes from 202?

sentientchimp

Reaction score
thanks droidkevlar, i think i'll give it a shot. i was wondering, what are your thoughts on the stock kernel? (or anyone's opinion for that matter)

Sandso9

Reaction score
Sandso9,
What exactly is compcache?

Jboxen - from a post of mine on another forum:

For those not familiar - what is it: compcache is a bit of code that creates a virtual swap drive in your RAM. The data that goes into it is compressed, this occurs very quickly. So, it essentially gives you the equivalent of virtual extra RAM to keep programs in memory.

Why use it: I am finding that with compcache enabled I can run a number of large memory usage programs without slowdown. Furthermore, with compcache I am not having the issue with the slow redraw/ relaunch of the ADW launcher that I have without it. This is an issue that many people have reported. Between compcache and the interactive governor, my phone is running as smooth and well as I could hope for.

The use compcache check box under Settings / CyanogenMod Settings/ Performance Settings does not seem to work.

You need to have a kernel that has compcache enabled. The slayher 1.6 kernels work well.

The easiest way to make compcache persistent after reboot is to use root file manager to open the file /etc/init.d/20userinit in its text editor and add /system/bin/compcache start at the bottom. You could also pull /edit /push the file with adb. I haven't used it in a while and don't want to give you the wrong commands.

Good Luck

read that :)

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
thanks droidkevlar, i think i'll give it a shot. i was wondering, what are your thoughts on the stock kernel? (or anyone's opinion for that matter)

Runs great for me. I have a replacement and it has serious heat issues. I can only use 2 ROMs. This and one other and this keeps me in the 70's and 80's, sometimes 90's and 100's but usually when I'm messing with a lot of stuff, games, doing anything while it's charging

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sandso9,
What exactly is compcache?

Jboxen - from a post of mine on another forum:

For those not familiar - what is it: compcache is a bit of code that creates a virtual swap drive in your RAM. The data that goes into it is compressed, this occurs very quickly. So, it essentially gives you the equivalent of virtual extra RAM to keep programs in memory.

Why use it: I am finding that with compcache enabled I can run a number of large memory usage programs without slowdown. Furthermore, with compcache I am not having the issue with the slow redraw/ relaunch of the ADW launcher that I have without it. This is an issue that many people have reported. Between compcache and the interactive governor, my phone is running as smooth and well as I could hope for.

The use compcache check box under Settings / CyanogenMod Settings/ Performance Settings does not seem to work.

You need to have a kernel that has compcache enabled. The slayher 1.6 kernels work well.

The easiest way to make compcache persistent after reboot is to use root file manager to open the file /etc/init.d/20userinit in its text editor and add /system/bin/compcache start at the bottom. You could also pull /edit /push the file with adb. I haven't used it in a while and don't want to give you the wrong commands.

Good Luck

read that :)

Ah, thank you! I looked it up a while back and I couldn't find anything on it. I only knew that it was good for your phone for the most part. Somtimes in settings, it gives you a percent for how much to use, how do you know?
And I have the Slayher 1Ghz 1.7 right now and apparently it doesn't support compcache

OP
D

droidkevlar

Reaction score

I am guessing on this since I am not a dev on CM but yes. I am on 202 and didnt see these, so that is my guess. Cam was working great already so I am going to say that is an on going issue as they seem to have been having issues with it on this release.

I use P3's 900/125 kernel. To me, it was WAY faster and better battery life than the stock 800 it comes with. Each phone is different, so to each is their own. Trial and error is how I found this kernel to be perfect for me. Phone never gets hot like it used to with others.

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wish there was a changelog. I never know the difference between one build or the other, I usually just stay with the latest but I just started running CM like 2 nights ago.
And yeah, I changed cause to me, the stock seemed laggy. It kept me cool and everything but seemed slightly slow so I have Slayher 1.7 which keeps me cool as well and runs better. My replacement is terrible on hear so it's rare for me to find anything that works

I am guessing on this since I am not a dev on CM but yes. I am on 202 and didnt see these, so that is my guess. Cam was working great already so I am going to say that is an on going issue as they seem to have been having issues with it on this release.

I use P3's 900/125 kernel. To me, it was WAY faster and better battery life than the stock 800 it comes with. Each phone is different, so to each is their own. Trial and error is how I found this kernel to be perfect for me. Phone never gets hot like it used to with others.

sentientchimp

Reaction score
cool, thanks droidkevlar. i must say, i'm loving these homescreen gestures so far. the Cyanogen team are constantly topping themselves.