4g/Release Before Tiered Verizon Plans

snipes1003

Reaction score
Basically, I am trying to figure out if I should wait for the s2 or get the droid charge. I can not find definitive answers to two questions that will sway my opinion as what to do: (1) Will the s2 have 4g? (2) Will it be released before vzw implements tiered pricing?

Thanks!

Xerrus

Reaction score
You can't find answers to those questions because none exist at the moment. All we can do is speculate on both those questions for now and i know I for one am wondering the same things. I want to get in on this unlimited 4g buffet while I can but don't want to do so with a device I don't truly want (I.e. the thunderbolt / Droid charge).

The current 4g devices are built with old tech. Why would I want to buy a phone with a single core processor when I can see dual core phones rolling out left and right on other networks? Verizon seems to be perpetually behind the times when it comes to adopting new tech. *sigh*

Sent from my DROID X

Reaction score
Yeah, the lg rev seems like the best 4g out right now... but I want the s2 bad :eek:

You have just been post pwned

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am going to wait for the s2 myself. I am also throwing around the idea of evo 3d, but sprint coverage isn't as good as verizon. I just hope the s2 has 4g or its out for me. Verizons 4g phones are really unimpressive right now.

Sent from my fascinate

shizumie

Reaction score
Ok, take this how you will. I recently got a TB just to lock in 4g unlimited data. I got it at a decent price on ebay, as i want to use my upgrade on a better phone. So when i go to verizon to activate my new 4g phone and change my plan, she activates my phone and hands me it back with new 4g sim card and says have a nice day. I say arent you gonna change my data plan to 4g, she replies O its the exact same plan you already have. There isnt a "4g" plan. All data plans are the same, the only difference is if you have a 4g capable phone you will get 4g speeds when you hit a 4g area..
So, like i say take it how you will. I got a 4g phone activated to lock on the data, and then got told i didnt need to. I was going to do the same for my wifes phone but now we will just wait for bio.

Hope this helps. Also i have looked at verizon online and my plan is exactly the same. No change and i get 4g.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Tiered plans are coming once the network is more established. The CEO of verizon stated so. His bogus reason was because some people were using too much data and slowing the network down.

Sent from my fascinate

Droid592

Reaction score
Ok, take this how you will. I recently got a TB just to lock in 4g unlimited data. I got it at a decent price on ebay, as i want to use my upgrade on a better phone. So when i go to verizon to activate my new 4g phone and change my plan, she activates my phone and hands me it back with new 4g sim card and says have a nice day. I say arent you gonna change my data plan to 4g, she replies O its the exact same plan you already have. There isnt a "4g" plan. All data plans are the same, the only difference is if you have a 4g capable phone you will get 4g speeds when you hit a 4g area..
So, like i say take it how you will. I got a 4g phone activated to lock on the data, and then got told i didnt need to. I was going to do the same for my wifes phone but now we will just wait for bio.

Hope this helps. Also i have looked at verizon online and my plan is exactly the same. No change and i get 4g.

Listen to this guy please everyone and to me also, I have inside sources that work for Verizon wireless and how this is working is like this. ( feel free to call 611 but not all reps know this) If you have a smartphone right now example droid, droidx, blackberry and it has the $29.99 data plan then YOU ARE LOCKED IN. Meaning if the tiered pricing rolls out tomorrow and Monday you go pick up a 4G phone you will NOT be switched to pay tiered data prices you will keep your unlimited for the term of your contract.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

UNC

Reaction score

Listen to this guy please everyone and to me also, I have inside sources that work for Verizon wireless and how this is working is like this. ( feel free to call 611 but not all reps know this) If you have a smartphone right now example droid, droidx, blackberry and it has the $29.99 data plan then YOU ARE LOCKED IN. Meaning if the tiered pricing rolls out tomorrow and Monday you go pick up a 4G phone you will NOT be switched to pay tiered data prices you will keep your unlimited for the term of your contract.

This is incorrect. 3g UNLIMITED data is locked in. When you add 4g data you are changing the terms of the contract and will no longer be grandfathered.... This is why I got Verizon to keep the 4g data on my bill when I returned the TB.

You only get to "grandfather" until you change the terms of your agreement.

Droid592

Reaction score

This is incorrect. 3g UNLIMITED data is locked in. When you add 4g data you are changing the terms of the contract and will no longer be grandfathered.... This is why I got Verizon to keep the 4g data on my bill when I returned the TB.

You only get to "grandfather" until you change the terms of your agreement.

Sorry your wrong the data plan is just a plan regaurdless of 4g or 3g the phone is what gives that to you there's no 4g data plans for phones right now what so ever

UNC

Reaction score
Have a screenshot showing that 4G plan?
Sorry your wrong the data plan is just a plan regaurdless of 4g or 3g the phone is what gives that to you there's no 4g data plans for phones right now what so ever
I have a picture of the receipt on this forum somewhere, but yes... I'll take a pic and post it in a second.

Attached... You could've just taken my word for it....

"4g Data Transport"
"4g Application Access"
"4g Internet Access"

Don't ask why I didn't just prtscr and paste.... I had a massive brain fart....

Attachments

• IMAG0158.jpg
    IMAG0158.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 542

Snow02

Reaction score
Right, but 4G isn't a separate data plan. It appears that it's a non-contract altering add-on.

UNC

Reaction score
Right, but 4G isn't a separate data plan. It appears that it's a non-contract altering add-on.

That's not what my rep told me. I said plainly "let me keep the 4g data or I'm going to Sprint" (an empty threat)... And the rep said "trying to lock-in unlimited 4g huh??" Which to me means that they will not grandfather 3g plans... That would be stupid anyway, why would they EVER make tiered plans if the 90 million current subscribers were not going to be required to get one??? Think logically....

Snow02

Reaction score
Because when most people get a new phone, they do so at subsidized pricing, renewing their contract.

But I guess we'll find out soon enough.

UNC

Reaction score
Because when most people get a new phone, they do so at subsidized pricing, renewing their contract.

But I guess we'll find out soon enough.

We sure will... But I figured I'd show what a 4g plan actually looks like since some people were acting like I was stupid for saying that my contract plainly says "4g internet access" on it....

Maybe you can get "unlimited data" without having to change your plan, but you won't have "4g internet access" or "4g data transport" which basically means you'll have unlimited 3g.