When will tiered data hit? Thoughts?

Xerrus

Reaction score
So I know I want to hop on board this unlimited LTE train while it lasts, but am waiting for a 4G device worthy enough to do so. Specifically the Samsung Galaxy S 2 for Verizon which will allegedly hit this summer.

Now we've all heard the tiered data will also hit this summer (possibly anytime) but the only worthy device at the moment is the Charge. Don't get me wrong it's a nice phone but it's rollin with old tech in it's innards, just doesn't seem worth it right now. Thus my desire to wait for the Galaxy S2.

Who has thoughts on the matter? Anyone think it's worth hopping on board the LTE train right now with a Charge vs. Waiting for LTE with a Galaxy S2?

Sent from my DROID X

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I hope you can get "grandfathered" into an unlimited plan still.

Been paying for unlimited for over a year now, would be quite unhappy if they decide to downgrade me to a tiered plan. Yeah I don't use 5GB a month, but just good to know I have it...

Droid592

Reaction score
So I know I want to hop on board this unlimited LTE train while it lasts, but am waiting for a 4G device worthy enough to do so. Specifically the Samsung Galaxy S 2 for Verizon which will allegedly hit this summer.

Now we've all heard the tiered data will also hit this summer (possibly anytime) but the only worthy device at the moment is the Charge. Don't get me wrong it's a nice phone but it's rollin with old tech in it's innards, just doesn't seem worth it right now. Thus my desire to wait for the Galaxy S2.

Who has thoughts on the matter? Anyone think it's worth hopping on board the LTE train right now with a Charge vs. Waiting for LTE with a Galaxy S2?

Sent from my DROID X

Im sure everyone going to have there different says when it comes to this but heres the lo down so far. Charge IMO is only worth it if you care about a beautiful screen and battery life, the quality of the phone sucks no matter what anyone says its just trash. On the other hand the TB is a quality phone nice sleek and durable, and just like the motorola droid when it first came out it has its share of issues all which are going to be worked out through updates just like they were with the M D. IMO $300 for the charge is not worth it in anyway people that are paying that are wasting there money because that phone is all plastic. Now as far as the the tiered pricing goes with Verizon here is what is going around so far and has been confirmed so far (i have two inside sources that work for verizon, and this has been confirmed by 3 different reps) Tiered pricing has not been talked about in any call centers or sales reps as far as when its going to hit and how much its going to be meaning this is still up in the air, RIGHT NOW if you are on a smartphone data plan you are already grandfathered in. That means right now if you hold onto your X and tiered comes out tomorrow and you upgrade YOU WILL NOT PAY TIERED YOU WILL STILL BE UNLIMITED. Now before everyone starts bashing my post YES this can still change but as of right now Tiered is still a while away and if you have a data plan your grandfathered.Verizon also wants to release tiered with the drop of the POS iphone 5 (well if your a news buff you know) that Apple has stopped manufacturing products right now due to their factory fire, for all of you wondering what this means it means the release date for the iphone 5 has been pushed back and will most definitely not release in the summer time,hopefully this means that the tiered pricing is also going to be pushed back.This whole situation is all very confusing but this is what has been confirmed by people at Verizon.

Last edited:
OP
Xerrus

Xerrus

Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful insight. I agree that the all plastic Charge is somewhat less than desirable, but then, there's the TB's battery life to think about. Both have their problems which is why it'd probably be in anyone's best interest to wait. I wasn't aware 3G would be tiered as well, I was under the impression that only 4G would be rolling to tiered.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Droid592

Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful insight. I agree that the all plastic Charge is somewhat less than desirable, but then, there's the TB's battery life to think about. Both have their problems which is why it'd probably be in anyone's best interest to wait. I wasn't aware 3G would be tiered as well, I was under the impression that only 4G would be rolling to tiered.

From what ive heard its gonna be all data plans for smartphones , either way 3G is to completely go away in a couple years.

occhile1984

Reaction score
my wife just went back to an unlimited plan and i have the OLD 150 mb for $15 per month, does that mean that if i switch to an unlimited plan soon, then i will be grandfathered in and they cant screw me over?

Droid592

Reaction score
my wife just went back to an unlimited plan and i have the OLD 150 mb for $15 per month, does that mean that if i switch to an unlimited plan soon, then i will be grandfathered in and they cant screw me over?
Anyone that has a unlimited data plan will be grandfathered in for your commitment period. Contracts of 2 years will be held will unlimited plans unless a change of rate plan is made to the account from what i am getting.
So short answer yes.

occhile1984

Reaction score
Anyone that has a unlimited data plan will be grandfathered in for your commitment period. Contracts of 2 years will be held will unlimited plans unless a change of rate plan is made to the account from what i am getting.
So short answer yes.

Thanks boss. Makes me want to go back to unlimited.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
I don't envision the tiered data plans sneaking up on us. I am sure there will be an information leak in the weeks prior to it coming into play. The employees of the stores and in sales/customer service need to know the details prior to customers. Employees leak inside info like that all the time.

OP
Xerrus

Xerrus

Reaction score
I don't envision the tiered data plans sneaking up on us. I am sure there will be an information leak in the weeks prior to it coming into play. The employees of the stores and in sales/customer service need to know the details prior to customers. Employees leak inside info like that all the time.

Exactly, way I see it there will be some kind of leak and forewarning that will alert all of as to the impending doom as tiered data approaches.

occhile1984

Reaction score
well part of me just wants to upgrade anyway. mainly because i get bored with my phone after 6-8 months. and part of that reason is so that i can have an unlimited. but i would be curious to know what the options are for the tiered plans.

OP
Xerrus

Xerrus

Reaction score
well part of me just wants to upgrade anyway. mainly because i get bored with my phone after 6-8 months. and part of that reason is so that i can have an unlimited. but i would be curious to know what the options are for the tiered plans.

I feel ya. I constantly lust for new phone tech too. My Droid X has served me well though. Thanks to all the developer support and ROMs like Rubix and Liberty it's continued to keep me happy for quite some time now!

Still that Galaxy S2 on the horizon is one device I wont miss out on. As long as Verizon doesn't find a way to jack it up when making it their own

Murker

Reaction score
From what ive heard its gonna be all data plans for smartphones , either way 3G is to completely go away in a couple years.

How true is that? I mean look at all the 3G phones that JUST came out. I find it hard to believe with the Droid X2 just released and the Droid 3 soon, why would they completely eliminate the network that they would run on?

Not trying to be rude in any way, I'm just curious why they would eliminate it so soon. That would leave a lot of smartphone users furious.

UPDATE: I revoke my comments. I did a little digging and you are correct. I'm reading that by 2013, they would like 3G to be gone. Well, that helps me a lot in my choice. I've been debating if I NEEDED a 4G device and the DX2 looks sexy. I know it's only 2011, but I would like my phone to work for the last few months of 3G, if ya know what I mean.

Last edited:

bhmhrex

Reaction score
So short answer yes.

Hey,

I have a friend who works at Verizon and he said when you sign up for a contract with Verizon (say 2years) you are actually locked in for a period of 20 years. After your two years is up, it goes to a month by month but they can't change any of your plan or the pricing for another 18 years. The only way you would lose whatever great deal or package you are on within the 2 years or the rest of the 18 years is if YOU would call and request a different package or an addition to your package. I thought it sounded odd, but I called Verizon (611) and 5 different reps confirmed what he said. You are on a 2 year contract, but after the end of your contract it is a month by month with everything staying the same for another 18 years.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
That would be nice. Unlimited 4g for 20 years. I like the sound of that. I realize Verizon has to respect our contract. I know my dad had T-Mobile for a long time on an old family plan and every time he called in they wanted him to upgrade but if he did he would lose 500 minutes so he never did.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums