4.9% of Android Phones run ICS

jeff70

Reaction score
ICS is over six months old and is being used on a whopping 4.9% of android phones as of May 1 2012, (FYI ICS was released October 2011)

I am not sure if that is one of the most ridiculous or saddest facts I have have ever read, probably equally both :blink:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
How about the fact that the 4.9% probably won't be too much higher towards the end of the summer when Jelly Bean is supposed to be hitting. Thank your phone manufacturers and cell providers.

OP
jeff70

jeff70

Reaction score
and when my 2 year contract ends I am sure Verizion will be offering me a new phone with a 4-5 month old OS with the promise of an upgrade to the latest version vaguely sometime in the future

Verizon uses the delay time to make sure they pack in all the bloatware into the new version, I can only imagine the disappointment of millions customers if they did not include a compatible version of Vcast and all those other crap apps with a new update ;)

Trash Can

Reaction score
Never buy a product based on a promise or expectation of an update and you'll never be disappointed. Be happy with it as is when you walk out the door -- any updates from the manufacturer are a bonus.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Never buy a product based on a promise or expectation of an update and you'll never be disappointed. Be happy with it as is when you walk out the door -- any updates from the manufacturer are a bonus.

Yeah like the Motorola Xoom, didn't they promise LTE within the first couple months and it took over a year right?

Reaction score

truer words may never have been spoken...

mbell75

Reaction score
ICS is over six months old and is being used on a whopping 4.9% of android phones as of May 1 2012, (FYI ICS was released October 2011)

I am not sure if that is one of the most ridiculous or saddest facts I have have ever read, probably equally both :blink:

That's why you root and ROM. Had ICS on my Maxx for awhile...

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Trash Can said:

This is true. BUT lets be realistic. Even if the customer bought the phone only because they loved the phone right then and there, that's where the warm fuzzy feeling ends. Be it from buyers remorse or something they heard, or possibly the device is too complex for them....the cold hard truth is that most people are only happy with their device at the time of purchase.

Its seems this is how we are as a society. Always looking for the bigger better deal, never happy with what we've got, especially if the prospect of getting something now, and even more later, comes into play.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

Last edited:

sava700

Reaction score
That's why you root and ROM. Had ICS on my Maxx for awhile...

You shouldn't have to do that sorta alternative to have current OS.. even Microsoft makes sure people have updated PC's.

Reaction score
You shouldn't have to do that sorta alternative to have current OS.. even Microsoft makes sure people have updated PC's.

No they don't. One you have to PAY for a new version of the OS. Two often the new version of the OS is designed with newer hardware in mind.

Ex: Windows 8 is really gonna need a touch screen to be effective. And here we are talking about devices that for the most part can take the same version of the OS. My install DVD will work on my machine and on yours. In the case of any phone the OS provided by Google is just a baseline that has to be customized to run the hardware present on the device. You aren't buying an OS from one vender(Microsoft) and getting hardware drivers from another vendor(Dell).

Honestly expecting ANY upgrade to your phone is pure bonus. It is not required nor should it be expected.