VZW & HTC Exemplify Sub-Par Software Support with ICS Update for HTC Thunderbolt

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
htc-tbolt-ics-update-feb-2013.png

Would you like to have a prime example of unacceptable and sub-par software support? Look no further than Verizon Wireless & HTC. It is now February 2013 and they are finally releasing the promised Ice Cream Sandwich update for the HTC Thunderbolt. You remember that phone, right? It launched in the early part of 2011. ICS was ready at the end of 2011. Here we are two years later and they are finally gracing the device with Android 4.0, when the world has moved on to Android 4.1 & 4.2 (Jelly Bean).

At first blush it might be easy to point a finger solely at Verizon on this, but you would be mistaken. It was toward the end of 2012 that HTC Tweeted the ICS update would be ready "soon" for the TBolt. This likely means they dragged their feet as much as Verizon.

Ah well, they kept their promise, and at least the few users in the world who still have Thunderbolts can experience the tastiness of Google's shiny new 2011 Operating System. :blink:

Let's here a shout out from all of our amazing Thunderbolt owners!!!

Source: Verizon .pdf

silverfang77

Reaction score
Google needs to force the manufacturers to stop skinning their Android releases and release updates directly to all handsets.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
LOL, my wife got so tired of her TBolt and its horrible performance and bought a GNex off craigslist. I'll put ICS on the TBolt since our 6 year old plays on it. Then again, dunno why, I have CM10 on it already running pretty smooth.

MacLeod

Reaction score
I still love mine. Yeah it's not been perfect but it's been overall very solid. The touchscreen is starting to crap out on me so I was planning on buying a new one maybe even today but I might install this and see how it works first.

The only problem I had really with the T-bolt is the 4G dropping all the time so I kept it on 3G via the service menu for the last year. Last week I flipped it back to 4G and I have yet to drop signal so I'm thinking a lot of the signal dropping was more growing pains of a new 4G network and not necessarily the fault of the phone.

Who knows. Anyhoo glad they finally got us T-bolt owners "up to date".

Any word on when it's due out for actual release? I just checked for a software update and it's still showing nothing.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Google needs to force the manufacturers to stop skinning their Android releases and release updates directly to all handsets.

Buy phones directly from Google, problem solved. I will never buy another phone from Verizon after the way they treated galaxy nexus.

MacLeod

Reaction score
If the Nexus worked on Verizon network I'd buy one but I'd rather put up with outdated "updates" than do without their network. I have 4G out in the boonies of Georgia! Gotta love that.

wvdroidman

Reaction score
they do have a galaxy nexus for verizon and it is FREE most places now and it is open and has as many custom roms as the old original droid did.

MacLeod

Reaction score
Yeah but it's a bit dated and the battery life isn't that good. Since I'm stuck with this phone for 2 freaking years I want to get the most hardware horsepower that I can when I upgrade. Oh how I miss the good old days of upgrades after a year.

MacLeod

Reaction score
Still not available. Shows "coming soon" on the website.

Likwid_E

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4
I loved my Thunderbolt. It was the phone I had before I got my Maxx. I may take it back out and just install for the hell of it.. But I'll miss that GB <3

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
My wife still has a bolt, but it's upgrade time. Maybe we'll see if the upgrade makes the experience any better or turns the phone into a steaming pile.

boidsonly

Reaction score
To late for the wife and I. Just bought used SGSIII's off CL and am happy with them. Best of all, no Verizon contract. Never again will I buy an HTC phone after the Tbolt/ICS debacle...HTC may have dragged their feet on this but, ultimately, it is Verizon's responsibility to maintain the phones they sell so I hold them responsible.