3g to 4g droid

davedroid2323

Reaction score
will a 3g phone be able to upgrade to a 4g phone or would I have to buy a new one?

huskur

Reaction score
will a 3g phone be able to upgrade to a 4g phone or would I have to buy a new one?

Once VZW makes 4G available to all a software update to your droid handset will take place allowing for the 4G service to work. As it stands now the droid is the only 4G capable phones that VZW has out. So, no worries

Silver Member
Reaction score

Once VZW makes 4G available to all a software update to your droid handset will take place allowing for the 4G service to work. As it stands now the droid is the only 4G capable phones that VZW has out. So, no worries
do you have proof of this? all threads on this board, as well as other readings online have all stated that the DROID and all of VZW's curretn 3G lineup are NOT LTE compatible.

Sweet Daddy

Reaction score

do you have proof of this? all threads on this board, as well as other readings online have all stated that the DROID and all of VZW's curretn 3G lineup are NOT LTE compatible.

I second that emotion. :confused:

huskur

Reaction score

My information comes from the Motorola support staff. I called for issue i had with a defective keyboard (peeling off as i opened the slider). As my new replacement was being taken care of by Motorola and i was still on the phone with him we had a little conversation about the droid. I was assured that the droid is indeed the only capable 4G phone that verizon currently has. (this came about because we were talking about the sprint 4G network)

Silver Member
Reaction score
^^ I wouldn't hold anything a Moto tech says to merit. LTE will require different functionality than a software update.

richrcp

Reaction score
I have not read anything that states the Droid is LTE ready!! That would be great if it were factual but need to see proof!!!

knotbeerdan

Reaction score
My information comes from the Motorola support staff. I called for issue i had with a defective keyboard (peeling off as i opened the slider). As my new replacement was being taken care of by Motorola and i was still on the phone with him we had a little conversation about the droid. I was assured that the droid is indeed the only capable 4G phone that verizon currently has. (this came about because we were talking about the sprint 4G network)

I was invited to a VZW demo here in phoenix reguarding the unveiling of LTE (4G) and first of all its not rolling out till the end of 2012 i believe in most areas. They plan to have it completely rolled out the beginning of 2013 or mid 2014. The devices that are out now (at that time in october) are only 3G compatible. When 4G rolls out new devices will have to be bought. Most of the devices that will use 4G are myfi or netbooks sold by VZW. They do not plan on having many if any 4G devices for the first 6 months or so of having 4G. They do already have the technology and i got to see it with my own two eyes. 4G will change everything about mobile computing. BLAZING fast speeds, both download and upload.

Im not saying for sure our droids are or aren't 4G compatible but any 3G device is not compatible with 4G. But 4G devices will be backwards compatible with 3G service.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
right, it's not a software difference but a hardware difference. you will have to upgrade phones..
/thread

richrcp

Reaction score
I was invited to a VZW demo here in phoenix reguarding the unveiling of LTE (4G) and first of all its not rolling out till the end of 2012 i believe in most areas. They plan to have it completely rolled out the beginning of 2013 or mid 2014. The devices that are out now (at that time in october) are only 3G compatible. When 4G rolls out new devices will have to be bought. Most of the devices that will use 4G are myfi or netbooks sold by VZW. They do not plan on having many if any 4G devices for the first 6 months or so of having 4G. They do already have the technology and i got to see it with my own two eyes. 4G will change everything about mobile computing. BLAZING fast speeds, both download and upload.

Im not saying for sure our droids are or aren't 4G compatible but any 3G device is not compatible with 4G. But 4G devices will be backwards compatible with 3G service.
Very good info and the timeline seems more reasonable than some of the early info that I have read. I guess vzw is testing 4G in larger markets as we speak but how do they accomplish this without actual devices in the field????

knotbeerdan

Reaction score
They do have some devices that are in use in larger metropolitan areas. These devices are in use by VZW and partners of VZW for testing purposes. They have some devices that are already made for it such as MyFy (personal wifi) and we should start seeing these availiable to the masses around the middle of next year

dos

Reaction score

I now see where rumors get started.

Big D

Reaction score
I think it's safe to assume that most of the misinformation being disseminated is by idiot VZ sales staff that will say anything to make a sale.

DeeMat

Reaction score
By the time LTE rolls out, the Droid will be a dinosaur.