3g to 4g droid

Discussion in 'Android Forum' started by davedroid2323, Feb 1, 2010.

1. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

So has anyone announced if this means that VZW will actually adopt SIM cards?? I really hope not! The problem with GSM is that is someone steals your SIM card and pops it in another card they can steal your account...there has also been known cases of people cloning SIM cards and using someones service without them even knowing it!! (until they get the bill that is!)

I really hope they stay away from that!
  2. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    Just to confirm what was already said, once a phone supports a new "g" it is a hardware, not a software upgrade. So no, the Droid will not be a "4G" device. But also it as it was said, it will be time for a new phone by the time 4G really rolls out.
  3. 640k

640k Active Member

you're partially correct. while the G in 3G/4G just stands for "generation" (as it were), Sprint's WiiMax really has nothing to do with 4G/LTE standards.

WiMAX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

WiiMax is just a series of "hot spots" that work to improve your network's bandwidth. technically, Sprint shouldn't be "allowed" to charge you for this access as no other provider has the ability to charge you to use your wi-fi connection, but because you're using Sprint's dedicated network for WiiMax, it becomes an exception, and they use that exception to define what they call "4G". technically, Sprint calling it 4G is correct, as it's their 4th generation of network access, but the CDMA signal remans the same, effectively negating any REALY 4G benefit.

supposidly 4G/LTE ushers in the requirements for SIM cards. while security issues can exist with such a method, it opens up a whole new market for manufacturers, and you, as a consumer. having multiple cell services on the same network, with the same standards is only a win-win for consumers.

like was stated, the "G" refers to a "generation" of technology. the same applied to iphones with their 2G, 3G, 3Gs, etc. new generations often indicate new requirements. so yes, anything that will support a new generation of technology will have new requirements.

think SD vs. SDHC
    SDRAM vs. DDR vs. DDR2 vs. DDR3
    PS1 vs. PS2 vs. PS3

etc., etc.
  4. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Never had this problem in many years of using GSM. It certainly can happen but I wouldn't worry about it unless you leave your phone lying around a lot.
  5. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

the 4g will require sim cards also from what i understand, well at least the LTE.