Don't know which phone to get (suggestions needed)

MoeyMo23

Reaction score
Hello all, I am torn between what I should get for my next phone. I am currently up for a new phone on Verizon and right now I have a Envy Touch that resets itself on average twice per day and the battery life is pretty drained. I have been doing a lot of research and I know I want an Android phone over a boring Iphone. I am not really a heavy data user and I would use my phone mainly for email and moderate web browsing. I am just stuck between getting an HTC Inc2 now, or waiting for the new 4g phones to come out, like the Droid 3. I just don't know which way to go. Battery life is important to me, and if the 4g phones coming out this summer have similar battery life to the current 4g LTE phones than I don't know if they will cut it. Price is another factor for me. I really don't want to have to spend more than $200 for my next phone, and I haven't been able to get a clear read on what phones like the Bionic and the Droid 3 will be priced at (Cant tell if the amazon Bionic for $150 leak is the real deal or not). The 3rd factor is that I don't want to buy 3g phone if it is going to be dead technology in a year. I go to school at Penn State which is getting the 4g upgrade this summer. And when I am not at school I live in the suburbs of Philly where I am pretty sure there is no 4g. I honestly don't even think i would see a difference from 3g to 4g since I will mostly just be using it for moderate web browsing. And if i waited until the new 4g phones came out do you think the price on the inc2 would drop? Throw me whatever suggestions you have. Anything helpful is much appreciated.

Last edited:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
3G won't be "dead tech" in a year. 2G is still around and analog cellular only disappeared several years ago.

Browse the other "What device should I get?" threads for ideas on things you should be considering. It's really no different than shopping for anything else. Determine your needs/wants and find whatever suits you best. It never hurts to buy the fastest device with the most capacity to at least slightly mitigate upgrade-itis.

If you haven't compared devices that you're considering in person then definitely do so. Most shoppers seem to have strong preferences when it comes to keyboard/no keyboard, size. form factor, weight, screen and "build quality".

If you're buying now then don't count on rumors unless you're looking to be disappointed. Shop what's out there now.

I honestly don't even think i would see a difference from 3g to 4g since I will mostly just be using it for moderate web browsing.
"Moderate" without context doesn't mean anything. It's yet another highly subjective word that people don't see as subjective for some reason. Everyone thinks that they're the norm, in the middle, or moderate.

You don't think you'd benefit from faster data speeds for web browsing? Every bit helps IMO.

Last edited:

Card

Reaction score
Also, it's worth mentioning that while it hasn't been 100% confirmed yet, it appears that the Droid 3 will NOT be a 4G device.

And I know how you feel about deciding if you truly need 4G. There is an obvious difference in data transmission speed. However, 3G will be around for years to come. So, if you don't think you'll need it, then you may not, and you can happily surf on the 3G for a long while.