3G network shuts down at 11:00 pm

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Well a decent way to check your signal quality is to download the speedtest app and it will tell you your latency and download/upload speed, which is a relative indicator of your network link quality.

Here in (south edge of) parma ohio i manage ~65 Kb down, 80 up at best. Over in the more densely populated lakewood i will get twice those speeds most of the day, and off peak speeds will closely match the theoretical ev-do A peak about 75% of the time (about 240-265 Kb down, maybe 200 up)

Also a latency over 200 ms is a pretty bad sign unless your area is very congested most of the day.

Edit: i dont care what cell network techs consider good or best,

-55 dBm is very awesome coverage, usually gives (me) between 120 and 80 millisecond latency in theoretical tests. Great download speeds in a heavily covered area, can stream most if not all videos with no rebuffering
-70 is decent, does limit speed
-85 and you will notice much slower downloads and browsing
-90 and below and you will try to break your phone in anger.

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Quick exercise in mathematics. On a GOOD day I get -83dBm, and about 1,000 feet from the tower I get -60. Every -3dBm improvement is roughly a doubling of the signal strength, so -83, being 23 dBm lower than -60, is... 23/3 = 7.666666 etc. We'll run with just the 7. 2x2x2x2x2x2x2 = 128x less signal strength.

That's how weak my signal is here on a good day -- and we can x2x2x2 for the 9dBm different between my good day and -92 which I run on a bad day - so, 512x the signal difference.

Someone check my math if you feel like it, but you can see why -95 is the cutoff -- that's 1024x less signal than 1,000 feet from a tower. :)

nornevrder

Reaction score
Lol ok well I am lost now. I guess I will just let it go cause I am not seeing any lag as far as internet, dloads,youtube videos ext...

Sent From The Final Frontier

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Well what are your download speeds and latency clocking in at?

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Thats interesting, and unbelievably good speeds/latency for your signal strength...

Lucky you!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I'm guessing low tower-load or just better-designed towers up that way. They'd have to be high-power and darned tough! Of course, is it a CDMA Milestone or a GSM? Lots of variables. ;)

I set mine to KiloBytes instead of Kilobits per second and I topped out at 110.2 with a ping of 360. What's interesting about that is with a ping of 160 I was getting higher uploads than downloads (before I swapped from Kilobits/s) -- 462kbps and 580kbps respectively.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Furbearing that is what i was talking about...

And after doing some light reading i am kinda hard pressed to follow that a signal as weak as -93dBm can hold a 1.2 Mb/s connection over ev-do. Are you perchance on a umts network or hspa+/hsupa?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
The tower I'm pulling in right now was built middle of last year, though, and I have another tower that was built about 7/8 years ago about the same distance away and I can see that one from my roof.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
just tested with my phone held up against the window, 90 Kb down, 110 up, 125 ms ping.

3 feet away from the window though, i get maybe half that if lucky. Ping stays relatively the same.

Also i have had a nagging suspicion for years that phone makers/providers code the bar display to sorta lie to you about your signal quality...I really do not consider -85 dBm to be 2 out of 4 bars.

Well, looking at it another way;
-110 is the absulute (or nearly) limit of signal, and -55 is roughly the best you may ever see...(although i have heard that my uncles (now defunct, replaced with droid pro) iphone can get -43 in a very good area on a good day...dont shoot me)

That averages out to -82.5dBm, which mathematically is the half point :/ Look at me proving myself wrong haha! But really you are correct, and -93 is NOT 3 bars. Thus also proving me right, I guess o_O

Dont make me feel bad Ive been awake for almost 28 hours.

d3vilfish

Reaction score
Might have missed this if somebody brought it up sorry but everyday same time no matter what location you are at is a phone issue not network issue. Have you reset phone to factory default.

im not liable :)

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is quite interesting.

I never see above -80dbm and I have no call quality or upload/download issues.

nornevrder

Reaction score
From what I have been told fur is this is a actual droid but since my carrier is not verizon they had to call it a milestone. I guess verizon owns the droid name. So that is the reason I have not had any problems flashing "droid" roms. Fur if u remember a little while ago my buddy messed his phone up well come to find out he flashed a actual milestone rom.

Sent From The Final Frontier