3G Network Question.

Reaction score
Happens to me all the time too. Grr. They just set me back to factory default today in the store, which did nothing but delete all my text messages, apps, and settings and in general, annoy the crap out of me. Still dropping. Ugh.

Reaction score
mines been doing this a fair amount lately. where the 3g will disconnect, and that red line with the circle will come up. sometimes it'll drop from 3g to 1x randomly for reasons i don't know, because ive always had great service in my area. my mom has a blackberry and my dad has an lg vortex, and when this happened to my phone i asked my parents how their signal was and they both had 3g with a good 3 bars of connection. so it must be a phone issue.

lazarus01

Reaction score
I've noticed the same thing since they" upgraded" their system to accommodate the iPhone integration. And they did just publicly release a notice that heavy bandwith users will be "throttled back" to allow the massive influx of new users. That, in reality, will affect everybody. It doesn't seem plausible to go through the entire system to pinpoint single users of heavy useage. But areas of the network (e.g. between specific towers) can be regulated.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Bradyj

Reaction score
Same problem here. I travel all over and my phone will be using 3G and then it will just drop off for 30 seconds to a minute and then it will start using it again. Very annoying.

pissedoffgokart

Reaction score
My D2 has done this since I have owned it. 3G w/ 4 bars, drops to 1x with 1. Then seconds later I am back up and normal. It seems to hunt on occasion. Once in a blue moon I have had to resort to toggling Airplane mode on and off to get it to send data! I think it is a phone issue (early production run) if memory serves me correctly. IDK.

Reaction score
It would be at least somewhat tolerable if it would occur when you're not using the stupid thing, but when you've been on hold for twenty minutes waiting to speak to someone and it doesn't happen once, but three times, and the phone is as if you were never on the phone, that's an issue. It also will do it to me when I'm writing a text message. Seriously, I had practically written a small novella and was about to send it when it did its thing, which deleted everything I had written completely out of existence. That is a major problem if you ask me.

Reaction score
So they sent me a new phone. I restored all my apps and everything, and bam. It started again. I went in again today and I was given the option to brick it again because it is most likely an app doing it. So, I told them no and that I would uninstall everything manualy, because I'm sick of having to restore my contacts and lose my text messages. So, before I do that, I'm going to list all my apps here so possibly compare notes and see if we have apps in common. I'm going to uninstall everything and then reinstall them one at a time over a period of time to see if it is one of them causing it.
  • Foursquare
  • Starbucks Card Widget
  • Advanced Task Manager
  • Kid Mode: Play + Learn
  • Toddler Lock
  • The Moron Test
  • Dropbox
  • Adobe Air
  • Amazon MP3
  • YouTube
  • Gmail
  • Flash Player 10.1
  • Google Search
  • Street View on Google Maps
  • Grocery King v5.0
  • MyBookDroid
  • AppBrain App Market
  • Barcode Scanner
  • Fandango Movies
  • shopkick
  • VIP Access
  • Medscape
  • USAA Mobile
  • Key Ring Reward Cards
  • Bible (LifeChurch.tv)
  • Facebook for Android
  • Google Chrome to Phone
  • GetGlue
  • Waze: Community GPS
  • Angry Birds Seasons
  • Angry Birds
  • My Verizon
  • Google Maps
  • Skype mobile on Verizon
  • Voice Search
  • Kindle
  • Socializer (Paid version)

If you have any of those, perhaps it is one of them. Of course it could be something entirely different, who knows?

Edit:
Notes for my own and your knowledge.
Currently installed apps:
  • Factory reset, apps installed on Feb 15, 2011, all apps updated, set to manual update.
    • Adobe Flash Player 10.1
    • Amazon Kindle
    • Amazon MP3
    • Blockbuster
    • Google Search
    • Maps
    • Market
    • My Verizon Mobile
    • Skype Mobile
    • Voice Search
Network Services Running:
Bluetooth
Accounts Setup:
Gmail
So far, so good. Who knows what will happen if I turn on WiFi or GPS.

WiFi and GPS are both turned on. Had no issues running it in five hours, so I installed Foursquare with no continued problems. A few hours later, I installed Facebook again with no issues. I will let it run overnight and if there are no issues, I'm going to move onto my GPS program.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
EXCUSE THE CAPS FOR SOME REASON MY KEYBOARD WONT LET ME LOWERCASE :/

MAYBE ITS THE COVERAGE IN YOUR HOUSE IS CRAPPY?

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Is your task manager doing anything with contacts storage, dialer, or dialer storage?

So they sent me a new phone. I restored all my apps and everything, and bam. It started again. I went in again today and I was given the option to brick it again because it is most likely an app doing it. So, I told them no and that I would uninstall everything manualy, because I'm sick of having to restore my contacts and lose my text messages. So, before I do that, I'm going to list all my apps here so possibly compare notes and see if we have apps in common. I'm going to uninstall everything and then reinstall them one at a time over a period of time to see if it is one of them causing it.
  • Foursquare
  • Starbucks Card Widget
  • Advanced Task Manager
  • Kid Mode: Play + Learn
  • Toddler Lock
  • The Moron Test
  • Dropbox
  • Adobe Air
  • Amazon MP3
  • YouTube
  • Gmail
  • Flash Player 10.1
  • Google Search
  • Street View on Google Maps
  • Grocery King v5.0
  • MyBookDroid
  • AppBrain App Market
  • Barcode Scanner
  • Fandango Movies
  • shopkick
  • VIP Access
  • Medscape
  • USAA Mobile
  • Key Ring Reward Cards
  • Bible (LifeChurch.tv)
  • Facebook for Android
  • Google Chrome to Phone
  • GetGlue
  • Waze: Community GPS
  • Angry Birds Seasons
  • Angry Birds
  • My Verizon
  • Google Maps
  • Skype mobile on Verizon
  • Voice Search
  • Kindle
  • Socializer (Paid version)

If you have any of those, perhaps it is one of them. Of course it could be something entirely different, who knows?

DroidForums Junkie!!

Reaction score
Is your task manager doing anything with contacts storage, dialer, or dialer storage?
*SNIP*
DroidForums Junkie!!

I doubt it's ATM, because it was doing it before I installed that. If you see above, I edited my post and am back to stock as far as apps go.

Reaction score
And holy snap. It just did it again with nothing installed. Ugh, I'm going to brick it and try that.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Gotcha. Just something I've seen cause that.

DroidForums Junkie!!

Reaction score
It's not the house. It happens everywhere, driving down the street, walking around, everywhere. It doesn't matter where I am. There's another Droid (an Incredible) that is in the house too that has no problems at all. They can be talking on their phone when I have mine on, and my bluetooth will tell me what it loves to tell me oh so much: Phone one not connected; headset not connected.... Phone one connected. That's how I know something is up. Or I can just watch it happen, but usually I don't have to if my headset is on. So, just bricked and will update apps as installed above, but that doesn't seem to be the problem at all.