$30 for a charging dock? Not in this lifetime.

OP
N

Nolano

Reaction score
Been a while since I've welded, always enjoyed watching a good bead being layed. I'd worry about scratching the table, and wonder how it would look dipped in some of that plastic dip stuff for tools.

cool project, love it!

images

I rounded off the edges on the bottom. It won't scratch.

claustin

Reaction score
epoxy would hold forever. or some of that gunk billy mays use to sell.

cuskit

Reaction score
Cool! I like it, though would prefer it to be buffed up a bit. I'm not big on the "rustic' look. I do admire your initiative making your own. I went that route back in Nov '09! ;)

How are you holding the magnet on? Is that hot melted also? Looking forward to the Droid mounted. You can always use a mirror to take a mounted photo! ;) mikey

Last edited:
OP
N

Nolano

Reaction score

Yeah, I've thought about that. But hot glue is less permanent, and I wasn't sure this was how I wanted it to be.

Good idea, but paint that thing asap.

If I wanted to paint it, I wouldn't have made it out of stainless steel. I didn't pay three times as much in material just to cover it up.

Cool! I like it, though would prefer it to be buffed up a bit. I'm not big on the "rustic' look. I do admire your initiative making your own. I went that route back in Nov '09! ;)

How are you holding the magnet on? Is that hot melted also? Looking forward to the Droid mounted. You can always use a mirror to take a mounted photo! ;) mikey

I'm leaning towards buffing it. I like the shiny with heat line look, but as I weld other parts the earlier parts look worse.
The magnet is taped on, I'll more permanently affix it at some point.

I'll post a mounted picture tomorrow, I'm not sure where my camera is. And if I get around to buffing it, I'll post that too.

orangepeel

Reaction score

JB weld would work. I've used it on my dirtbikes to get out of some pretty bad situations like a cracked water pump case,and a cracked clutch cover.....it wasn't pretty though.

I like your stand Nolano...well done.:)

Detonation

Reaction score
I wanted the multimedia dock/clock/alarm/etc functionality for my desk and my bedside table, but $30 seemed out of the question for a charger with a plastic stand attached to it.

I paid $14 for mine. Who actually buys stuff at full MSRP?

OP
N

Nolano

Reaction score
Nice stand , but it looks a little flimsy .

I guarantee you it's stronger than the stock stand. It's extremely solid. You actually can't even flex it at all with your bare hands.

cuskit

Reaction score

Big Cam

Reaction score
Kudo's for making your own but IMO it looks stupid. I love the look of the Moto dock that I only paid $20 for.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
I guarantee you it's stronger than the stock stand. It's extremely solid. You actually can't even flex it at all with your bare hands.

Lol, I think he was being sarcastic, or atleast I hope he was.

That's where smiley's help to relay a more accurate statement! :happy: mikey :)

Broken Chrome , no smiley from me . there I fixed the problem :icon_ banana:

I think with some curves would look better , or some 45 degrees corners .

xliderider

Reaction score
Wish I had welding skills/equipment. If I did, then I could build just about anything...

I have to agree that your stand looks too industrial for my taste. I would have definitely rounded off the top corners of the dock and base pieces as those sharp corners look like they could cause injury.

Do you have access to a sandblaster? I think it would look good with a sand/bead blasted finish, it would give it a softer look.

OP
N

Nolano

Reaction score
Wish I had welding skills/equipment. If I did, then I could build just about anything...

I have to agree that your stand looks too industrial for my taste. I would have definitely rounded off the top corners of the dock and base pieces as those sharp corners look like they could cause injury.

Do you have access to a sandblaster? I think it would look good with a sand/bead blasted finish, it would give it a softer look.

Actually, all sharp corners have been broken. It won't cut you.

I mainly made it as I did because doing it like this was fast. Curves and angles all take a lot of time. And in this line of work... Time is money. All told I'm looking at $4.50 for the steel and the charging cable, and about 15 minutes work. I might work a curve or two into it, but I'd have to grind them in at this point, and that's the opposite of fun.

I do plan to clean it up somewhat, and probably buff it to shiny. I have access to a sand blaster, but I hate sand blasting, and the finish left by the sand they use is courser than what I would want.