$30 for a charging dock? Not in this lifetime.

Nolano

Reaction score
I wanted the multimedia dock/clock/alarm/etc functionality for my desk and my bedside table, but $30 seemed out of the question for a charger with a plastic stand attached to it. So I made one.
6a3402eb.jpg

It's made of TIG welded 14GA stainless steel. Overall cost about $6.

If anyone wants, I'll take a picture with the droid in, but right now my droid is the only camera handy.

Zargon

Reaction score
That's cool, but I prefer the look of the OEM dock.

OP
N

Nolano

Reaction score
It has a magnet. You put the phone in, and the dock launches.

JimmyD

Reaction score
:) That's hardcore! I love the industrial look of the welded unfinished metal.

Please post up a pic with the Droid in that beast when you get a chance.

mantis5

Reaction score
Since I don't own welding equipment (or know how to weld), I find the OEM dock more economical. ;)

That said, I like the industrial look of your dock and I commend your initiative. :rockon:

OP
N

Nolano

Reaction score
I'm currently deciding between leaving it as is, or buffing it to a mirror finish.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Haha I love working with metal dude. You should buff it up and then put down a pattern or somehting in tape, then sandblast the hell out of it! Got to love metals.

drjoek

Reaction score
Jeff Foxworthy called he needs to speak with you ASAP

OP
N

Nolano

Reaction score
Jeff Foxworthy called he needs to speak with you ASAP

Here's a tip, most rednecks can't weld worth a damn. Especially TIG, it requires great finesse and skill.

claustin

Reaction score
I'm willing to bet the ratio of rednecks who can weld to rednecks who can't is pretty close to most other lifestyle demographics. You're thinking hillbillies ;)

cool stand though. Wish i had the time and skill to try it. How'd you get the cable to stay in?

Last edited:

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Been a while since I've welded, always enjoyed watching a good bead being layed. I'd worry about scratching the table, and wonder how it would look dipped in some of that plastic dip stuff for tools.

cool project, love it!

images

OP
N

Nolano

Reaction score
I'm willing to bet the ratio of rednecks who can weld to rednecks who can't is pretty close to most other lifestyle demographics. You're thinking hillbillies ;)

cool stand though. Wish i had the time and skill to try it. How'd you get the cable to stay in?

Hot glue. Lots. It's surprisingly solid. If it proves to be unreliable I'll figure something else out.