24hrs only - MOBI Cup Holder Mount for $3

OP
joker23

joker23

Reaction score
understand it's a misrepresented product, not that I'm missing parts to make it work with a droid...

That is correct. It was described as being capable of holding GPS units and cell phones. If you go to Mobi's web site, you can see that their current products have a universal clamp style holder. The units in the link I posted have 5 different brackets for the various GPS manufacturers...not cell phones. Without some modification on the user's part, these are not going to be useful for any cell phone.

As I stated, I will probably attach the flattest bracket with 2-sided tape to a spare silicone cover. I stuck the mount in my cupholder and held my Droid where it would be attached, and I really like it. It's just going to cost me 12 bucks more than I though it would. But really, for a total of 20 bucks (mount $3, shipping $5, silicone cover $12), it still might be a decent deal depending on what you do with it.

Good luck to those of you who payed for these.

DreamOperator

Reaction score
Hi-five joker23! I bought two as well.

Thanks for detailing the situation. Certainly disappointing, but not your fault for the link. The picture made this look like it would be perfect. I still appreciate that you took the time to share your find. Perhaps I'll do something similar to what you mentioned.

I just whipped off an email to 1saleaday:

"ORDER NUMBER:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The item, Mobi GPS Gear Universal Cupholder Mount for GPS (70078) was misrepresented on your website. The photograph showed a clamp mount and described the product as being capable of holding GPS units and cell phones. The item did not arrive with the parts shown in the picture and is useless to me because of that.

What can you do to resolve this situation?

Tim"

I'll update as I know more.

Last edited:

DreamOperator

Reaction score
I also sent an email to Mobi:

"I recently received two of item 70078 from a sale on 1saleaday.com. Order number: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

The item arrived as it should have, with all parts included. However, the website was using photos and text from 70073, which shows and describes the universal clamp. Because of those pictures and the description on the site, I purchased two of these. One for my Motorola Droid and one for my roommates cell phone. Unfortunately, they are useless to us without the clamp.

I am writing first and foremost to alert your company that this happened. I have already sent an email to 1saleaday's customer service department and asked what they can do to resolve the situation. Is there anything that Mobi can do? Can I purchase the clamp directly from Mobi?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Tim"

DreamOperator

Reaction score
I Googled "mobi70078" and the first link took me to 70073 on Mobi's site (which I cannot find by navigating.), which shows the photos we were seeing on 1saleaday.

Mobi 70078 Universal Cupholder Mount for GPS with reversible QuikGrip…easy to install and easy to use

Edit: Interesting that the link shows that it's for 70078. Here's what I copied/pasted, except www changed to mmm so it will display the location instead of the description:

http://mmm.getmobi.com/Cupholder_Mount.php

@Juggernaut: At least that site you linked shows the pic with the clamp and shows 1saleaday. I took a screenshot of that and will send it to either company, depending on the replies I get. Better than nothing!

Last edited:

DreamOperator

Reaction score
You're welcome.

I received a reply from Mobi:

Hello Tim,

We have sold all GPS gear to a closeout liquidator firm. We just found out this morning what 1saleaday's has done over the weekend.
At this time we do not have any parts of accessories for the 70078. I am sorry but you would need to get this resolved from 1saleaday.

Do you have any picture what they were selling?

Jason XXXXXXX
Customer Service"

I replied:

"Hello Jason,

Thanks for your reply. It's not exactly what I was hoping to hear, but I understand the situation.

The product is no longer displayed on their site. However, another person in the same situation showed me a site that shows the deal. I have attached the photo, as well as link.

MOBI 70078 Universal GPS Cup Mounting System - Works With All Major Brands! - dealspl.us

Tim"

DreamOperator

Reaction score
I sent another email:

"One more thing, Jason.

You said "
At this time we do not have any parts of accessories for the 70078"

The part that I and the others in this situation need is actually part of 70073. The clamp looks like it would mount on the gooseneck that the 70078 has. Is there any possibility of the part being available?

Thanks,

Tim"

Jason replied:

"Hello Tim,

We never made part number 70073 it was just a mock up for pictures. I am not sure how they got some of our pictures, but we do have the claw in the other GPS models @ Mobi 70070 Universal Visor Mount for GPS with reversible QuickGrip and anti-theft storage… easy to install and easy to use . You can kind of use the claw with the Cupholder that you bought.

Jason XXXXX"

It all makes sense after that, at least I think it does. So I replied:

"Hello Jason,

I believe I now know how they got those photos.

When I searched Google for "mobi70078" (without the quotes), the first listing on the page was this:

Mobi 70078 Universal Cupholder Mount for GPS with reversible QuikGrip…easy to install and easy to use

When I pasted that link into droidforums.net today (discussing this issue with others in the same boat), it displayed this text "Mobi 70078 Universal Cupholder Mount for GPS with reversible QuikGrip…easy to install and easy to use" but it points to the photos of the 70073.

It is unfortunate that photos of a mock up remain available on your site. They should be labeled as such to prevent issues like this. I feel this is more a fault of Mobi than it is 1saleaday at this point.

With all due respect, "kind of use with your claw" doesn't sound very promising. I need a definite solution to this issue. From viewing the photos for the visor and the vent GPS holders, I do not see how they could interface with 70078. Can you provide specific instruction and detail that will prove it will work?

Tim"

OP
joker23

joker23

Reaction score
When I was browsing Mobi's site, I didn't see a cupholder mount at all. Also, all of the Mobi pictures I can find, in the aforementioned link as well as on their site, all of the mounts have a single knob (?) for the adapter to slide onto, whereas the mounts I received have double knobs.

(edit: didn't read the last page before reply...sorry for any confusion if you read the post "pre-edit")

Last edited:

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
When I was browsing Mobi's site, I didn't see a cupholder mount at all. Also, all of the Mobi pictures I can find, in the aforementioned link as well as on their site, all of the mounts have a single knob (?) for the adapter to slide onto, whereas the mounts I received have double knobs.

(edit: didn't read the last page before reply...sorry for any confusion if you read the post "pre-edit")

What a rip off. Total misrepresentation of what they are selling and what we ended up getting with no recourse.

jaydog88

Reaction score
I bought this too and am very upset... I paid with paypal and wonder if I could get my money back through them, being it not the correct item they were selling?

Juggernaut

Reaction score
I never received a reply from 1saleaday so I decided to start a dispute on paypal. Two hours later I get a response:
Thank you for contacting support; they will assist your further with receiving a replacement or a refund.
Looks like I will be getting a refund unless they can get me an attachment that holds my droid. I will update when they reply.

Juggernaut

Reaction score
Update:
My refund was declined and they aren't willing to fix the issue. I will not be doing business again with this company and will be leaving negative feedback on reseller ratings.