24 hours in my S5 and loving it. Can you folks answer a couple Q's for me?

Gomo

Reaction score
So I got the phone around noon yesterday, gave it a full charge w/the 2Amp charger in about 30 minute (was 64% full) and unplugged it. Been playing with the phone a lot and have had wifi on since I got it. 27 hours later, I'm at 45% battery! Amazing, how is that possible? I charged my Razr 2x a day from birth. The GUI is nice, screen is beautiful, and the video and pics are REAL NICE. Don't see any choppiness in the video at all. My buyers remouse is OVER. Now I do have a couple Q's maybe the S crowd can help me with:
1. On my razor the keyboard had cursor arrows so when you put your finger in the text and didn't get the cursor placement just right to correct something you could arrow up/down/left/right instead of touching the screen a hundred times or deleting the whole word. Do the GS phones have this option I'm missing? I'll really miss it if not, but oh well.
2. When swyping a word like "it's" on the razor you simply swyped over the apostrophe and it got the word right and punctuated properly. EVERY time I have to swype a word with an apostrophe on my S5 I have to stop swyping and manually type the word in. Again, am I missing something? Is there a setting for this?
3. I belong to a couple auto forums and use the Autoguide app. Whenever I click the link in a forum notification gmail I get the "use Google Chrome or Autoguide" popup window. When I select Autoguide it says "connecting to server" and then "The forum is not available in Tapatalk, please contact your forum administrator". Now if I launch the autoguide app on my phone everything is fine, but then I have to navigate the forum to get to where the link should take me. Any ideas on this one?
4. Finally, the whole hand gesture, air gesture whatever thing. It just doesn't work. I have all the boxes checked and weather I'm on a long email, website, forum, in my gallery or whatever the icon that should show up if it's available never does. I try waving my hand anyway and nuthin'.

Any ideas appreciated, but all in all a GREAT PHONE!

debdroid1a

Reaction score
I don't see the arrows. Just touch where you want it, a blue box comes up and you can move the cursor where you want to go.

Just swipe over i t s and comes up its, then from the choices choose it's, with an apostrophe. Since will automatically change like the word don't.

The others I can't answer.

mslaceyrose

Reaction score
Hi Gomo, and Welcome :) Congrats on your new phone!

I don't have the phone in front of me at the moment, but on the Samsung KB, I don't remember seeing the arrow keys, at least not on the top screen.
I use SwiftKey on all my devices. It's an amazing keyboard. It has an option to always show the arrow keys on the top tier.
Also, when 'Flowing' (SwiftKey's name for swype, or gesture typing) I don't have to stop to tap the apostophe key, or even swype over it. The KB just 'knows' that it needs to insert one.
It's got the best word prediction capabilities of all that I've tried, and it 'learns' your commonly used words and phrases, and syncs them between all the mobile devices you use.

da2zoe

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
1. On my razor the keyboard had cursor arrows so when you put your finger in the text and didn't get the cursor placement just right to correct something you could arrow up/down/left/right instead of touching the screen a hundred times or deleting the whole word. Do the GS phones have this option I'm missing? I'll really miss it if not, but oh well.
2. When swyping a word like "it's" on the razor you simply swyped over the apostrophe and it got the word right and punctuated properly. EVERY time I have to swype a word with an apostrophe on my S5 I have to stop swyping and manually type the word in. Again, am I missing something? Is there a setting for this?
I'm not sure if you're using the stock keyboard or not....but I agree with Lacey. I would recommend SwiftKey. You can add the arrow in settings. I use that feature a lot. Swiping from the apostrophe and some similar features were something that Swype keyboard did. And I think Swype's word prediction was a tad better than SwiftKey. But imo Swype is un-usable with the lack of bug fixes by their devs. The lag is beyond irritating. My 2 cents.

3. I belong to a couple auto forums and use the Autoguide app. Whenever I click the link in a forum notification gmail I get the "use Google Chrome or Autoguide" popup window. When I select Autoguide it says "connecting to server" and then "The forum is not available in Tapatalk, please contact your forum administrator". Now if I launch the autoguide app on my phone everything is fine, but then I have to navigate the forum to get to where the link should take me. Any ideas on this one?
Have you tried the Chrome option? Chrome is my go-to browser and sometimes I get that question when linking from Gmail. Not sure why that happens. But when I select Chrome, I usually get a second window asking if I want to use Tapatalk. That's when I choose the "always" it. Next time the link in Gmail works.

OP
G

Gomo

Reaction score
Have you tried the Chrome option? Chrome is my go-to browser and sometimes I get that question when linking from Gmail. Not sure why that happens. But when I select Chrome, I usually get a second window asking if I want to use Tapatalk. That's when I choose the "always" it. Next time the link in Gmail works.

Yeah, chrome's my goto as well. Thing is if I click the link in gmail and launch using chrome I have to log into the forum everytime which is annoying. With autoguide it has me logged into any of the forums I'm on. I never got a choice to use tapatalk and have no idea why i'm getting that error as I've never downloaded the app.

GMan.

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can't really answer your questions off-hand... but that battery life report is astonishing!! I thought I was doing great on my S3 when I hit 20hrs with 3hrs 54mins screen on time and had 12% left iirc (custom rom of course)