S5 or HTC M8?

josh1980

Reaction score
So I've had the S5 for a few days. Happy with it for the most part. It's a little thin for my big hands, but once I put an otterbox on it it'll be fine.

So I see stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DChf8nhi2tM&feature=youtu.be&t=1m24s

I won't lie. I noticed this first on my S5. I would have expected super fast transition between apps when I've installed nothing on the phone yet. After all, more apps installed definitely means slower speeds as time goes on. But on a brand new state-of-the-art phone.. how can that be acceptable?

Being that:

1. The S5 isn't yet rootable on Verizon. Undoubtedly this will probably be solved *someday*. But this also means that future updates are going to potentially have this delay which isn't particularly fun either.
2. Verizon seems to be pretty hostile towards rooting and roms on their Galaxy phones. I'm not a fan of roms, but if I can't root, that's a deal-breaker for me.
3. The fact that the HTC One M8 performs faster than the S5 with stock software, I can't help but wonder if that kind of stuff will be straightened out or not.

I have like 10 days to do an exchange, and I'm not a fan of buying a product because of what it "might" be in the future. I buy it for what it actually *is*. Right now I'm having buyers remorse over the S5.

I've never been a Samsung fan with regards to phones. I've been waiting for the S5 to be released because I needed to upgrade. Right now I'm feeling like I bought a phone because of the hardware specs and the OS & software is just complete crap. Let's face it though, Samsung has no pressure to fix OS & software that doesn't perform as well on their superior hardware compared to inferior hardware elsewhere.

One of my friends said I should rely on ROMs to solve my problems. Of course, he's not particularly technical. I have to do his rooting and stuff. My problem with that is that ROMs aren't always simple to install, and it appears that Verizon is keeping the bootloader locked which precludes me from using any of the cool ROMs(from what I understand anyway). VZW really sucks for power users. :(

Any thoughts? Am I being pedantic over this? Should I just stfu and keep this phone? Being that this is the most expensive phone I've ever purchased I'm really feeling disappointed right now. Haven't restored my apps because I can't restore without TiBu (and therefore root). I'm kind of seeing the phone for what it is without the glory of my apps and I'm just not feeling the "wow factor" I thought I was.

Paul_Aris

Reaction score
Maybe I'm to simple bit I see nothing wrong with using the Samsung stock. Of course I came from Motorola so it already is a big improvment.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
OP
J

josh1980

Reaction score
I haven't bought one yet. I hadn't even had the phone 48 hours and I was pretty disappointed with it. The store only had pink(yeah.. pink for a man.. no thanks). I was going to order one the following Monday, but after seeing how totally disappointed I am with the S5 I haven't ordered one yet. Tomorrow I hope to go see an M8 and hold it and see if I like it. At this point though, I'm really not seeing any pressing reason to keep the S5 and plenty of reasons to look elsewhere.

I really feel like Samsung has successfully suckered me because of the brand name and not on the merits of the phone. That's okay though, everyone makes mistakes. :)

coolicool

Official DF Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
m8 is too big for me,i like S5 better

Sent from my iNew V3 using Tapatalk

Paul_Aris

Reaction score
What part of the S5 is disappointing you other than color?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

wcjeep

Reaction score
Here's a few ideas to speed things up. In addition to the article turn off Smart View. This really slows down the phone.

karte

Reaction score
I have 4 more days to decide about the M8, there some stuff in Gs5 that I don't like, for example you either have to listen to stupid tone when you hit the dial pad or when you turn it off you don't hear anything. What happened to the normal tone when you dial a number?

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
S5 is much better. I was having this same debate so I went and played with both the phones. S5 is just a better phone plus you know you will get updates for awhile.

S5 is by far the best phone i've ever used.

Reaction score
S5 is much better. I was having this same debate so I went and played with both the phones. S5 is just a better phone plus you know you will get updates for awhile.

S5 is by far the best phone i've ever used.

I agree! I played with a couple other phones before deciding on the S5, and it by far was the best of the new phone bunch.

tc1

Reaction score
I had an s3,s4,moto x, currently have an HTC one m8... I'm returning it for the s5.

I miss the oled screens, they look much more pleasing to the eye.

Plus, the m8's an incredibly slippery hard to hold phone. The "Boom sound" speakers are VERY overrated, the s4's speakers actually sound louder believe it or not.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I had an s3,s4,moto x, currently have an HTC one m8... I'm returning it for the s5.

I miss the oled screens, they look much more pleasing to the eye.

Plus, the m8's an incredibly slippery hard to hold phone. The "Boom sound" speakers are VERY overrated, the s4's speakers actually sound louder believe it or not.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Check out the LG G3. I think you will find it to be the best. Unfortunately, it won't be available till the end of next month.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just switched carriers and when deciding between the Note3 and S5 I ended up going with the LG G2. I am so over Samsung and Touch Wiz plus I got VERY close to the screen size of my Note2 but a much smaller in hand device. The G2 actually has a smidge more usable screen than my Note2. The G3 is going to use the same no bezel idea
HTC? Twice bitten, no third chance even considered for me personally.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tc1

Reaction score
I hated the buttons being on the back of the phone

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
TBH I'm not really impressed with that feature myself, but it will be interesting to try it out in person. :thumbup:

tap'n

Last edited: