2.3 update for droid2? Whats the deal!??

lilbkro77

Reaction score
Look, i know ppl have been talking about this one for a while but i just want a clear cut answer. Ive read many websites that say u can get it now by clicking system update but my phone says no updates are available. Is it available? If not... when!????:blackdroid::greendroid::reddroid::heart:

dbst

Reaction score
No it's not out yet, we will get it eventually

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

kptphalkon

Reaction score
It is much more likely, from what Ive heard, that Google is more or less skipping 2.3 to push out a 2.3+honeycomb (a.k.a 2.4) variant that incorporates dual core optimizations with optimizations for single core phones to run dual core apps.

The fear is that single core phones will have major issues running apps that will be developed to run natively on a dual core.

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
^ what he said..

There's only one phone running 2.3 in any official form and that's the Nexus S. Everything else is going to skip to 2.4.

Sent from somewhere...

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i highly doubt the droid 2 will get gingerbread officially. The droid 2 will reach its "end of life" AKA discontinued next month. Verizon isnt going to waste their time/money rolling out an update for a phone thats going to be discontinued within a few weeks.

im almost willing to bet the droid 2 wont see anything official past froyo.

the droid x is also being discontinued next month too so it most likely wont receive gingerbread either.

Reaction score
i highly doubt the droid 2 will get gingerbread officially. The droid 2 will reach its "end of life" AKA discontinued next month. Verizon isnt going to waste their time/money rolling out an update for a phone thats going to be discontinued within a few weeks.

the droid x is also being discontinued next month too so it most likely wont receive gingerbread either.

lol there is no way they are going to give up on the D2 and especially not the DX, after the D1 the DX is motorola's best selling phone. why would they piss off so many people off by not updating the phone?

i believe we will see an update but who knows how long....

Last edited:

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

lol there is no way they are going to give up on the D2 and especially not the DX, after the D1 the DX is motorola's best selling phone. why would they piss off so many people off by not updating the phone?

because both of those phones are scheduled to be EOL/discontinued at the end of march.

once a device reached EOL there are no more updates regardless on how many sold.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I'd like to think that all these people under a one or even two year contract get some recognition and support regardless of the manufacturer's EOL. Verizon wants to make money, money comes from customers, pissed off customers dont give money.

Or are there really 26 million smartphone users who actually upgrade to the latest and greatest, out-of-pocket, every single time something new pushes their model into the grave?

**** That

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G

littlerick

Reaction score
i'm pretty sure the droid 1 got updates well after its end of life. p3droid has a gingerbread build for his development droid x so i'm sure it will come to both phones eventually.

vandums

Reaction score
The original Droid is up to Froyo far after eol.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Eol has nothing to do with updates. Come on. Vzw doesn't have anything to with updates. Come on again. Motorola is the one that decides which devices get what and when. Vzw provides the cell service for Motorola device software and hardware. See samsung and lack of froyo.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
The carrier AND the manufacturer both determine updates. Look at the Samsung fiasco. Neither carrier nor manufacturer wants to pony up the money associating with updating phones.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
I would like to think both the DX and D2 will get the same if not better support from Moto than the original D1...meaning, almost 3 years after its release its still being updated with OS revisions...

Moto may prove me wrong, and Verizon may try to throw a wrench in the gears, but I will err on the side of caution and go as far as to say, that it seems "pointless" to me to continue selling a device for what amounts to $150-$400 and not be willing to maintain updates of said device. That would be a fine way of having your customers leave your service and manufacturer and go somewhere else...

AngryHatter

Reaction score
I would like to think both the DX and D2 will get the same if not better support from Moto than the original D1...meaning, almost 3 years after its release its still being updated with OS revisions...

Moto may prove me wrong, and Verizon may try to throw a wrench in the gears, but I will err on the side of caution and go as far as to say, that it seems "pointless" to me to continue selling a device for what amounts to $150-$400 and not be willing to maintain updates of said device. That would be a fine way of having your customers leave your service and manufacturer and go somewhere else...

You make a good point and case for update.
We'll see!

OP
L

lilbkro77

Reaction score
thanks. wut did u send this from out of curiosity? Fission 2.4.3 D2G???