2.1 still doesn't fix basic bugs

slinky

Reaction score
Very disappointing. I'm looking at my call log. I am still having a hard time figuring out who called when because... after at least six months from what I've seen... the bug of "hours ago" and "yesterday" has not been fixed. How simple is this fix guys?

For those of you who don't understand, the phone calls "yesterday" a period of over 24 hours ago from the current time. If it's Tuesday at 1am, "Yesterday" begins Monday at 1am and continues back 24 hours into the day before yesterday - Sunday.

To explain: let's say it's 3am Tuesday, you made a call at 2am Tuesday. You also made a call at 10pm Monday, 7am Monday and at 11pm Sunday. Your phone will say you made a call 1 hour ago (2am) - ok, that works. Then it will say you made a call 5 hours ago (that's ok) which is technically correct even though that is "Yesterday." It will say that the call made at 7am was made "18 hours ago" and the call made on Sunday - two named days ago - was made "yesterday." Calls further back will say "two days ago." So is that Sunday or Saturday? It's impossible to tell. This is so stupid. Just give us the date if you can't get something this simple correct as a proper phone log.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Very disappointing. I'm looking at my call log. I am still having a hard time figuring out who called when because... after at least six months from what I've seen... the bug of "hours ago" and "yesterday" has not been fixed. How simple is this fix guys?

For those of you who don't understand, the phone calls "yesterday" a period of over 24 hours ago from the current time. If it's Tuesday at 1am, "Yesterday" begins Monday at 1am and continues back 24 hours into the day before yesterday - Sunday.

To explain: let's say it's 3am Tuesday, you made a call at 2am Tuesday. You also made a call at 10pm Monday, 7am Monday and at 11pm Sunday. Your phone will say you made a call 1 hour ago (2am) - ok, that works. Then it will say you made a call 5 hours ago (that's ok) which is technically correct even though that is "Yesterday." It will say that the call made at 7am was made "18 hours ago" and the call made on Sunday - two named days ago - was made "yesterday." Calls further back will say "two days ago." So is that Sunday or Saturday? It's impossible to tell. This is so stupid. Just give us the date if you can't get something this simple correct as a proper phone log.

My head hurts

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score

My head hurts

Yeah, it's confusing. Look at your call log and it's worse. :( You'll never know who called.

Problem: All calls made more than 24 hours ago are called "yesterday" on the phone even if the day, as we understand it, is 2 days ago.

Time now is 12:01AM Tuesday

"Yesterday" should be all calls made on Monday
"2 days ago" should be all calls made on Sunday

What happens:

Call made at 11pm on Monday is "1 hour ago." That would be fine but...

Call made at 11pm Sunday is "Yesterday."
Call made at 11pm Saturday is "2 days ago.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I get what you're saying...but I don't get why it really matters that much?

Maybe it's the way you use the phone for talking, but I'm only really concerned with my call log when I've missed a call for the most part.

If I received a call from a number not in my phonebook and wanted to call them back later, I just scroll down and find it. Since I don't get a lot of those, it doesn't really matter to me what "day" the phone thinks that person called on.

I guess I just don't understand the major complaint with the way it is. I get that you don't like it and that if you go by the name of the day, it doesn't make much sense, but why does it matter either way?

Not trying to attack you, just want to better understand where you're coming from.

:D

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score
If I received a call from a number not in my phonebook and wanted to call them back later, I just scroll down and find it. Since I don't get a lot of those, it doesn't really matter to me what "day" the phone thinks that person called on.

I guess I just don't understand the major complaint with the way it is. I get that you don't like it and that if you go by the name of the day, it doesn't make much sense, but why does it matter either way?

Not trying to attack you, just want to better understand where you're coming from.
I have a very busy week and want to make sure I get back to people in some timely fashion or determine quickly when I did. Sometimes I don't know if someone called me or I returned a call that came in yesterday or the day before. I can't figure out whether the call yesterday is really two days ago and if two days ago is three days ago. It's so confusing and a pitiful effort. I can't figure out what day any caller has called me.

I have never seen this bug on any phone - all of them just tell you the date and time a call was made. Why can't Android just do this instead of trying to be so smart and being unable to fix this bug over a half year later? Same thing with text messages. I have no idea if a text message was sent in the am or pm or even time.

ShowTime

Reaction score

I have a very busy week and want to make sure I get back to people in some timely fashion or determine quickly when I did. Sometimes I don't know if someone called me or I returned a call that came in yesterday or the day before. I can't figure out whether the call yesterday is really two days ago and if two days ago is three days ago. It's so confusing and a pitiful effort. I can't figure out what day any caller has called me.

I have never seen this bug on any phone - all of them just tell you the date and time a call was made. Why can't Android just do this instead of trying to be so smart and being unable to fix this bug over a half year later? Same thing with text messages. I have no idea if a text message was sent in the am or pm or even time.

Hmm never noticed/thought about it counting "days" in 24 hour cycles from the time of call and not just regular days. Are you sure it does this? I'm looking back through my call log and I can remember all the calls for at least a week or so back and they are all correct. Even if you are right, is that such a huge problem? How many calls are you getting/how busy every day are you that it's so hard for you to remember to return calls in a timely fashion? If it's that hard to keep straight, why not remove callers from the call log as you return their call (long press, remove from call log)? That way you know who you have and haven't called back.

Also, as for text messages... you know you can long press on any individual message and select "view message details" and it will give you: the type of message, phone number it's from, and when it was received (exact time and date).

edit: now that I think about it though, it might just be coincidence that mine are right? Since I do see that inside of 24 hours, it gives you the time as "x hours ago". So it makes sense that at "24 hours ago" is when it switches to "1 day ago" and so on. A bit confusing perhaps, but I still don't see it being such a big issue.

Last edited:

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you click on the contacts name or phone number in the call log it brings about a detailed log of when they called, how long the phone call was, the date...all the goodies you need!

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
+1

I'm not seeing the problem?

Every call within the last few days is recorded properly for me.

rjax

Reaction score
Grab Dialer One from the Market and use its call log. It'll display exact time/date for you.

texasPI

Reaction score
+1

Same here. In fact, prior to 2.1, I didn't have this problem either. I use the history alot for my job to fill out time sheets etc. so I'm sure I would have noticed.

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score
+1

Same here. In fact, prior to 2.1, I didn't have this problem either. I use the history alot for my job to fill out time sheets etc. so I'm sure I would have noticed.

I see the problem but you better check your time sheets. :)

I am talking about the main Call Log screen display. You have to click through each call to see the individual call details, which are recorded correctly with time/date stamp. Only there is the display of each call shown correctly without this "yesterday" and "two days ago" and "three days ago" nonsense.

Today is Saturday. I look at the Call Log and clicked through a call that came through on Wednesday at 10:22am. That is THREE WEEK DAYS ago. The call log screen says "2 Days Ago" because it's counting 24 hour time periods not "days of the week." It's telling me "less than 72 hours ago" and NOBODY relates to time in this fashion. It would even be better if the phone said "60 hours ago" instead of "2 days ago" because at least the Call Log would be meaningful. This whole "days ago" thing is worthless and I can't understand why the basic log doesn't just give date/time or just date. It's ridiculous.

Many business people will scan their call log to see who called them in the past 24-48 hours and make sure that they get a call back asap. This phone is the ONLY one I have seen in the last decade that makes such an absurd display. It's not too much to ask to have them fix this easy but obvious error. There would be a revolt if this happened on a Blackberry. :)

Last edited:

legnadibrom

Reaction score
I'm with you on this one, Slinky, i noticed it months ago and it's irritating

ShowTime

Reaction score

That's because I don't really see it as being a "bug". It's by design. A bit confusing and not the optimal design? Perhaps. But it's not a bug. And again, there are numerous "fixes" for this "bug". Clicking individual callers gives you an exact date/time stamp. Deleting callers lets you know which calls you've returned and which you haven't. And I still wonder how busy you could possibly be/ how many calls you're getting, that this is really such a huge issue. But even so, neither of the options posted take much time at all and both solve your problem relatively easily.