1st day with droid im confuse!

Kimagure

Reaction score
Hi guys first of all im very happy to be here in this wonderful forum or "family" hmm, this is my first time with droid im always with symbian OS but i get bored with symbian os that's why i choose to have this android why android? i dont know maybe i just want to explore this OS windows i dont want windows.

i hope all of you guys answer my question give some tips. my unit is motorola defy runs with 2.1 eclair OS.

Questions:

1. what is droid 1, droid 2 and droid x? where my phone belong to this?
2. how to maximize the screen without shutting down the lights and getting locked
3. all my applications are automatic connecting to the internet that's why all of my cellphone loads are getting wasted. i just want to turn this off i will turn on if i want to use it.
4. where can i get cool and free applications themes? useful applications!

more sub forums here im confused maybe i will hang around and pay attention what inside to this forum...

Thanks.

lemodular

Reaction score
Welcome to the family.

all those refers to the different generations of the Droid (specifically Motorolla's (theres also a Droid Pro), just do a goggle search to see the differences. Without seeing your phone I can't tell where you fall in the line of Droids. They vary in physical attributes but the OS layout is very similar

2. how to maximize the screen without shutting down the lights and getting locked
You can change your screen timeout in the Display settings

3. all my applications are automatic connecting to the internet that's why all of my cellphone loads are getting wasted. i just want to turn this off i will turn on if i want to use it.
Alll your apps are not constantly accessing the internet, but some do refresh itself at set intervals, you may have control over this intervals depending on the apps. Widgets tend to take more resources and updates more often so you may minimize the use of widgets if it's killing your resouces

All apps can be DL in the market app or 3d party like appbrain. You will need to be rooted in order to be fully themed, but some launcher apps may be themed to change the look.

nateccnn

Reaction score
Hi guys first of all im very happy to be here in this wonderful forum or "family" hmm, this is my first time with droid im always with symbian OS but i get bored with symbian os that's why i choose to have this android why android? i dont know maybe i just want to explore this OS windows i dont want windows.

i hope all of you guys answer my question give some tips. my unit is motorola defy runs with 2.1 eclair OS.

Questions:

more sub forums here im confused maybe i will hang around and pay attention what inside to this forum...

Thanks.

Droid 1 is a nickname of rhe original "Droid" by motorola. Droid 2 was the next model in that line from Motorola. They are simply different models of the phones that run the Android OS. You phone's model is Defy. Don't worry about wqhere it falls...it's just an other phone model is all.

What do you mean by "Maximize"? You don't minimize and maximize like in windows. Do you mean leave it on longer? If so, there is a setting in the OS for that.

Android OS rely's on cloud services to function efficiently. Older phone OSs were designed to sync to your desktop where Android likes to sync to a server that your desktop also syncs to. You can change tyhe sync settings in Settings and set it to sync every 15 minutes rather than "Push". This will drain the battery less. But you will not have real time data. I use 15 minutes and when I check my email on my phone I hit Update to force a sync and then I have real time data and longer battery life. But if you rely on Notifications to tell you immediately when you get an email then it will not be real time. See the difference. It's all about choices and compromises.

Go to the market and search. The first few days it is fun and addictive. After a few weeks you'll realize there's only about 5 useful apps in the market...the phone does everything else natively. Mosdt apps I find are just different variations of the same stuff Android already does. Oh...and there are games too. I am not much of a gamer.

Play with it and enjoy it. Embrace Cloud Technology. Get a dropbox account.

Nate

OP
K

Kimagure

Reaction score
Welcome to the family.

all those refers to the different generations of the Droid (specifically Motorolla's (theres also a Droid Pro), just do a goggle search to see the differences. Without seeing your phone I can't tell where you fall in the line of Droids. They vary in physical attributes but the OS layout is very similar

You can change your screen timeout in the Display settings

Alll your apps are not constantly accessing the internet, but some do refresh itself at set intervals, you may have control over this intervals depending on the apps. Widgets tend to take more resources and updates more often so you may minimize the use of widgets if it's killing your resouces

All apps can be DL in the market app or 3d party like appbrain. You will need to be rooted in order to be fully themed, but some launcher apps may be themed to change the look.

hi thank you, when you say rooted meaning my phone need to be hacked for me to be able to install 3rd PP? what application shoud i install to my phone to root?

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
you do not have to root to install 3rd party apps. Appbrain will work right now for you. Rooting allows you to change the theme and actually even the OS. You will most likely want to get some experience under your belt before you start entertaining rooting.

OP
K

Kimagure

Reaction score

Questions:

Thanks.

Droid 1 is a nickname of rhe original "Droid" by motorola. Droid 2 was the next model in that line from Motorola. They are simply different models of the phones that run the Android OS. You phone's model is Defy. Don't worry about wqhere it falls...it's just an other phone model is all.

What do you mean by "Maximize"? You don't minimize and maximize like in windows. Do you mean leave it on longer? If so, there is a setting in the OS for that.

Android OS rely's on cloud services to function efficiently. Older phone OSs were designed to sync to your desktop where Android likes to sync to a server that your desktop also syncs to. You can change tyhe sync settings in Settings and set it to sync every 15 minutes rather than "Push". This will drain the battery less. But you will not have real time data. I use 15 minutes and when I check my email on my phone I hit Update to force a sync and then I have real time data and longer battery life. But if you rely on Notifications to tell you immediately when you get an email then it will not be real time. See the difference. It's all about choices and compromises.

Go to the market and search. The first few days it is fun and addictive. After a few weeks you'll realize there's only about 5 useful apps in the market...the phone does everything else natively. Mosdt apps I find are just different variations of the same stuff Android already does. Oh...and there are games too. I am not much of a gamer.

Play with it and enjoy it. Embrace Cloud Technology. Get a dropbox account.

Nate

thank you, i just want to maximize my phone ability with free and useful application and i love my android they are the best i just want to know how to install rom customize and many more what are the tools i need to install customized rom.

OP
K

Kimagure

Reaction score
Which Droid phone do you have?

sir motorola defy, recent check to my cellphone i read a lot of tuts, still im confuse too many application they recommend i dont know what to use.

Unit: Moto defy
System version: 2.51.0.MB525
Kernel Version: 2.6.29

so this type of unit can root? widgets, applications are killing me waste of cellphone loads not only loads but a too many loads i dont know how to turn these thing off? thanks you so much sir.

OP
K

Kimagure

Reaction score
you do not have to root to install 3rd party apps. Appbrain will work right now for you. Rooting allows you to change the theme and actually even the OS. You will most likely want to get some experience under your belt before you start entertaining rooting.

i see sir nerds, z4 is not important? in case that i will root my cellphone what are the tools that i shoud need before i start rooting my defy?

OP
K

Kimagure

Reaction score
after reading the above article im so happy i got more tips up there. definitely a little confuse still on going in my mind. but i have my question below

since my unit is motorola defy 2.1 system version: moto_version 2.51.0.MB525 is this rooted? i mean it can be root? coz in the article above 2.1 cant be rooted that's why you need to downgrade 1st to 2.0 to be rooted?

Please: what are the tools that i need for rooting my phone? (pls indicate the download Links) i cannot download through my defy i dont have web access on my defy.

mamawm

Reaction score
each phone released has it's own unique method for rooting, the methods which you find on this forum are for the phones sold by verizon. the defy is a tmobile phone, so i'm going to give you another link which should provide better info on your particular phone. it's to xda developers, the guys who actually sit down and figure out how to hack them all. **** FAQ | Guides |Tutorials **** - xda-developers

this link is defy specific.

OP
K

Kimagure

Reaction score
each phone released has it's own unique method for rooting, the methods which you find on this forum are for the phones sold by verizon. the defy is a tmobile phone, so i'm going to give you another link which should provide better info on your particular phone. it's to xda developers, the guys who actually sit down and figure out how to hack them all. **** FAQ | Guides |Tutorials **** - xda-developers

this link is defy specific.

your so kind to help noob like me,.. thank you