Android Modifications...wtf?

DriodDude

Reaction score
I got my Moto Droid in December and I'm lovin it. I have been lurking around these forums and the more I read, the more confused I get. I get that the Android OS is open source but all of these people creating widgets, icons, and live wallpapers and all the names and stuff is confusing.

I found this site Root Your Droid which answered much of my problems, but also created new ones.

I guess what I am trying to say is I found a guy who makes custom LWP http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-themes/32203-im-making-custom-live-wallpapers.html but you need root to run them?
I like what a lot of the people here are doing and I'd like to get them on my phone but all the lingo and fancy names and stuff you need to download is overwhelming.

:blackdroid: - Alex

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi Alex. This can be confusing and at times overwhelming. Hopefully, we can clear up the things that your unsure about so that you can get (customize) your Droid to where you want it to be.

First, do you have any questions about widgets, icons, and live wallpapers or are you comfortable discussing these three items?

Second, do you understand what rooting is and does to your phone? Here is a link(http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/632-what-root-means-stop-asking.html) that may help clarify.

Third, I suggest that you search the forum for your specific questions. There are sections for rooting, themes, Roms, etc.

Finally, as your read through the forum make a list of your questions and repost in this thread. I'll be alerted to any additional responses you or others may make. The forum just formed a Rescue Squad so we will be here to respond and support you.

Mike

OP
D

DriodDude

Reaction score
Thanks Mike,

I guess my first question would be when I get root on my Droid, how quick and easy will it be to remove it if I need to take it in to the Verizon store to get something fixed? Will they be able to detect it? Will there be a problem if I go in there with root still on my Droid?

While on that topic, what does Verizon think about apps like Handcent, Dolphin Browser, and other apps that are used in place of the stock apps?

Any precautions I should take before going into the store?

One last thing, What is the best/easiest way to do a system backup just in case something goes wrong?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, I'm just a little lost.

crspang

Reaction score
It's easy to unroot. Verizon does frown on rooting but like I said unrooting is easy (look in hacks section). No Verizon cannot detect a rooted phone unless you show it to them.

Verizon doesn't care about apps that do not require root access (dolphin, handcent).

Most of the root guides have instructions for sprecovery or clockwork. By using one or the other you'll be able to make backup images.

OP
D

DriodDude

Reaction score
It's easy to unroot. Verizon does frown on rooting but like I said unrooting is easy (look in hacks section). No Verizon cannot detect a rooted phone unless you show it to them.

Verizon doesn't care about apps that do not require root access (dolphin, handcent).

Most of the root guides have instructions for sprecovery or clockwork. By using one or the other you'll be able to make backup images.

Backup images? As in just images of the screen? What about something where I wipe my Droid and install the old system backup?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mike,

I guess my first question would be when I get root on my Droid, how quick and easy will it be to remove it if I need to take it in to the Verizon store to get something fixed?
There are several options/process that you can use to return to stock. For example, before you root you should make a backup of your stock OS which can be restored. Here is a link (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/13466-how-back-stock-no-su-no-busybox-etc.html) that may help with your comfort level.

Will they be able to detect it?

My sense is that most of the in store reps would not have the expertise nor the time to detect.

Will there be a problem if I go in there with root still on my Droid?

Not as long as you do not show the customer service rep. If they are savvy enough to see that you have more that three screens and to look in your app drawer for the Super User Icon, they can, I suppose, void your warranty.

While on that topic, what does Verizon think about apps like Handcent, Dolphin Browser, and other apps that are used in place of the stock apps?

I am not aware of any concerns that Verizon has with installing the apps you mention or others.

Any precautions I should take before going into the store?

That depends on why you are going to the VZW store. If you are rooted and have a need that may require a customer service rep to look at you phone then I would be very cautions on what assistance you seek

One last thing, What is the best/easiest way to do a system backup just in case something goes wrong?

There are several processes. One of the most reliable is SPRcovery. Recently, Clockwork, a new process, was released. I believe it is part of Rom Manager and will handle backups.

There are three apps (Astro, Titanium, and MyBackup Pro will backup your apps and data. Titanium and MyBackup Pro only work if you are rooted, I think.

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, I'm just a little lost.
Don't worry about asking questions. Everyone on the forum is very willing to help.

I forgot to include this in my other post. Here are two links (Droid-Does.Blogspot.Com)
(Droid Things ) that may help answer some of your questions.

Mike