ZAGG or Ghost Armor

Android4life

Reaction score
I have a few questions regarding the ZAGG/Ghost Armor.

Are either of these products thin enough to put my case back on over it? I know you said paper thin, just would like to know if anyone has done it and their feedback.

Does it cover the camera lens? (I feel like this is the only real vulnerable place on my Droid with my case/screen protector on) If so, will it affect camera quality?

framon

Reaction score
I had the Zagg on my Storm and I now have the Ghost Armor on my Droid. The Zagg was a little easier to install but did not cover the corners like the Ghost armor does. Also the Zagg seemed to feel sticky to me where as the GA does not. If i had to buy again I would definitely go with the ghost armor...

OcHo tHreE Uno

Reaction score
invest $7.99 at BESTSKINSEVER.COM and you'll love it, its better than any other one out there and really cheap(price-wise) lol....
I got mine last week and its easy to install, i wanted to get it down perfect so if i didn't like how it ended up I just peeled it off and put it back on.... since it is a full body protector, the ones that go on the edges on the top part of the phone are really hard to put on, well for me, but everything else was super easy.... oh and its not a fingerprint magnet!

Donsell

Reaction score
I haven't used the other 2, but I did install the Best Skin Ever yesterday and I'm impressed. I chose just to cover the screen and it's by far the best skin I've ever used. Fits perfectly and you can hardly tell it's there. Keeps down the finger prints.

OcHo tHreE Uno

Reaction score
WHich is the EASIEST to INSTALL [without lacking protection?]

BSE, ZAGG invisibleSHIELD or ghost armor?

Between BSE and invisibleSHIELD I would say that they are both equally as easy. Only thing is that invisibleSHIELD sends you the solution. I went to best buy to look for invisibleSHIELD and the screen protector itself was $20 and for a full body it was $30 plus $5 if I wanted them to install it. BSE is $7.99 but it doesn't come with a solution but all u do is get a cereal plate or cup, put some dish soap in it, fill it with water and rub it on the screen protector before u apply to the phone. Im very happy with the BSE, best on I've ever had.

Oh an the protection i give it very very good.

Last edited:

zegwin

Reaction score
Can you explain the reasoning behind the solution. What is it used for and why? (sorry if I missed it earlier in the thread.)

OcHo tHreE Uno

Reaction score
Can you explain the reasoning behind the solution. What is it used for and why? (sorry if I missed it earlier in the thread.)

I'm not too sure why they have us use it but it makes it easier to install. For example with a regular screen protector, like the ones at the vzw store, you have to make sure you put it on correctly the first time. If you accidentally get some lint or dust under the screen protector it will stay there and there is no way to get it off with out messing up the glue, or whatever it is, under the screen protector. Now with the BSE the water and dishwasher soap, the "solution", say you get some lint or dust under it and you don't notice it until 5 min after you apply it, it happened to me, you can remove it, dip it in the solution, clean it, and then apply again. The air bubbles are real easy to remove as well. I hope it helped to you question.

adam8ch

Reaction score
I also got the BSE skin. Just using it for the screen protector and its great. Hope to use it in conjunction with a seidio or incipio case.

Smarcisin

Reaction score

ssparish

Reaction score
I'm posting this to assist with anyone else trying to decide what to do. I've read quite a bit on both Zagg and Ghost Armor before taking the plunge. I decided to go with Ghost Armor, though I believe that both are probably equally as good and rely very much on the same type of material.

I bought the GA full body from the GA website. Very easy purchase quick ship, and you can still use the discount code that's floating in one of these forum topics for an extra dollar or so off. It was cheaper to get the GA rather than Zagg, and that was one factor.

Installation was straight forward. On the larger pieces the instructions recommended using the solution (which I think is nothing more than soap water). The solution helps with positioning the larger pieces and with squeegeeing out any air bubbles, and lubricating the squeegee itself to prevent burn marks. They recommend not using solution on the smaller body strips and just applying directly to the Droid. I did both. I only installed the large strips using the solution. I did some smaller/thinner strips with and without. It was much easier to install the small strips without using solution. With those pieces it was much easier for them to slide around while pressing out any bubbles when sprayed with solution. I would recommend having some tweezers or precision screwdriver handy to help lift/position the smaller pieces and avoiding excessive finger contact with the adhesive.

Overall, there is just a very slight orange peel effect with the larger pieces. It is only really noticeable when you look for it, and the degree will vary depending on how well you apply solution and pieces. The first piece I did was the battery cover. I sprayed the solution on both sides of the protector and tried to carefully apply it to the cover. I wasn't able to get it positioned correctly the first time (I'm a perfectionist), so I had to reposition it. This piece has the most pronounced orange peel effect and I think it's because of the lifting and repositioning I had to do with it. The next piece I did was the section near the lens and flash. This one was applied correctly the first time, with very little repositioning (just a little bit of sliding). It has the best appearance of any piece I applied. Near zero peel effect, very high gloss; it almost looks like a factory finish. So, be careful in applying, it will make all the difference.

The most tricky piece of GA to apply was a single piece that wrapped the bottom backside edges of the phone. Because it wraps around both the corners and the bottom edge, it makes it particularly tricky. I used solution on this piece, but probably would have been better not to. Because of the solution it slipped around more while trying to press out bubbles, and the stresses of wrapping around mutiple corners and edges allowed the protector to raise slightly. This is probably the most difficult piece to get right. Take your time with it.

All the other pieces were a breeze, and it doesn't really mater if you use solution or not. I found it easier to not use the solution on the smaller pieces, though it helps to have some sort of fine pointed tool to help hold and position the piece while pressing it down. With solution they do slide a bit more, and I found that some of the edges raised slightly, especially on the long slightly curved panels on the top and sides of the Droid. Patience and pressure will eventually get these to stick down to the body. Without solution these just stick with no problems.

The screen cover went on pretty well for me. Spray with solution, and watch your handling of the protector. I managed to get some fluff under one corner that I had to peel back and remove, but I sprayed a little more solution under it and squeegeed it down just fine. I still have one flaw that appears to be in the protector in the corner. It's right near the black border on the screen so it's not really noticeable. A warning: I have another flaw that I think was probably due to a little mishandling. In prepping the cover, I think I might have touched the adhesive in one spot and might not have had enough (or too much?) solution sprayed in that area later on. I ended up with a small spot that distorts the pixels on the display. It's that effect you get when you put a water drop on your TV screen and it kind of magnifies the pixels. It's hard to describe, but it is noticeable and distracting. Not sure exactly what caused this but it was about the size of a finger print. Over the last 12 hours it's gotten noticeably smaller (now about the size of a pencil eraser). So hopefully when things are fully cured it will disappear completely. But over all, I think the screen was the easiest piece to actually apply.

There is no noticeable effect on screen sensitivity at all with the cover applied. I do notice that it shows smudges more than my cheepo protector did, but a little buffing gets rid of those. After applying the GA protector, your Droid will have a very high gloss finish, rather than your matte factory finish. If you like the matte finish, then don't apply the full body pieces. The GA is not tacky, it is very slick. I think it actually makes the Droid more slippery than it was to begin with, so be careful out there. And one last thing, even though the protectors are very thin, after applying you can definitely feel the edges of them as you handle the Droid. I'll get used to it, because I'd rather have nic and scuff protection than not. But you will notice it when handling the Droid.

Hope this helps someone.

reaper keeper

Reaction score
I have had both Zagg and Best Skins Ever (BSE). IMHO BSE is better than Zagg for several reasons, as mentioned before Zagg has problems with the orange peel and loss of sensitivity. One other reason and the biggest in my book is that Zagg has edges of their protector on the edge or corner of the phone allowing it to lift much easier than BSE. BSE took the time and effort to put the seams/edges of the protector away from corners, making less likely to lift. BSE has less of the orange peel and no sensitivity loss. I have had both kinds on an Iphone and now the Moto DROID (which should be called an Iphone KILLER!) I have had no problems with the BSE interfering with the Car dock or the desk dock from Motorola and I doubt anyone would have a fit problem with anything…there just too thin.

In regards to what the solution is for, mostly it’s to act as a lubricant, it has a small (I mean very small) amount of soap in it to allow the skins to “move” on the phone while it’s wet, which is why you should put them on in the evening and then leave your phone alone for the night.

Installation tip’s I can provide are these. Take your time! Get some rubber gloves, good ones that fit tight, if you can’t get rubber gloves wash your hands right before you start. Go into the bathroom and run the shower on HOT till it’s all steamy, this will take the dust out of the air (got to keep the door closed though!). Use a solution to apply the skins, it allows you the most forgiveness if things don’t go right, without it you can ruin the skin rather easily.

There is really not much more to say, If you like a naked phone but still want scratch and scuff protection, any of the “skins” are better than nothing. If you need drop protection, these won’t do as well as most of the cases out will, but that’s why they are in a different category!
Look at this way, what’s cheaper to replace? The phone, the screen, or a skin? :)

eanelson

Reaction score
For those looking for more insight, I can attest to everything that ssparish said because I have had an almost identical experience. I hbought and installed the Ghost-Armor about a week ago and so far I love it.

It is quite straightforward to put all 16 pieces on and didn't present much of a problem for me. The piece that goes below the speaker and wraps around the corners (as ssparish said) is really the only tricky piece. I made the same mistake of applying too much of the solution to this piece and thus it slid around while I was trying to put it on. I had to apply one half of it, then let it dry for a minute or two and then try to get the rest to stick. For others applying this, I would recommend a very small amount of solution on this piece for easier application.

Overall, I love the kit. It fits great in the multimedia dock and also fits in the car dock well. The only problem I noticed with the car dock is the tendency for one of the pieces on top to get peeled up a slight bit when removing the phone from it. This is remedied by being careful when taking the phone out of the car dock and holding out the part of the dock that clips the phone up by the power button so it doesn't peel up the armor. There is a VERY small orange peel effect, however it is more pronounced on the back and practically non-existent on the screen protector. I have noticed no loss of sensitivity with the screen. The only other problem I have are a few tiny bubbles, but that is probably due to my application, not the product itself.

I highly recommend it (especially at $14 for the full kit). I hope this helps, and would be happy to answer any questions that people have on it either in the thread or via PM.

wwb

Reaction score
Which type of screen protection provides the best protection? I just bought a droid for me and one for my girlfriend - she is notorious for dropping phones!

Which case do you guys recommend overall. It seems the OtterBox provides the best protection (??) but at the cost of being bulky. This Ghost Armor seems like it would provide scratch protection but not much drop protection???

Water protection would be good too - she once dropped her phone in the toilet! ;-)

Last edited:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Each decision is a compromise. You really need to determine which is the top priority for you. There's no water protection unless you get a waterproof case. Impact protection comes at the cost of bulk. Films aren't bulky but don't provide much impact protection.

Pick your poison.