You Will Be Forced Off Unlimited If You Try To Buy A Phone Full Price At A Corporate Verizon Store

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Why not start a new line with a data plan than drop the plan to a reg line and than active the new phone on your unlimited plan. Than you can upgrade every two years. That's what I do now. You can change phones every day with out changing your phone plan. I pat the $10.00 a month to have a dummy line. I've been doing this since they got rid of the unlimited data.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
they fixed that loophole a while ago.... if you use an upgrade and get a smartphone you are forced to keep data on that line for the remainder of the contract... I'm sure you could wait 30 days call and complain/sweet talk to the right person you might be able to get it removed.

or just pay the 30 which would be similar to edge... except... you are probably paying edge as well... so... it get's to be ridiculous

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why not start a new line with a data plan than drop the plan to a reg line and than active the new phone on your unlimited plan. Than you can upgrade every two years. That's what I do now. You can change phones every day with out changing your phone plan. I pat the $10.00 a month to have a dummy line. I've been doing this since they got rid of the unlimited data.

Yeah, the closed that loophole, so next time you try that you'll be forced off unlimited. Buying phones at retail is the way to go. People that expect subsidized technology are communists! :) (That's a joke, folks.)

Ryan3317

Reaction score
That figures. Anything to get more money out of us. If they didn't have such a great signal I would switch companies. Nice call on the communists. :)

EyeOWA

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
A couple of weeks back, I had to let my UDP go. Lollipop killed my S4 and had to get a new phone. Offered me 20 GB for $100. 3 smartphones on the line, I took it. Now I have to watch my data usage and have to switch to WiFi at home, work, etc. Is it devastating as some people put it, No. I knew I would have to let it go sometime...wife is not into the upfront cost of phones. I will deal with it. Out of my control now. If you have UDP, take advantage of it, keep it forever!!!!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Offered me 20 GB for $100. 3 smartphones on the line, I took it. Now I have to watch my data usage and have to switch to WiFi at home, work, etc.

I'm usually on wifi at home, anyway.

That would be a heck of a tempting offer. 20GB is A LOT a month if you take advantage of wifi where available. I'd be interested since I'm getting a tablet (eventually) and it would be nice to have data for it without worrying about tethering or finding a free hotspot. I already pay like $70-$80 a month, so that's not a bad deal, at all, for 2 more devices.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
20gb a month is ok on one device, but shared between 3 devices would be really difficult. May your UDP RIP EyeOWA!

S5 tap'n

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
20gb a month is ok on one device, but shared between 3 devices would be really difficult. May your UDP RIP EyeOWA!

I don't really see the difference if its 3 devices for 1 person, unless you've set them all up to waste/duplicate data by syncing when you aren't using them.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I could almost live with 20gb a month... I'm sure I could make it work.

with the news that tmobile is moving up and actually increasing their network they are starting to look nicer and nicer.

EyeOWA

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
20GB/$100 was called loyalty plan, or something like that. Was available for a little bit for UDP users. I usually averaged 12-15 GB, without Wifi. My other 2 are my kids, so they are not large users of data. They know what their limits are.

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I could almost live with 20gb a month... I'm sure I could make it work.

with the news that tmobile is moving up and actually increasing their network they are starting to look nicer and nicer.
I wouldn't survive....I use 15-20 a month for YouTube alone. LOL

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
As I've said before (maybe in this thread), I haven't gone over my data plan since dropping unlimited. This last month was the closest. I did just under 4GB of the 5 (including 1 promotional) that I get each month. It's gone up a lot since I gave the wife my car with the Sirius subscription and started streaming all of my music, but I could easily go without for a few days while I wait for my cycle to end at that point.

However, I routinely use 15-20GB a month at home on my wifi network, so if it wasn't for that, I'd be paying a LOT more for data each month.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I should track my overall usage in a month over cellular and wifi. I have tasker setup to turn on wifi when I'm near home.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Samsung's Mobile Data usage screen in settings offers the ability to track wifi as well. Pretty handy if you care. While mobile data is more "precious" to me, it's cool to see how my usage differs on wifi and how much total data I actually use.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Me no haz samsung phone. Sad panda :(