WPA revives Droid X Wifi killed by Gingerbread

sinkSlacker

Reaction score
WPA revives Droid X Wifi killed by Gingerbread

After updating my Droid X to gingerbread (Android version 2.3.3) using the over-the-air (OTA) update, I was unable to connect to the internet through my wifi router (Netgear WNR2000). The Droid X connected to the wifi router without a problem, but would not connect to (fetch anything from) the internet.

I found that changing the security on my wifi router from WPA2 to WPA fixed the problem.

Note that before changing the security on my wifi router, I also tried a few other things that did not work, including: resetting the cable modem, router, and Droid X several times; disabling MMS in the router; setting the router to broadcast the SSID; changing the router's channel from Auto to 2. I reverted to the initial setting after each attempt.

OP
S

sinkSlacker

Reaction score
Correction: Keep WPA2 and decrease router's max speed to revive Droid X wifi

Correction: Keep WPA2 and decrease router's max speed to revive Droid X wifi killed by Gingerbread

Thanks kevinkar--you're right.

I decreased the "mode" setting on my Netgear WNR2000 wifi router to "Up to 54 Mbps" and increased the router security to WPA2. My Droid X is running great on wifi.

I was hesitant to decrease the max router speed to 54 Mbps until I realized that the max download speed on my Comcast Xfinity connection is less than that: 50 Mbps (speedtest.net tests average around 20Mbps with my laptop). So I'm probably not losing any speed with the new setting.

I'm assuming that "Up to 54 Mbps" is G (the router manager GUI doesn't refer to anything in terms of B, G, N). I used to have it set to "Up to 145 Mbps", which I assume is N. The only other choice is "Up to 300 Mbps"--I don't know what that might be. Thanks again.

OP
S

sinkSlacker

Reaction score
The firmware version on my Netgear WNR2000 wifi router is 1.2.3.7NA

The firmware version on my Netgear WNR2000 wifi router is 1.2.3.7NA

jonathon1289

Reaction score
Correction: Keep WPA2 and decrease router's max speed to revive Droid X wifi killed by Gingerbread

I decreased the "mode" setting on my Netgear WNR2000 wifi router to "Up to 54 Mbps" and increased the router security to WPA2. My Droid X is running great on wifi.

I was hesitant to decrease the max router speed to 54 Mbps until I realized that the max download speed on my Comcast Xfinity connection is less than that: 50 Mbps (speedtest.net tests average around 20Mbps with my laptop). So I'm probably not losing any speed with the new setting.

I'm assuming that "Up to 54 Mbps" is G (the router manager GUI doesn't refer to anything in terms of B, G, N). I used to have it set to "Up to 145 Mbps", which I assume is N. The only other choice is "Up to 300 Mbps"--I don't know what that might be. Thanks again.

300Mbps is the 'N' wireless technology. Common speeds are 145, 270, and 300Mbps.

As for your statement on not losing speed with setting wifi at 54Mbps because your ISP connection is 50Mbps, that is both correct and incorrect. Your wifi 54Mbps will make a difference when browsing your local network or moving files between computers. A hardwired 100mbps LAN will run around 80Mbps transfer. However, you can still utilize the full 50Mbps when connecting to the internet and streaming videos or downloading files.

In short, you did not hurt your speed unless you do a lot of internal file sharing or copies between your computers/devices.

DROIDX_morphius

Reaction score
sinkSlacker,
I tried my DROIDX <with the update> on a V3 version of the same AP

Answer

I have seen that sometimes the old versions have issues respecting the full .n mode and show very low data rates with new phones. If you have another .n AP around you might want to give it a try

OP
S

sinkSlacker

Reaction score
I also had to change router channel--densely populated neighborhood

After several months of sporadic annoying webpage hangs while browsing with my my DroidX on my home Wifi, I decided to change the channel that the router (NetGear WNR2000) was using. The router was on the "auto" channel setting, where it supposedly picks the best one, but it was using Channel 2, which alot of my neighbors were also using (I checked with the Wifi Analyzer app on my Droid X).
Channel 8 looked like the best choice based on the Wifi Analyzers's channel graph. I set my router to use Channel 8. I did that 2 weeks ago. So far, I haven't had any of the webpage hangs like I used to (e.g. YouTube videos would sometimes crash in the middle). Some webpages are occasionally slow, but I've verified that it's not the phone--some pages are just slow sometimes.

I also verified that I can't connect with my DroidX to the NetGear WNR2000 at speeds faster than 54 Mbps, even with the new channel setting. Doesn't matter--the speed I'm getting from my cable company tops out at about 25 Mbps.

rudywilliams

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto G 4 Plus
Mine now tanks Wifi on Netopia router. It knocks other devices off!

DLINK N on order will ne here in 2 days. WIFI off for now.

Problem solved with the new router. Now have to reconfigure two wireless bridges so all 13 devices are up. Now speed is screaming!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Last edited: