Connecting with my Droid X murders my home wifi!

ekolis

Reaction score
You probably won't believe this, but whenever I try to connect to my home wifi with my Droid X, the wifi router REBOOTS itself, and I can't connect to the wifi with any other devices until I disable wifi on my Droid!

The router is a Rosewill RNX-EasyN400, and I'm using 802.11n with WPA2 encryption.

The Droid's OS version is 2.3.3, and my carrier is Verizon.

Oddly, when I first got the phone almost a year ago, the wifi worked. I'm not entirely sure what caused it to stop working, since I wasn't using wifi on it all that much for a while. I do know that there was an OS update (I was originally on version 2.3.2, if I'm not mistaken, or maybe 2.2.x).

Two of my brothers have Droids; both are with Verizon as well. One of them has a Droid X, and has the same issue as me. The other has an HTC phone, and can connect without any problems.

I'd appreciate any help that folks can provide. Thanks! :)

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My router doesn't reset but same idea, everything will be running smooth with my Rezound, a OG droid and about 3 3ds's connected and as soon as my soon connects my old DX the wifi gets very strange. Sometimes it will just slow down, and some times it will disconnect my PC from the router.

I set the Droid X to to a lower priority by giving top priority to my PC then my PS3 next, then the Xbox, and finally any other wireless device gets last:biggrin:. I still have trouble but it seems to have helped.

router is linksys e2000 running tomato firmware.

PC connects via 802.11 wifi.

So if anyone has any fix all answer I would love some info.

OP
ekolis

ekolis

Reaction score
I think I may have fixed it! I saw a thread elsewhere about a "Wifi Analyzer" app, and running that app showed me a channel conflict between my network (on channel 6) and someone else's (on channel 3) - from the look of the graphs I saw, interference happens not only when you're on the same channel as someone else, but also if you're anywhere within three channels of the other network! So I set my network to channel 11 and after a few minutes of ethereal stabilization (or whatever magic makes wifi channels not conflict) now I can connect! (Oddly enough, when I was on channel 6, I actually had the router set to autochannel - I guess it was being too picky about what it would call a "conflict"!)

edit: hmm, actually, that didn't really fix it - it only worked for a short while!

OP
ekolis

ekolis

Reaction score
I was able to fix it for real this time by switching the security mode from WPA2/mixed to WPA/TKIP. Of course, now I'll have to check all the other devices to make sure they still work - I thought I had it on mixed mode for a reason...

johninor

Reaction score
I am having a similar problem. I have a new Droid 2 Global that I got recently. I haven't activated it yet - I want to get it set up before I port my number to it. I played with it for a few days on stock Froyo 2.2 that came with it and didn't notice any problems. Then I SBF'd it to Gingerbread 2.3.3. Now my wireless router frequently locks up. The entire router becomes unresponsive - even the wired connections. It is a Westell 9100EM from Verizon FIOS (now Frontier in my area). At first I thought it might be coincidence, but I googled and found this and other forums discussing router problems with droids.

This has to be a router problem. It may be triggered by something the droid is doing, but nothing that is done by a device should be able lock up the router. Funny thing is that people have been reporting problems on different routers that have previously been working fine, so the droid must be doing something unusual.

ekolis, please let us know if your solution continues to work. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by changing from WPA2/mixed to WPA/TKIP. If I look into my router's advanced security settings it says that the 802.11 Mode is 802.1b/g mixed, the security type is WPA and the encryption algorithm is TKIP. Any suggestions on what i should try changing?

OP
ekolis

ekolis

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know what's wrong in your case - your settings are the same as mine, apart from the 802.11b/g, as I'm using 802.11b/g/n.

AndyMcDroid

Reaction score
... from the look of the graphs I saw, interference happens not only when you're on the same channel as someone else, but also if you're anywhere within three channels of the other network!

Each Wifi channel refers to a range of frequencies, which include the frequencies used by two higher and two lower number channels. The only non-overlapping channels (in the US) are 1, 6 and 11.

bobd27

Reaction score
I had a similar problem, but my DC would show connected but it wasn't. I changed the router WPA2 Mixed to TRIP. worked for a while then stopped. Changed to AES, been fine for 8 months. Verizon Food router.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums