Droid X won't connect to WEP Wifi after 2.3 update a few months ago

Andrewt4asu

Reaction score
Hi all,

Here is my story. I have a droid X and love it. It's been great and I'm a huge android fan. That being said, after the update from Android 2.2 to 2.3 (gingerbread), I lost the ability to connect to WEP-secured wifi signals. I know it's not just my wifi at home, but ANY WEP wifi... I've been to Starbucks, other people's houses, etc, and had the same issue. Other types of security work just fine, but it essentially means that 50% of the time I can't connect to wifi.

What specifically happens is the phone identifies the signal and asks if I'd like to log in. I type in the password, but the "connect" button is NEVER responsive... it has been greyed out so that I can only press cancel.

In general, I've had spotty connection with other wifi as well (It will work for a few minutes, lose the signal, find it again, work, rinse-and-repeat).

It is extremely frustrating and I've googled solutions for a while but haven't found anything that helps. Most of the answers ask me to change the actual router settings. I CANNOT DO THIS as I am living in a shared apartment. It is not my router. Moreover, I know that it's not a router problem as I have encountered NUMEROUS routers (including my routers at home that I used all the time before the 2.3 update) that this happens with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want my internet back :/

Thanks,

Andrew