worth it?

nateccnn

Reaction score
This past weekend I was at Cascade Lake in Idaho and took some pictures. On the way home we stopped and had lunch with my sister. I was going to show her my pictures on my OG Rooted Droid and the damned thing locked up tight on me. That was when I decided it was time to replace. Those lock ups only occured about less than 5% of the time but always when I was showing something. I just got tired of the 5% fail rate.

Granted...I push my phone to it's limits. I know people who OC to 1200 or more and run ultra low voltage kernels so the phone is capable of more but mine would only go for 1Ghz with medium voltage. Otherwise I was getting constant force closes. If I would have backed it down to 800 mhz I am pretty sure I could have gotten rid of the 5% fail rate.

But this TBolt has not had a single FC today and it runs faster and smoother than my OG Droid OCed to 1Ghz.

The sad thing is, this morning I installed Pete's new OC kernel that uses average LVs and the phone was smokin! I probably should have gave it some time to see if it would work consistently. BUt I had already made up my mind I was getting this TBolt when it launched. So I will hand the OG down to my wife and see how she likes it. She's never had a smart phone. She has taken one picture on her cell phone ever. She just learned how to text. This thing should rock for her!

Nate

tubemonkey

Reaction score
Would much prefer the t-bolt but battery life has me worried. There are periods every day where I go through high/ constant usage without charging. Two to three hours, often watching video or playing games. From what I hear the t-bolt might not survive that trip.

Spare battery.

geoff5093

Reaction score
I picked up a TB yesterday, and coming from a D1 it's a huge improvement! So far the battery life has been much better for me as well.

droidD90

Reaction score
I came from a D1 also got it the first week they came out, rooted it shortly after that, until now,nothing has really been worth the switch,at least for me glad I held out for this phone.
Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

meekless

Reaction score
cant wait to find out. rooted D1 from the start and loved it...will def miss this little guy
but my Thunderbolt will be here Tuesday and so looking forward to it

Dxun

Reaction score
There is no comparison. The Tbolt is miles ahead of the D1. IMO it's a crap ton better than the DX. The only issue is battery life, and swype not working the way it used to work on the DX. I'm also really digging Sense.

geoff5093

Reaction score
There is no comparison. The Tbolt is miles ahead of the D1. IMO it's a crap ton better than the DX. The only issue is battery life, and swype not working the way it used to work on the DX. I'm also really digging Sense.
+1

I thought Sense was going to be an awful piece of bloatware, but I love it! The battery life is excellent on my TB as well compared to my D1, I can use it well over 12 hours. I finally don't have to charge it all the time!

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
I came from a d1 too. Although mine was oddly lighter than most, slower than most and when root was attempted it went insane and said there was no battery or power source. So yeah, even my friends d1s that were rooted have nothing on this.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I haven't read much about voice quality on the TB... I'm assuming it's solid, but the one thing my D1 has had over any other phone I've tried (including the Inc and DX) is the volume/quality when talking to someone was great.

mkjellgren

Reaction score
I haven't read much about voice quality on the TB... I'm assuming it's solid, but the one thing my D1 has had over any other phone I've tried (including the Inc and DX) is the volume/quality when talking to someone was great.

Voice quality is top notch. Better than my d1 in my experience.

Sent from my ADR6400L

sik

Reaction score
Yep came from a rooted d1 running bugless beast OC to 1ghz and the thunderbolt is so much smoother and so so fast. I hated sense when I got it took me 2 days messing around on phone and now I love it even thought about returning it and waiting for bionic before but I don't think I would. I just hope pete steps it up and gets a bolt, love his roms.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
my only hesitancy about waiting is that it sounds like VZW will be going tiered data in a few months, and if I lock in 2 years now, that at least gives me some additional time with "unlimited"

mkjellgren

Reaction score
Yep came from a rooted d1 running bugless beast OC to 1ghz and the thunderbolt is so much smoother and so so fast. I hated sense when I got it took me 2 days messing around on phone and now I love it even thought about returning it and waiting for bionic before but I don't think I would. I just hope pete steps it up and gets a bolt, love his roms.

Pete has on numerous occasions expressed his distaste towards non-vanilla android phones and even urged folks on Twitter to refrain from buying them in an attempt to make a point to the manufacturers so it seems unlikely that he would start development on a phone with sense. Who knows though I'd love to see bugless beast on my bolt as much as the next guy but I'm not holding my breath. On a similar note however, rumor has it there are CM and UD gingerbread builds for the bolt already in the works so I'm sure we'll have a solid dev community working on the tb very soon.

Sent from my ADR6400L

geoff5093

Reaction score
I found it to be louder and clearer then my D1.