Wireless teether

ndhill1976

Reaction score
This is a good example of a teether, and it is wireless.

ice-cream-teether.jpg

USCChem

Reaction score
It's wireless tether, actually.

It means turning your phone into a WiFi hotspot that you could connect your laptop/iPod touch/iPad/etc to. :)

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Your phone has VZ 3G internet for data.

Tethering, is to allow another device to access that internet connecton thru the phone.

This can be:

1. Physical, thru the use of USB, hence USB Tethering, or;

2. Wi Fi Tethering, whereas described above.

The advantages of wi fi are obvious, as one is limited to one device at a time thru a physical connection.

Froyo comes with both, the build we have has USB only, however you can add wi fi to it. Hopefully, but not exected, that the final release of froyo will have wi fi.

Wraith

Reaction score
Well, now that the spelling has been ironed out, can anyone who uses this / used this / seen this in use supply abit more detail?

Specifically, as a home DSL/Cable ISP replacement, what are the issues?

I am aware of the 5Gig limit as discussed on other threads. BTW is that 5Gig per month?...that would be the major limitation if the connection is moderate.

The other issue would be the speed. Obviously not good enough for network gaming.

And, finally, stability. I know 3G does go down where I am, sometimes once per day. So, that would be a concern.

Paying for cable/internet/cell phone adds up, so any more discussion on this as an option to get rid of home internet would be great.

Thanks in advance.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Without paying the extra fee each month for tethering (which is currently not available for Android phones through Verizon), you are breaking Verizon's rules when tethering.

Basically, tethering like this is fine for light use when you don't have internet access (obviously you can still get caught, but it is less likely if you aren't using it often). You should not use it as your full time internet. Verizon will see the huge spike in data and know what's going on.

Wraith

Reaction score
I guess that is also implied in the name..."tether" sounds much lighter than "bonded", "chained", or some other words that could have been used...

Yeah...I have no reason to tether....but it is nice just knowing it is technically possible.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I guess that is also implied in the name..."tether" sounds much lighter than "bonded", "chained", or some other words that could have been used...

Yeah...I have no reason to tether....but it is nice just knowing it is technically possible.

It's great if you have a long drive! When my wife and I recently drove about 8 hours up to Maryland, she sat back and messed around on the internet while I drove. We have been in hotels before and tethered to my Droid instead of paying $15 for a days access to their crappy internet. It definitely has it's advantages and is useful as long as you don't over do it.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

It's great if you have a long drive! When my wife and I recently drove about 8 hours up to Maryland, she sat back and messed around on the internet while I drove. We have been in hotels before and tethered to my Droid instead of paying $15 for a days access to their crappy internet. It definitely has it's advantages and is useful as long as you don't over do it.

You should probably try cheaper hotels. The ones I usually stay in have "free" internet. Sometimes crappy but free. Only the most expensive hotels I'm in from time to time actually charge for internet access these days. :)

MikeDI

Reaction score
Free WIFI

You should probably try cheaper hotels. The ones I usually stay in have "free" internet. Sometimes crappy but free. Only the most expensive hotels I'm in from time to time actually charge for internet access these days. :)

I am in a nice cabin in the Smoky Mnts and using free WIFI right now, I think the whole town might have free Wifi..