Windows8, game changer?

darkmatter

Reaction score
I may be reading things wrong, but if win8 works the way I imagine it, it could change everything.

It seems to me the logical conclusion of what motorola started with Webtop. A device that can fuction as mobile and desktop. Instead of being a lame browser thing, its a fully functioning os. For most people whose computing needs are little more than web browsing and document creation/editing (ie, office) todays phones are plenty powerful. I would actually consider a win8 phone over android if it works like this.

Unless... is it possible android is heading the same way? With ICS merging the tablet and phone versions of android, I can see android also being able to function the way I think win8 might. Give me a dock with usb support for mouse/keyboard/etc, and hdmi out, and I wouldn't need my desktop (well, except for gaming and photoshopping).

I find it intriguing that my phone could have a full blown os like windows, and not watered down for a "mobile device".

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
windows 8 looks amazing, but it's so far off from what they've done for years it may be an unwelcomed change, at least what I think. I definitely want to try it out but it really deviates from what windows has done it's whole lifespan.

what they have planned for it is definitely eye-opening. from what i've seen the operation between mobile and desktop is seamless and definitely pushing software to the right direction. I am definitely looking forward to seeing and trying out windows 8, but I hope it's not so different that it makes me regret I "upgraded" from windows 7

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
As for Android they could head the same way eventually, but I don't see them breaking into the PC game anytime soon. All their efforts are towards a mobile technology because they know everyone seems to be on the go. And from my experience, as a student, knowing I can access Word documents and PP slides from my Droid or Xoom is good enough, the formats used in the PC world work fairly well on Android. Also they have Google Docs which converts files from PC formats (not sure about Mac), but that's what I've done, uploaded all my notes and everything from my professors and am able to access them anytime on my Inc, Xoom, or my cr48

OP
darkmatter

darkmatter

Reaction score
If google would merge chrome os and android....

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

sarreq

Reaction score
going by the dev preview, there's still alot to fix before win8 is ready

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not feeling it. All those live tiles are far too busy for my tastes. More power to them for those who like it.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
looks interesting. definitely a HUGE learning curve for the public, which a majority will just complain instead of trying to learn it. :D