Will you be upgrading to the Motorola Droid 2?

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Who will be purchasing/upgrading to the Motorola Droid 2?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
If I did, The wife would kill me....:D

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I certainly won't when it's fresh out. Between no money (essentially unemployed), a recent contract for my Droid 1 (which I love and don't plan on giving up without a fight), unknown rooting/ROMing ability of the Droid 2 (and yes, I know, root will happen eventually), and this phone doing everything I need it to do, I don't plan on an upgrade unless I either hit the lottery or sell my book.

k1ng617

Reaction score
It's not enough of an improvement over the D1. Especially, because of its UI and locked bootloader. I will wait for the mythical 2ghz phone (what a stupid thing to say when they had yet to release 2 of their most important phones.)

jdsingle

Reaction score
I don't think that the Droid 2 offers enough "upgrades" in respect to all dynamics of the phone to warrant the upgrade. The Droid 1 performs outstandingly compared to my last smart phone. I will wait for an LTE most likely before I upgrade to a new phone. Unless I accidentally lose this one and end up with a Droid X through Assurion.

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
yes I am Upgrading ....I love the D1 best android Phone ever but I find myself spending to much time flashing roms & stuff so I am just going to use it for a phone again ....I will use root on D2 when it does get rooted

NewDroidOrder

Reaction score
I have to say that there isnt enough of an upgrade for me to ever switch from the D1. They really tried too hard to get it out so quickly, bad decision on their part I must say. Motorola could have waited and taken their time with the D2 and really made it a stellar device. As it is now, the only thing I see different as an upgrade between the D1 and D2 is the RAM. Thats it! Not an 8mp camera, and no HDMI out.

Lelouch

Reaction score
I wont be getting one, they didn't really improve much to it. Sure the internals are a little better, but they didn't really do anything to the keyboard in terms of spacing it out other than just getting rid of the d-pad. That and the uncertainty of whether or not we'll even be able to root it/rom it what with the looming high probability of a locked boot loader. I'd rather just hold onto my Droid 1 and wait and see what there is to sample later on down the road.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
As much as I love my Droid, being rooted, and everything else I also like to keep it simple. I'm looking forward to September (Not far away) when my new every two comes around and purchasing the Droid 2.

If it doesn't knock me out or if the boot loader is closed….whatever….Then I'll just put that puppy up on ebay and make myself a quick 400.00 or so and stay with my Droid.

That's the phone I've been looking at for sometime and unless there is a financial reason, that's the phone I intend to buy.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
As much as I love my Droid, being rooted, and everything else I also like to keep it simple. I'm looking forward to September (Not far away) when my new every two comes around and purchasing the Droid 2.

If it doesn't knock me out or if the boot loader is closed….whatever….Then I'll just put that puppy up on ebay and make myself a quick 400.00 or so and stay with my Droid.

That's the phone I've been looking at for sometime and unless there is a financial reason, that's the phone I intend to buy.
You mean you'd profit at Verizon's expense? For SHAME! ;)

This whole thing with the locked bootloader reminds me of the PS1 debacle where the whole reason buying one became because you could mod it so easily. Along rolled the PS2 and you couldn't do jack to it and sales slumped. Sony wondered why.

Congrats on 10,000 posts, Hook!

Oh, and wouldn't it be cool if the Droid # series left the bootloader alone and the X/Pro/Etc series had MotoBlur and all the other eye-candy people think we want on our phones? It's not happening, but wouldn't it be great? :)

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I won't upgrade my Droid till they have a 2Ghz Droid w/ Physical Keyboard, 4.3" HD LED, 32GB onboard, front cam (like iPhone). I am due for my new every 2 next month. I can wait since I just Rooted my Droid and gave it new life.

ChugIt

Reaction score
I will wait it out and see how it goes for everyone else before I upgrade to anything else. To be honest that Samsung Galaxy looks pretty good too. We'll see....

Xegesis

Reaction score
I will when my upgrade comes around 9/10....I just sold my droid1 on ebay for $200 so basically It's a free upgrade.

I'm currently having droid withdrawals right now as I'm using an old Moto Q to get me by until 9/10. :icon_eek:

Nice thing about being under sister's verizon employee account, I get to upgrade every 10 months.

obxsalvo

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Not right away! Really don't want the hassle of debugging a new phone. So like I did with D1 I will wait a few months and then decide. I am happy with the D1 and only hope the D2 is as good. So my point, I have no Plans to Jump Ship!