Motorola clamps down on Droid X's leaked Android 2.2

Akita

Reaction score
When will they realize you cant stop the internets? Once its leaked, forget cease & desist orders.

johaBBa

Reaction score
They could possibly eFuse phones they detect have the unofficial 2.2.........

:icon_eek:

steeleshark2

Reaction score
They could possibly eFuse phones they detect have the unofficial 2.2.........

:icon_eek:

If they did that, they would be under a lawsuit based on the new law that was passed by congress about jailbreak.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
When will they realize you cant stop the internets? Once its leaked, forget cease & desist orders.

That's like Paris Hilton saying oh wait maybe I don't want people seeing me do bad stuff in night vision. Just can't do it.

steeleshark2

Reaction score
Yup Yup!! Also, remember, Android software is open source. I dunno what grounds Motorola has in sending a C&D letter, but if I was a webmaster, I wouldn't wanna have to spend money to goto court to find out.

Reaction score

All that says is Apple (or any phone maker) cannot stop people from hacking their devices. It says nothing about them not being able to stop people from running "leaked" operating systems. Also, it isn't exactly a passed law... it's more of a "you can't hide behind copyright protections to stop people" sort of thing.

The distribution of the "leaked" update is basically IP theft. It has nothing to do with hacking your phone to do something it otherwise couldn't do, like an iPhone... which is basically crippled to the point of only being able to do what Apple wants it to do out of the box.

Personally, I hate copyright... but while the laws are in place, they have not only the right to send a cease and desist, but they are backed by the US government while doing so.

Copyright laws suck and need to be totally revamped.

steeleshark2

Reaction score
All I can say is that if someone wanted to brick all phones with this update, they would have a class action lawsuit with thousands of members and these thousands of members would be very unhappy customers which all in all would cost money and make for not very good business. With this law that has been passed, it puts this whole thing in a grey area and would a company be willing to loose hundreds of thousands or even millions on this action? I would think not.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P

. Also, it isn't exactly a passed law... it's more of a "you can't hide behind copyright protections to stop people" sort of thing.

That is why I said it was a court decision, I didn't say law just posting the link. I think they should just be happy they have thousands of free beta testers. There is no better way to test software and or hardware than in a real world environment with people that use it everyday.

johaBBa

Reaction score

All the court decision means is that the company/carrier cannot use copyright law to sue you for jailbreaking nor press criminal charges. They can still try to prevent unauthorized software. They may also find another law to use.

When you buy a DX, you enter into an agreement with Motorola. I'm sure no one actually read all those papers that came with your shiny new toy......

In that agreement, you agree to allow Motorola and/or VZw to remotely disable your phone if it detects "unauthorized use". This "unauthorized use" could be someone stole your phone, your phone has a malicious (read: unofficial) software, or you bypassing security features.

All that being said....check my sig. :)

Last edited:

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yup Yup!! Also, remember, Android software is open source. I dunno what grounds Motorola has in sending a C&D letter, but if I was a webmaster, I wouldn't wanna have to spend money to goto court to find out.

Yes. Android is open source.

But guess what? Not everything on a Motorola Android device is open source Android stuff.

I'm pretty sure things like the bootloader, and Moto-proprietary drivers/kernel modules, are closed source. As well as the Motoblur stuff. Those are the properties Moto is seeking to protect.

Just because a company does something inconvenient, doesn't mean they are doing anything wrong.