Will the Incredible ever be as popular as the DROID?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Verizon is not giving any advertising to the Incredible. And until the Inventory matches the demand sales will be slow.

What's the latest of that thing anyway, last I heard it was discontinued, then I think somebody else said no. Not trying to change the subject, just get the facts straight.

Mojo

Reaction score
Well I make my living selling these devices, and I can tell you that I get more requests for the incredible than the Droid. If there was not inventory issues with the incredible. It would easily out sell the Droid 1. So IMO yes the incredible has already got more popular then Droid 1.

But if you talk to the mass public, the ones that don't know the difference between a blackberry storm and a Droid, and ask them if they have even heard of the Incredible they will say no. But I guarantee you they've heard of the Droid.

I do talk to the public...lol.. and trust me they know what the incredible is.

Mojo

Reaction score
Verizon is not giving any advertising to the Incredible. And until the Inventory matches the demand sales will be slow.

What's the latest of that thing anyway, last I heard it was discontinued, then I think somebody else said no. Not trying to change the subject, just get the facts straight.

Its not discontinued. They just changed the skew code.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well I make my living selling these devices, and I can tell you that I get more requests for the incredible than the Droid. If there was not inventory issues with the incredible. It would easily out sell the Droid 1. So IMO yes the incredible has already got more popular then Droid 1.

But if you talk to the mass public, the ones that don't know the difference between a blackberry storm and a Droid, and ask them if they have even heard of the Incredible they will say no. But I guarantee you they've heard of the Droid.

I do talk to the public...lol.. and trust me they know what the incredible is.

I'm not talking about people who walk into a phone shop. I'm talking about people on the street.

My point is that the Droid is getting the advertising dollar, not the Incredible. And at this point with what we can do with our Droids I still don't think the Incredible is really ready to compete with the Droid. I think it will someday.

Anyway, I will never buy an Incredible. I want a Droid. And I want the Droid 2 to be exact. Why? Because I'm old, stubborn, and I won't listen to reason.

I just hope they don't release the Droid 2 until September so I can be the only kid on the block to have one. :D

zMd113

Reaction score
I want the Incredible 2 next year at some point. Verison will want a new version of it with the popularity of the current model.

Or whatever Android based Sony phone there is at the time. I'm still hoping for a PlayStation phone announcement next year.

Last edited:
OP
R

rsarno

Reaction score
This is a great discussion, thank you all.

It looks like a lot agree the dInc would have stood a chance if the supply shortages didnt happen. That sucks

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think you'll see any HTC device, let alone the Incredible, surpass any Moto Android device in popularity.

Moto seems to have a much more open minded approach to Android and seems to know that making a phone easier to 'root' can help drive sales and interest.

iPirate

Reaction score

So the incredible is so popular they don't need to advertise? I'm not saying you are wrong, but this is what I see. I have never seen a DI in public, I have seen many Droids.

I don't know how people even know what a DI is seeing that I think I have seen maybe one commercial.

zMd113

Reaction score
Because Verison really can't keep advertising the Incredible now because it will only drive them further behind, before the Incredible launched I was seeing a ton of ads for it. But since the screen supply issue the Incredible ads in my area have been reduced to about 2 a day. So Verison is trying to drive the folks that want one to the X. Actually the same thing happened to me when I went into a Verison store, the guy tried to sell me a MOTO Droid on the spot because they had them in stock. But I already knew about the Incredible being on back order and I decided to wait and I'm glad I did.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think you'll see any HTC device, let alone the Incredible, surpass any Moto Android device in popularity.

Moto seems to have a much more open minded approach to Android and seems to know that making a phone easier to 'root' can help drive sales and interest.

i agree with your first point, but as to your second, that's not really true. the Droid 1 was the exception. every other moto phone has been locked down.

just saying

:motdroidvert:

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I guess id like to ask a 2 part question

1. Will the Incredible ever be as popular as the DROID?

2. What makes the DROID so popular? There are many other devices at this point, including Google's own device which one would assume would be superior in every way (software wise).

So what is the draw to the DROID, and will the dInc every have it? lol

1. I don't think it will. I think it's delivery problems and the release of the Droid X, the soon to be released Droid 2 and the announced Droid Pro have doomed it. It's a great phone (in the best phone available until the Droid X), but it's not off to a good start.

2. The initial ad campaign was brilliant and folks were attracted to the features and the feel of the phone. With so many phones feeling "plastic" and insubstantial, the Droid felt like it was machined from a solid piece of metal. And then it was rooted and the thing was off like a shot. The Droid X and the Droid Pro are going to be huge (imho).

this exactly, imo.. the other element of this is the "first". remember when the iphone first came out and people were all over it? i'm not sure there has been another iphone rush that was as big as the first, at least not in hype. same thing with cars. it happens with every BIG change to the mustang body style. after the fox body, the 94' was really popular, same with 99', etc. I know there are a lot of BMW guys that are waiting for the designs to start dropping now that chris "bungle" is gone too, so the next few BMW year models will likely be quite popular. it's all about who already has one because of some initial rush, and who is waiting on the next "latest and greatest".

OP
R

rsarno

Reaction score
I have heard a ton of radio advertising for the Incredible. Much more than the DROID actually.

But yes, i see more commercials on TV for the DROID than the Incredible

This out of stock issue really hindered the growth i bet

Mojo

Reaction score

So the incredible is so popular they don't need to advertise? I'm not saying you are wrong, but this is what I see. I have never seen a DI in public, I have seen many Droids.

I don't know how people even know what a DI is seeing that I think I have seen maybe one commercial.

They pulled back on advertising because supply cannot keep up with demand. Once supply is back up, you will get sick of the advertisements. If it was not a popular device there would not be supply issues. Make since?
Vzw shifting the focus for a while... but it will be back.