The tablet PC and why are they so popular?

Darksthour

Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering this ever since the iPad came out last year and has resurfaced with the new upcoming Motoroloa Xoom and the Samsung Galaxy Tab being released. Why would I ever want to buy one? I don't understand the tablet PC world and why everyone is so willing to spend the same amount of money on an OS (if not the exact same OS) that you can get on a smartphone. Yes there is the new android 3.0 built for tablets and I personally have never used it. But can it really be that different and revolutionary that it is worth specializing for a market of tablets? Wouldn't you just come out with a new line of the android OS for tablets instead of making an update to accommodate a tablet? In my opinion if you were looking for a portable device that you could access the internet and everything you could do at a desktop why not buy a cheaper laptop? A good laptop now a days if relatively cheap and if you are looking for a computer even more portable they also make net books.
As an example a tablet PC runs about $700 for a top of the line model. Where as a net book would cost you around $300 for a top of the line model. Now call me fool or whatever but can't you get a lot more for your money out of a net book? For instance you would have a fully functional physical keyboard. You can get the same USB ports and what have you for a tablet for a keyboard/mouse and what have you but you are also paying more money for slower hardware. I always thought that a tablet PC would be able to run faster processors and contain similar memory as a net book because they are approximatively the same size. So why can't you get better hardware in it than what you would get with a top of the line 5 times the size smartphone running the same operating system? Now I don't mean to belittle a tablet user I'm just incredibly confused as to why one would ever want to purchase one. They seem incredibly impractical and as far as I can see someone would only have one just to show everyone how savvy they are that they have the newest of technology. I would love to hear your thoughts as to why you want to or have already bought one because frankly I just don't see the point.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
You said it best, they are impractical.

A laptop is twice as good and a phone would do the same job and take up 1/8 the space.

It's a consumer world out there, where advertising is basically brainwashing and people get persuaded into buying anything, not because it's useful, but because it's new.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i'm with you on this i don't understand spending all that money for something that doesn't do any more then my current phone does....

darkmatter

Reaction score
I actually do a bit of typing with my phone. I'd be happy with a bluetooth keyboard I could use with my phone. I imagine it couldn't be that hard to make one.

if they had this, I could forgo needing a keyboard with my next phone (and get a bionic)

as for tablets, the only ones that really have my interest are ones like.. Asus unveils tablet Slider and Transformer at CES basically, an oversized droid, lol.