Could Android eventually compete with Windows as a PC OS?

cb3FSU

Reaction score
All the geeks seem to love Linux, Android is a Linux OS, they are using it on some of the Netbooks and will use it on the Tablet PC's that are coming out in the next year or so...whats to stop GOOGLE from creating a version to run on PC's and take on Windows as a mainstream OS?

Would it not make sense to have the OS on your portable device compatible the way MAC does? They are expecting 1 million Droids to be sold by Q4. It would seem that Android is going to take over as the top smartphone OS in the next couple of years with every cell carrier including AT&T carrying numerous Android based options.

Would that not be a major cog in GOOGLE's plan for world domination?

Would this not be a major opportunity to introduce a branded Linux OS to the mainstream and kick Microsoft in the ballsack?

thesandman51

Reaction score
Google said they didn't have any plans for getting into the OS market, but who knows? I'm sure they will when it looks profitable enough.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

tktouch12

Reaction score
I was gonna say, chrome is google, but it's a 'web based' os. Not really linux
but ya. They should come out with an android type os, I'd prob use it ( but I already dual boot with Linux)

jsb432

Reaction score
I was gonna say, chrome is google, but it's a 'web based' os. Not really linux
but ya. They should come out with an android type os, I'd prob use it ( but I already dual boot with Linux)

I think it is still Linux based, but not being a programmer, I'm not entirely sure what that means. I think the "web based" reference means it's designed for cloud based computing, where the majority of applications and stuff are run right off the internet, rather than resident on the device.

Anyway, here's a link to Google PR announcing Chrome OS (much may have changed since then):
Official Google Blog: Introducing the Google Chrome OS

A couple of snippets:

"...So today, we're announcing a new project that's a natural extension of Google Chrome — the Google Chrome Operating System. It's our attempt to re-think what operating systems should be."

"Google Chrome OS is a new project, separate from Android. Android was designed from the beginning to work across a variety of devices from phones to set-top boxes to netbooks. Google Chrome OS is being created for people who spend most of their time on the web, and is being designed to power computers ranging from small netbooks to full-size desktop systems. While there are areas where Google Chrome OS and Android overlap, we believe choice will drive innovation for the benefit of everyone, including Google."