Switching from laptop to tablet?

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
The Background
My wife is on a Acer laptop, couple years old 11 or 15" screen.
it gets the job done. but is slowly dieing out.
she uses it for.
Facebook, reading yahoo or other news articles, Skype, browsing eBay, and most importantly
school.
so some paper writing and other such things.

The Questions
i was wondering. the word program on phones is the same on tablets?
does it work well with most file formats?

for the other things listed.
who else has moved from a laptop to a tablet?
why?
is there anything you miss?
would you suggest a keyboard? (that Logitech solar powered one looks sweet :p)

i'm thinking about surprising her for her birthday with a nexus 7. but i want to make sure the tablet will do what it needs to do for her.

so for all those to picked up a tablet. please input your experiences.

Thank you, Tom

dl1762

Reaction score
I have been using my tablet exclusively at home. But i do not think it can replace a laptop yet for everything

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
A laptop is irreplaceable, at least to me. I use my Xoom for light browsing at home, media, and travel. The laptop I use for school mainly and more "intense" browsing, such as right now posting on forums. I don't think tablets were ever meant to replace laptops, but to be just another device to use instead of going to your pc or bringing something lighter than a laptop. Alot of things still work better with a PC and if you type as much as I do, a physical keyboard is almost a necessity. Tablets are nice gadgets to have as another media device, but as a complete laptop replacement, not even close, to me anyway.

In terms of basic programs, Google drive/documents pretty much take care of that. You can type of school work or anything else you'd like. You can definitely get a bluetooth keyboard for applications that require alot of typing, but it's the OS that counts and I much prefer Windows as it's a more "universal" (sorry lack a better word) OS.

Beka27

Reaction score
In my opinion, a tablet is awesome to have but can't replace a laptop. I use my tablet for games, checking email, facebook, and light web browsing, but if I'm going to need to actually type more than a sentence or two (replies on forums, long emails), I switch to my laptop. I'd get her a nice laptop.