Android Tablet or a Laptop/Netbook?

baldybill

Reaction score
Ok, I can't decide what my best bet is. I'm looking for something that can work in a pinch for travel or when the power goes out that I can:

1. Use to type/edit documents
2. Connect to the internet (via a wireless router or mifi box)
3. Have the ability to transfer documents to and from my main PC

I believe both a laptop and an Android Tablet would fit the bill.
The tablet would be smaller/more portable
The laptop / netbook would essentially be able to do slightly more

But which would be the cheaper and better overall solution?

comk4ver

Reaction score
I find netbooks too stripped down. I would recommend a laptop. However, I find that a mifi is unnecessary most places have wifi this days. After all you can't use the laptop while driving.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Really a laptop is cheaper and can do more. I'd skip the netbook altogether.

sent from my ICS flavored Touchpad

redsox 98

Reaction score
I'll try and keep this as short as possible. I was in the same boat as you a couple of months ago. Luckily I got in on the HP deal in Dec at best buy ;-). I have a net book and my opinion is stay away from them. To stripped down and really under powered. I use my tab to carry with me everyday (I'm a construction worker and own my own company) for my schedule and to quickly look up things from the web and the occasional email. I use my laptop for anything more than that. The tab just can't do some of the "heavier" things like a laptop can. If you are just going to play angry birds and lightly surf the web then a tab. If you are going to do documents and really surf the web get a laptop. The only big plus for a rabbis battery life. Mine will easily last a day as apposed to my laptop 4-5 hrs. Another option is buy a used tab. I have the HP touch pad with cm9 on it. Very good piece of equipment and web os really isn't bad at all. Honestly I really like web os just not any support for apps. Just my .02. Good luck

Follow me on twitter @jandmsparky

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
For that, you don't need hardly any power. I'd go with the Transformer, myself, assuming by "documents" you mean Word and not Excel or PP (in which case you probably need a low/mid-tier laptop).

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Even though a netbook is low powered compared to a laptop, it is still more powerful and can do a lot more than a tablet. If you want to type a lot or work on spreadsheets then netbook or laptop. If you do get a netbook get a dual core one. A 12 inch screen one will give you decent resolution. My wife uses a 3 year old ASUS 1000HA single core netbook and it works fine for web surfing and typing documents. I have used it while traveling for spreadsheet and simple photo editing too. It is also much easier to sync with your PC since both are Windows.

OP
B

baldybill

Reaction score
Ok, I agree not to look at a Netbook.

I'm looking at doing some Word/Excel (As I know Documents to Go can do that) but nothing past simple stuff.
So, I guess I'm down to deciding between some sort of Transformer or a cheap laptop.

I like the Tab battery life, and the laptop keyboard. Hmm.

Any other thoughts?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
If you're trying to make it work with your PC, it's just easier to get a laptop. I use a chromebook mainly for school and it is a bit of a pain trying to take notes in class and then coming home and converting them to word documents. It's nice that I can save to the cloud, but overall it's more of a hassle to me. I have a netbook, but haven't touched that in ages.

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got a tablet for the wife a year ago and guess what?

I'm sitting here posting at DF while I wait on the mail lady with my wifes new laptop. I'm not sure where tablets actually fit in to todays life style. Now that its mine I read web versions of my magazines watch youtube in a pinch. The problem is I could do all of these things on my phone, so I'm not sure I even like the tablet.

I haven't had any time with a netbook? They seem dumb.

wegriffin8642

Reaction score
For that, you don't need hardly any power. I'd go with the Transformer, myself, assuming by "documents" you mean Word and not Excel or PP (in which case you probably need a low/mid-tier laptop).

Can you put MS Word on a Transformer and use it?

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's simple. For the price you would spend on a tablet, get a laptop. They are more fully functional, have keyboards, are portable, have a full operating system and can run full programs.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I got a tablet for the wife a year ago and guess what?

I'm sitting here posting at DF while I wait on the mail lady with my wifes new laptop. I'm not sure where tablets actually fit in to todays life style. Now that its mine I read web versions of my magazines watch youtube in a pinch. The problem is I could do all of these things on my phone, so I'm not sure I even like the tablet.

I haven't had any time with a netbook? They seem dumb.
My tablet came very handy on my roadtrips. Loaded up some of my tv shows, books, and some games on there. Tablets make for a good "lightweight" browser, e-reader, and media. Yes a laptop can do all the same, but when it comes to taking a device on the road with me, so far I've grabbed my tablet and it hasn't disappoint since.