Wifi tether (that's not Ad-Hoc)

kmcgill88

Reaction score
I currently use barnacle wifi tether which works great for my laptop buuut I'm looking a wifi tether app that runs as an AP so I can connect devices which don't support ad-hoc.

Any direction would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
You're not going to find one, at least not for the D1.

Reason being, the wifi chipset used in the D1 is not capable of acting as a true Access Point.

The "Wireless Tether for Root Users" app actually DOES support infrastructure (AP) mode; however it only works on certain capable devices such as the HTC Evo 4G - other devices such as the D1 will run in ad-hoc mode.

rickt1152

Reaction score
Your OP didn't specify what type of devices you were trying to connect. Keep in mind that Wireless Tether also supports Bluetooth Tether if you can connect that way. But yes, D1 no luck in Infrastructure Mode.

OP
K

kmcgill88

Reaction score
Your OP didn't specify what type of devices you were trying to connect. Keep in mind that Wireless Tether also supports Bluetooth Tether if you can connect that way. But yes, D1 no luck in Infrastructure Mode.

I didn't think of bluetooth, good point.

I would like to try connecting my D1 to an iPad(2) and I'm pretty sure iPad's don't support ad-hoc. Do you know if Barnacle supports bluetooth tethering? If not, any suggestions on a wifi tether app that does?

rickt1152

Reaction score

I didn't think of bluetooth, good point.

I would like to try connecting my D1 to an iPad(2) and I'm pretty sure iPad's don't support ad-hoc. Do you know if Barnacle supports bluetooth tethering? If not, any suggestions on a wifi tether app that does?

My experience with Apple devices (iTouch) is that they will tether via wifi with a D1 using the normal Wireless Tether app from the Market (Version 2.06 or 2.07). I can't say for sure about the iPad 2, but suspect it will as well. Wifi Tether will also support BT tethering and is selectable from the menu. I have not tried BT with Apple products, but have sucessfully with my Xoom. Last, you will generally get higher speeds with the wifi vs. BT, so wifi should be first choice if it works.

rickt1152

Reaction score
Many but not all kernels allow wifi tether. After you install Wireless Tether, start the program and it should either work or you will get a message that your kernel is incompatible. You can always flash a different kernel if necessary, but just try what you have first.

Sorry I'm a lil slow this afternoon! I looked at the "Wireless Tether for Root users" in the market and noticed 2 prerequisites:

1: Root -- Check
2: Netfilter-enabled kernel --whats this mean?

My kernel is: 2.6.32.9-cm-stkmtwebster@eng-laptop #1

Am I good to go?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk