WiFi Tether App

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
Looks like the free WiFi Tether app is being worked on for DROID support, since we can now root the DROID.

Link: Issue 205 - android-wifi-tether - Motorola Droid - Developing & Testing - Project Hosting on Google Code

Really hope this releases soon. I read one of the FAQ pages on PDANet that described having to configure an ad-hoc peer-to-peer connection to get wifi through the phone. Is that true, or can you simply enable a hotspot on the phone and use a computer to connect normally like any other hotspot/access point?

If that is true about PDANet, then using WiFi Tether will be so much easier, as the connect process on the computer is the same as when connecting to other wifi hotspots.

Sometimes my Home connection is screwed up some days and the damn DSL sync won't work all day. This would be great when I really need to do something important while my home network is down, or when im on vacation =]

Lets discuss other wifi applications here as well, and their different features. WiFi Tether seems to be the best and easiest to use for connecting via wifi. I'm not sure i it supports USB, so I might need to use PDANet for a USB connection (desktop pc with no wifi card)...

ch0sen0ne

Reaction score
I was able to get up and running on proxoid via USB but not able to access https sites.

I'd love to be able to connect through wifi. It would make the process very simple and wouldn't have to have the USB cable whenever I wanted to jump on the net and not at home.

Stinson317

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
WIFI Tether

I want this bad. I haven't rooted my phone yet, but would for this. There was a commerical app for wm. I can't recall what it was named and I can't seem to find it via google. Anybody have an idea of what it was called and if they are planning on a driod flavor. I'm thinking I'd pay for something over rooting (since it is a company phone)

Plastikk

Reaction score
I want this bad. I haven't rooted my phone yet, but would for this. There was a commerical app for wm. I can't recall what it was named and I can't seem to find it via google. Anybody have an idea of what it was called and if they are planning on a driod flavor. I'm thinking I'd pay for something over rooting (since it is a company phone)

Its called WMWIFIRouter (WMWifiRouter - Welcome) it looks like they are not going to create it for anything but WM. I am really hoping that someone will come out with something like this. I was running this prior to switching to the Droid and miss it badly.:mad:

talondesigns

Reaction score
ive been using pdanet.. its a trial, but after 30 days, it only allows http access.. which is enough for me. very easy to set up, and ive been experiencing great performance with it. bout 400k download speeds through my laptop when connected. not perfect for all, but enough for me :)

edit to add: i should mention that ive been using pdanet on a non-rooted phone.

Stinson317

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
why wifi

PDAnet is a great product and I'm sure it works well (as it has in other formats over the years). I used to tether with my i760 and its a great way to go. In fact I never saw a use case for the wifi application until now. Now I have 2 kids with iPods and I'm thinking how nice it would be for them (agh me) that as I'm driving down the road they could through a wifi connection to the droid still have access to online content. So for me, I'm waiting for wifi hotspot application or hack, free tether solution, or finally jumping in with PDAnet. I don't have a pressing need yet, however, I feel a bit exposed without the tether solution that I had with my i760. Merry xMas eveyone!

Big Cam

Reaction score
Is this like using your phone as an internet connection for your computer? Doesn't Verizon charge for this? Wouldn't this be against their policy?

Stinson317

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
WiFi

Whew...ready the thread where the procedure is defined to implement on a rooted phone. Not ready for that procedure yet. But I am watching that unfold. Maybe the restore image will get me to jump in.

smilepak

Reaction score

Its called WMWIFIRouter (WMWifiRouter - Welcome) it looks like they are not going to create it for anything but WM. I am really hoping that someone will come out with something like this. I was running this prior to switching to the Droid and miss it badly.:mad:

I've used it before. Pretty good software. There is a reason why it is only for WM. It is called WMWifiRouter heeheh

Natolx

Reaction score
Alright got it working :D is there any way to modify the script so that the SSID is broadcast for a longer period?

Dedman

Reaction score
Is this like using your phone as an internet connection for your computer? Doesn't Verizon charge for this? Wouldn't this be against their policy?

That's what I need too. I'm already accessing the net on my droid through my wifi router at home. I want a way to access the net on my laptop through my droid while I'm on the road. I don't have any desire to root my phone, so I would pay for an app that does this.

OP
S

SwordOfWar

Reaction score

That's what I need too. I'm already accessing the net on my droid through my wifi router at home. I want a way to access the net on my laptop through my droid while I'm on the road. I don't have any desire to root my phone, so I would pay for an app that does this.

Pdanet is probably your best option without rooting. Yes this is against Verizon's policy and you will probably be charged if you use a lot of data without having an official tethering plan.

tmiles

Reaction score
anyone tried using pdanet with facebook? It will go to the homepage and that is it. farmville or anything else just flashes up and then goes away to "cannot display this page". Thanks. I have the full 29.00 version.

modroid

Reaction score
My motorola droid has been rooted and I have the wireless tether app wireless_tether_2_0_pre3_eclair loaded. I can thether my laptop to the phone with an ad hoc connection. My computer shows that I am connected with good signal strength. However, I can not access the internet on my computer. Not sure why. Has anyone experienced this problem or know what I can do to get it working?