PDANet wireless tethering question

Dremmer

Reaction score
I have used PDANet without problems with usb tethering for a while now. My question is if I choose to connect using the wireless tethering option, does it come across exactly the same way as if I were using the usb tethering option?Apparently I'm not using enough to raise any flags with VZW, and I would like to be able to listen to Pandora on my TV, which has an ethernet connection. Second question would be; I used a mifi2200 hotspot device to connect to my tv for pandora, with the tv using a universal wireless ethernet adapter. Will I be able to connect to PDANet wirelessly, and still remain 'hidden'?Thanks for any help.

Natey2

Reaction score
Does PDANet support WiFi like FoxFi does? I recall it only supported USB tethering and Bluetooth DUN.

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Hello Natey2,

Last time I checked, PDANet's Wi-Fi element is FoxFi.

Note that FoxFi works on some devices but not others. In particular, it generally does not work in Jelly Bean. Also, HTC models are prominent among those not supporting FoxFi.

FoxFi Devices

Meanwhile, Verizon Wireless has since agreed not to restrict tethering apps - except for those still on unlimited data plans:

FCC to Verizon: Don’t block tethering apps. Verizon settles for $1.25M — Mobile Technology News

Cheers,

Jeff Deutsch

Natey2

Reaction score
I'm actually using Susteen DataPilot Tether http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=111387 , which is the older PDANet v2.45, which does not include a WiFi option.
I'm also using FoxFi v1.91, which works on my DroidX running Android 2.3.4

I guess any kind of upgrade for me may be disastrous from a tethering / hotspot perspective. Lol!

Edit: I see Susteen has a variant that may be the newer PDANet that includes the WiFi option: http://www.frys.com/product/6802046

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk2

wyealbert

Reaction score
I am running Windows 8 and can USB tether with pdanet even though I still have an unlimited data plan. However, I can't get bluetooth tethering to work at all. I have loaded FoxFi, but it's not connecting with the PC even though pairing is complete. Any ideas???

Thanks!

Hello Natey2,

Last time I checked, PDANet's Wi-Fi element is FoxFi.

Note that FoxFi works on some devices but not others. In particular, it generally does not work in Jelly Bean. Also, HTC models are prominent among those not supporting FoxFi.

FoxFi Devices

Meanwhile, Verizon Wireless has since agreed not to restrict tethering apps - except for those still on unlimited data plans:

FCC to Verizon: Don’t block tethering apps. Verizon settles for $1.25M — Mobile Technology News

Cheers,

Jeff Deutsch

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Hello wyealbert,

Well, yes you can tether even with an unlimited data plan. Whether Verizon will tolerate it if and when they find out is another matter.

As for getting Bluetooth tethering up and running - sorry, I'm fresh out of ideas. Good luck!

Jeff Deutsch

I am running Windows 8 and can USB tether with pdanet even though I still have an unlimited data plan. However, I can't get bluetooth tethering to work at all. I have loaded FoxFi, but it's not connecting with the PC even though pairing is complete. Any ideas???

Thanks!