WiFi Tether App

flameboy

Reaction score
Now I have 2 kids with iPods and I'm thinking how nice it would be for them (agh me) that as I'm driving down the road they could through a wifi connection to the droid still have access to online content.

Wifi tether will not work with most portable devices like iPods because it uses an adhoc connection instead of becoming a hotspot. Many (most) portable devices that aren't laptops don't support this type of connection.

My understanding is that there are technical reasons why the phone cannot tether as a hotspot.... and while it may be possible in the future, you shouldn't be counting on it.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Now I have 2 kids with iPods and I'm thinking how nice it would be for them (agh me) that as I'm driving down the road they could through a wifi connection to the droid still have access to online content.

Wifi tether will not work with most portable devices like iPods because it uses an adhoc connection instead of becoming a hotspot. Many (most) portable devices that aren't laptops don't support this type of connection.

My understanding is that there are technical reasons why the phone cannot tether as a hotspot.... and while it may be possible in the future, you shouldn't be counting on it.

My bet is because a computer to computer network only forwards the data, it only ties two network connections together. A hotspot or router actually reads packet information and discriminately forwards information.

I'm sure it's possible to make the droid into a hotspot, but it would chew through battery life like no other.