tethering with PdaNet - safe?

evoDude0

Reaction score
Hey - new android owner here... :icon_ banana:

I've read several threads about PdaNet, and it seems to be fairly safe assuming you are using SSL for purchasing items etc.

Should I have any concerns about using FTP via PdaNet?

Also - is connecting via USB tether more secure than a wireless tether? Or is there no difference?

Thanks!

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Prior to rooting my phone, I used PdaNet. I had no reservations or issues. Perhaps I've just been lucky with purchasing electronically but I look for SSL and, typically, I do not use my laptop when purchasing or making payments.

I did not perform any FTP processes via Pdanet. Is the site secure? I believe SSH is the process to secure FTP but I have no idea if it can be added.

Since rooting, I use the Android Wireless tether app and it works well, Not positive about one being more secure than the other. As long as your router has password protection and encryption I believe you will be OK.

Hope this is helpful.

Mike

OP
E

evoDude0

Reaction score
Should I be using a router to connect with PdaNet? Or do you mean that my phone should have a built in router?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Should I be using a router to connect with PdaNet? Or do you mean that my phone should have a built in router?

Pdanet uses your device as a wireless modem. No router needed.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry for my poor explanation. My statement regarding a router was not necessary. I was thinking about connecting without my phone. Backnblack is correct, my mistake.

Mike

OP
E

evoDude0

Reaction score
Okay. I'm still not sure about FTP, but I'm guessing it is safe...

One other question..

What happens if someone calls me when I have PdaNet connected... Does that cause a conflict?

I guess it would be hard to take a call with the phone tethered to a computer with a USB cord... Is it best to just unplug the USB cord before answering the phone? Any thoughts on this?

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Secure sites require the pay version of PDANet. Everything else is accessible through the free version.

If you get a call while tethering it will come through. Data/web site suspends while you I talk. I often talk on speaker or normal mic while tethered depending on the length/importance of the call. Data/web site will resume after call is terminated if you do not un-tether.

therock

Reaction score
I use it with my droid1 often and its great. The speed is almost 10 times faster than old dial up.