WiFi issues with ROOTED Froyo. Droid 1

xmguy

Reaction score
WiFi issues with ROOTED Froyo AND 2.1. Droid 1 (With videos!)

I applied the latest Froyo update and my WiFI is sketchy. I have an app called WiFi Analyzer. It will jump from displaying Full signal to no signal back and forth. When I'm within a few feet from my router. My 2.1 install didn't so this. I'm not sure of the issue.

The same thing happened to my last Froyo attempt. I awhile back tried to overclock my phone to 1.2 Ghz without a custom kernel. The phone started to FC and then the screen went blank. I pulled my battery and it worked fine from then out. But WiFi has had a slight issue since then. It won't update. When I move further or closer to my router it will only display the signal level from when I got signal not updating. My guess is the OCing damaged the WiFi chip.

Is this a possibility? Wifi works fine. But the indicator (on the status bar) in Froyo is unusable. 2.1 it's ok. It will update sometimes but not all the time. Seems to work fine for data. Using the WiFi Analizer in 2.1 it's perfect.

In 2.2 it shows WEAK signal when I'm near my router. 2.1 shows strong signal near my router. (on status bar)

Now on 2.1 if I go into the wireless menu my status bar wifi indicator updates. But in normal home screen or app usage it stays at the level it registered at on start up. 2.2 Nothing makes it show full signal. It shows weak signal everywhere in every menu or app even wireless menu.

Ideas?

I want 2.2. but the WiFi issue is killing me.

Video showing "update" of WiFi on status bar. 2.1

P1010758.mp4 video by xmguy - Photobucket

See post #4 for Froyo WiFi issue.

NEW VIDEOS for 2.1 and 2.2 WiFi issues. (Page 4)

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...sues-rooted-froyo-droid-1-a-5.html#post749732

Most WiFi issues gone on FROYO when using Kangerade. (Page 6)

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...sues-rooted-froyo-droid-1-a-6.html#post754470

VIDEO

ruinah

Reaction score
have you run any speed tests? Could be the wifi analyzer isn't patched for 2.2 yet. Have you had any actual issues other than the bars dropping? I'm running Froyo and I see similar behavior with wifi analyzer but don't have any connectivity issues that the app would suggest I do.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
have you run any speed tests? Could be the wifi analyzer isn't patched for 2.2 yet. Have you had any actual issues other than the bars dropping? I'm running Froyo and I see similar behavior with wifi analyzer but don't have any connectivity issues that the app would suggest I do.

See the new video I uploaded. I just installed Froyo again. I even tried a FRESH Froyo install. No Apps installed and the wifi bar didn't update.

I decided to remove all "WiFI" based apps. See if an running app was locking the WiFi indicator in the status bar.

UPDATE: I've noticed in the Wireless menu that my signal shows excellent then poor signal back and forth. Non stop.

ruinah

Reaction score
UPDATE: I've noticed in the Wireless menu that my signal shows excellent then poor signal back and forth. Non stop.

But again, signal dropping on a menu doesn't mean that there is a problem with connectivity. Have you had issues where you can't connect to something or you get timeouts, or packet loss that you can show?

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score

But again, signal dropping on a menu doesn't mean that there is a problem with connectivity. Have you had issues where you can't connect to something or you get timeouts, or packet loss that you can show?

How do I check for packet loss?

huskur

Reaction score
Before calling it a loss try another access point. I had the same issue with 2 linksys routers at work but at home and at our local cafe/coffee shop i have stellar performance. The coffee shop uses Belkin's and i use D-Link at home

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
Speeds are ok. I subscribe to 8MB Down and 1MB Up on Charter Communications. This is fairly constant.

P1010762.jpg

Jscullin

Reaction score
My Droid isn't rooted but I noticed the Wifi icon is probably a little more accurate of signal strength. It used to show full bars up in my room but now it's 2 or 3 on Froyo. Haven't had any issues w/it losing connections but it sometimes take a little longer to jump to wifi when coming out of standby.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
Mine just stays at showing no bars on the Status Bar then signal, no signal in the WiFi setting screen and using scanning apps.

Skull One

Reaction score
You are leaving out some very key pieces of information to troubleshoot this problem.

1) 2.2 ROM being used include maker and version.
2) 2.2 Kernel being used include maker, slots, min/max freq and voltage.
3) 2.1 ROM being used include maker and version.
4) 2.1 Kernel being used include maker, slots, min/max freq and voltage.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thank you for making those videos - I've been having these issues since day 1 with any of the Froyo builds, rom or stock.

My issue early on was that it wouldn't connect to wifi AT ALL unless I opened up the settings (as you did to show the signal increase). Since, up until last week, we had to be rooted to run any of this, I went into the build.prop file and changed the wifi scan from 90 seconds (which evidently all the ROMs use, as well as the rooted leaks from p3, etc.) back to 15 seconds, which was the default in 2.1. That fixed the issue of not connecting. (and yes, I tested out Froyo for more than 90 seconds before changing the file)

But, I still get the same issue you do - the wireless signal indicator is useless. My wifi does seem to hold stronger on 2.1 than 2.2. I have tested it out to a fault. I'll restore a nandroid of rooted stock 2.1, or 2.1 custom ROM - wifi works flawlessly and stays solid and strong, no matter what area of the house I'm in, no matter what other wifi device is working (phones, other computer, baby monitor, etc.). I restore a nandroid of 2.2 rooted stock, or a 2.2 custom ROM, and the above issues crop in. I've even done as you did, and stood right by the router, disabled EVERYthing in our house that uses wifi or wireless anything, and still have the issues.

And the problem is not our signal and/or router - before 2.2, I could take my droid, or my laptop outside of my house, 20 yards in either direction, before the signal would fade at all. Now, my laptop is still the same, but the Droid on 2.2 struggles. On 2.1, my Droid picks up the wifi before I even get out of my car in front of our house. On 2.2, not the case, ever.

It's odd, for sure.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
You are leaving out some very key pieces of information to troubleshoot this problem.

1) 2.2 ROM being used include maker and version.
2) 2.2 Kernel being used include maker, slots, min/max freq and voltage.
3) 2.1 ROM being used include maker and version.
4) 2.1 Kernel being used include maker, slots, min/max freq and voltage.

For me, I've tested it with stock 2.1, stock 2.1 rooted (with and without kernel), Chevy's last 2.1 ROM, chevy's kernels. On 2.2, rooted 2.2 stock (with p3's kernel that came with the leaks and chevy's), Sapphire .8.4 and 1.0 (sapphire kernels and chevy's kernels), stock 2.2 OTA file, non-root, no kernel obviously (the latest one anyway).

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score

1) 2.2 ROM being used include maker and version. (STOCK ROM, 2.2 with root made by Pete FRG01B by Pete)
2) 2.2 Kernel being used include maker, slots, min/max freq and voltage. (2.6.62.9-g103d848android-build@apa26 #1)
3) 2.1 ROM being used include maker and version. (STOCK ROM, 2.1 with root. 2.1-update1)
4) 2.1 Kernel being used include maker, slots, min/max freq and voltage (2.6.29-omap1-g7fa8788android-build@apa26 #1 Build ESE81) .

see above in RED

Skull One

Reaction score

1) 2.2 ROM being used include maker and version. (STOCK ROM, 2.2 with root made by Pete FRG01B by Pete)
2) 2.2 Kernel being used include maker, slots, min/max freq and voltage. (2.6.62.9-g103d848android-build@apa26 #1)
3) 2.1 ROM being used include maker and version. (STOCK ROM, 2.1 with root. 2.1-update1)
4) 2.1 Kernel being used include maker, slots, min/max freq and voltage (2.6.29-omap1-g7fa8788android-build@apa26 #1 Build ESE81) .

see above in RED

I will assume those are both standard voltage kernels for the sake of this discussion.

With this information, your testing clearly shows there is a fault in the hardware.

My recommendation is simple. Install the official 2.2 ROM and take the phone into Verizon for repair. Because if you were not rooted, the results would be the same and that would be your only recourse.

If you don't believe you phone is at fault, then find the nearest open WiFi and rerun the tests. If you continue to get these issues with other makes of Wireless routers, then you have eliminated all possible variables and you are back to your phone.