2.2 wifi

vandypaul

Reaction score
OTA update last night. WiFi will not connect to my home network which is secured. 2.1 worked fine. Reconf router to be open and connected with no problem. Went back to the secured setting and after entering security code it scans/connects/disconnects and just keeps looping. Also when open network strength was excellent-when secured it showed fair. Was hoping 2.2 would make WiFi better. Anyone else?

bpad10

Reaction score
did you try re-entering your password key on the Droid?

OP
V

vandypaul

Reaction score
Yes. At least 3 times. Guess what-tried again and i am now connected. I know I have fat fingers but 3 times. Thanks

firejuan

Reaction score
I am having the same problem. I had no problems with wifi with 2.1, but after manual update to 2.2 my wifi is not working properly. I have no bars and the signal cycles in and out even when I am sitting on top of router. I ran some speed tests with improved speed, but some of the tests would not even start.

jjcf89

Reaction score
I am having the same issue with my work wifi. Worked just fine before the update but now it will connect and immediately disconnect. The will continue for a short while and then it will label the connection as disabled. The wireless uses WPA with PEAP authentication.

thatguy

Reaction score
i am also having wifi issues. i try to connect to my home network and it cycles between connected and disconnected. wont actually connect to my router. i havent been able to see if i can connect to a different network. i am currently rooted with UD 7 but had the same problem on sapphire 1.0 and before rooting phone. started within the last two months. any ideas on how to fix this

ouchcube

Reaction score
Definitely seems to be a problem

Howdy, Peeps. I'm using a Motorola Droid that had stock ROM, etc. The 2.2 update was pushed to me early yesterday morning. I'd just finished some World War and set the phone down to get ready for work. Since I was at home, I had just been using my wi-fi connection.

Anyway, immediately following the 2.2 update and the restart of my phone, the phone reconnected to my home wireless router (Linksys WRT54G). I noticed that the wireless indicator on the notification bar did not have any lines -- just the little dot at the bottom of the icon was lit up. Since I was in the bedroom immediately above my library where the router is, the signal is usually great (as acknowledged by Wi-Fi Analyzer on a regular basis by my 9 year-old son :) ), and so I usually see all three bars. I thought nothing of it initially because the phone seemed to be responding in a nice snappy way as I quickly familiarized myself with the changes to the launcher, etc. Once I restarted World War, however, I noticed that it was responding slowly at screen changes and that I was getting long waits on the Loading... screen. So, I quit the game, killed my processes, disconnected/reconnected to wifi, and checked again. Still not good. I checked the stock browser and then XScope and Opera, but no good either. Very sluggish loads with long pauses. So, this time I shut down the phone for a full restart. To my surprise, I had all 3 bars on the wifi icon in the notification bar after the restart. So, I'm thinking "problem solved! Whew!". But no, it was not and is not solved.

When I go to WiFi Analyzer and looked at the graphs. I see that my connection is tall peaks and then dead spots over time. It's as if the signal is perfect, then dead for a few seconds, the perfect again... repeating indefinitely at a regular interval of just a few seconds. When I switch to the signal meter view. I see the exact same behavior: signal meter sits buried to the left. Then, all of sudden, it swiftly moves up to a green strong signal and beeps in quick succession indicating a nice strong signal. Then it falls back to the left completely after just a couple of seconds of working great. This repeats and repeats for as long as I watch it. When I look in the Droid Settings... menu and look at Wi-Fi, it shows the phone is "connected" to my network. The strange thing is, when I watch the Wi-Fi Analyzer graphs of all of the access points and channels it can find during its scanning process, I see my signal coming and going while the other signals it can see stay visibly stable in the graphs (albeit weak since they're from my neighbors).

I've tried reconfiguring the connection on my phone, restarting my router, killing processes on the phone, restarting the phone, etc. Nothing is solving this. Since the same wireless connection was working just moments before the 2.2 upgrade was pushed, I know the upgrade has broken the wi-fi connectivity on my phone... or, perhaps more fairly, seriously impaired it.

Just to be clear on my setup. Router: Linksys WRT54G (V5). I use MAC address filtering and static IP assignment with my router. My SID is not broadcast and I use WPA/PKA-2 with AES encryption. This has been the same setup I've used for this phone from day 1 back at the beginning of December 09 when I bought it. The phone had stock 2.1 from the update pushed in Q1.

While I love some of the 2.2 features and the snappier performance, the wi-fi is busted now and it is seriously slowing down my usual use of the phone at home. With unlimited data, I shouldn't care too much; however, my house is in a bit of dead spot between towers and gets lousy cell data connectivity. In fact, my AT & T friends drop voice calls in my house and usually go outside to avoid the call drops.

In searching this wi-fi problem on Google just now, I found one other account of the same exact behavior in addition to the user vandypaul in this thread that is talking about the "looping". Is no one else having this problem? We're not making it up. Honest! :)

Any help or ideas from others in the community would genuinely be appreciated. I'm hoping that any others that are having this same problem will come forward with more evidence, ideas, and data to help us figure out what exactly is happening and why. I'm going to probe some more this weekend and try setting up some different connections, testing on a friend's router, etc.

Thanks to all

bamb

Reaction score
Wi-Fi with 2.2 is broken

Have the same issues as ouchcube on Moto's Droid with Linksys WRT54GL running tomato firmware, no broadcast SSID, WPA2 with AES, no MAC filtering, dynamic IP.

Was working perfectly with 2.1 until update was automagically (with my confirmation) pushed two days ago.

Just read, that Droid X users also experience a lot of issues with Wi-Fi connectivity, and I should get mine on Monday ...

I wonder what kind of QA Motorola has???

Sterl's

Reaction score
Bummed to see no solutions posted here. Also having the WIFI issue 1st with my Work WIFI & now with my Home WIFI.
The work issue started right after I got 2.2 while @ work, the home issue didn't start till today when I took the phone into Verizion and they did a factory reset.

So no ideas how to solve this ?

dennygreen

Reaction score
Same here. Worked fine before froyo and now it wont even connect. Starting to think it is actually caused by having ssid broadcast off which is hard to believe. Guess ill have to find my router password and turn it on.

Edit: Nevermind, turns out my wifi network was messed up in some other way. flipped the power off and on and was able to connect with my phone again. Having SSID broadcast off doesn't seem to make a difference.

Last edited:

Riffin

Reaction score
Same problem here (posted on this board). Verizon sent replacement phone that had 2.1. Wireless worked fine with 2.1. After doing the OTA 2.2 update, problem reoccurred. Awaiting resolution from Verizon - not optimistic that I will be using a droid this time next week.

ouchcube

Reaction score
Possible Solution (?)

Okay, sorry for the slow update peeps. I finally had time to play with this some more after work tonight. I thought I'd tried everything under the sun. I'd even been on the phone with Verizon and they were ready to send a new phone, but I told them to let me tinker some more since I didn't want to have to set another phone up right now.

I was ready give up and call back the tech on my ticket; however, I missed a very easy item that I should have tried: I enabled the broadcast of my SSID. Yep, that's it, and it seemed to fix my problem. My wi-fi icon in the Droid notification bar immediately showed full strength (sitting by my computer), and Wi-Fi Analyzer confirmed this by showing a great signal meter as well as good graphs (no oscillating between good signal spikes and a completely dead signal). I feel like an idiot for not trying this before now.

Strangely enough, I also thought I'd searched the crap out of this topic, too. Again, I seemed to have missed something. When I searched for 2.2 wi-fi and threw in SSID, I found this link that would have given me the solution: ssid MUST be visible in order for wifi to work! How to make it work w/SSID NOT visible? - Android Help

Can someone else try this and confirm? The guy in the above thread also had the same router as me. I'm glad that this is working for me tonight, and I hope this will resolve it for someone else.

Whatever the case, 2.2 has some bugs, but broadcasting my SSID is not a terrible workaround I suppose.

Joe2000

Reaction score
Droid 2.2 WiFi Not staying connected

I have had same issue. Worked great with 2.1, after 2.2 update WiFi keeps dropping, obtaining IP then dropping a few seconds later. Tried with Broadcast ON, no change.

I tried one day with my battery at 30% and it connected and worked great. Used if for 30min with no issues. Charged up the phone then WiFi started dropping again, with low signal strength and same issue.

Did someone mess up on the power setting of the WiFi radio when battery is full? Only works when battery is low...

Can someone else test?