WIFI 2.2 Issue ....

gallows

Reaction score
The issue is not the router. It's the phone. Turn off mixed mode on the router and just set it to wireless G or Wireless N and froyo droid will push data through the wifi like it should. If it its mixed mode B/G/N or G/N with WPA security it screws everything up... unless the security is open. Then it works just fine. I've reproduced this on 4 different routers with 3 different phones. (2 Dlinks, a Netgear, and Linksys)

Play with it and you'll see. Of course this only helps us connect on networks that we have administration rights to. Does nothing for secured public or work based wireless networks.

EDIT: Removing the battery or forcing refresh of a profile will only restore the connection for a short time... if at all. (The remove battery has not worked for my Droid 2, Droid X, or Droid Incredible)

Davidbiz

Reaction score
I also have a WiFi problem with my Droid 2. It seems that as soon as I navigate away from the WiFi settings page, the connection drops. I go back to the settings and see that my Network is no longer connected. I do nothing...just sit there for about 2 seconds, and it re-connects itself. However, as soon as I navigate away again...it drops! It's extremely frustrating. I tried deleting the connection. re-establishing, taking the battery out...you name it! There are other threads here that re-iterate the problem. It's definitely an issue, whether the powers that be want to accept it or not!

rclark04

Reaction score
I have 3 modes on my router, disabled, g performance and mixed b compatible. I tried the mixed b but didn't help so I'm leaving it on G performance. I was using WEP, didn't work, I switched to WPA, still doesn't work and I even tried open and that didn't work either. I tried the battery, deleting connection, manual IP. I really don't think it's the phone per say, it worked fine with the original software. This only started when 2.2 was installed. It does work on other networks that are open like hotels and restaurants though. Would it be advantageous to go back to the original software if you can even do that?

ryanmcgreevy

Reaction score
I JUST received my droid incredible today and have spent my entire Friday night unsuccessfully trying to get wi-fi to work. I have tried everything in this thread at some point and nothing has worked. I can't even connect to open networks let alone secure ones. When I was first configuring the phone, I could not even connect to the wireless and it took me a while to find out it was a not broadcasting issue. I turned broadcasting on for a bit for setup and then once the droid connected (claimed connected, never checked if it worked) I reset the settings on the phone and tried to reconnect. It connects fine but I cannot do anything with it. No browser, no marketplace, nothing. Tried WEP, WPA, open, b, g, n, bgn, bg. I have done a factory reset, pulled the battery, everything. Couple this wifi issue with Verizon's "overnight shipping" taking several days and then a 3 hour lag in my data plan actually being turned on so I could use 3G, and this has been the worst phone experience of my life....

Bigocciput

Reaction score
The issue is not the router. It's the phone. Turn off mixed mode on the router and just set it to wireless G or Wireless N and froyo droid will push data through the wifi like it should. If it its mixed mode B/G/N or G/N with WPA security it screws everything up... unless the security is open. Then it works just fine. I've reproduced this on 4 different routers with 3 different phones. (2 Dlinks, a Netgear, and Linksys)

Play with it and you'll see. Of course this only helps us connect on networks that we have administration rights to. Does nothing for secured public or work based wireless networks.

EDIT: Removing the battery or forcing refresh of a profile will only restore the connection for a short time... if at all. (The remove battery has not worked for my Droid 2, Droid X, or Droid Incredible)

I must say this solution worked for me. I was able to connect to anything except my wireless N at home. It would connect, data just would not flow. After changing my router to G only, it is now lightning fast. Many thanks, I just wish the Droid1 would have worked without having to change my router settings.

rclark04

Reaction score
Here's another little tid bit. My son is with Comcast cable. Comcast sent him a Netgear WNR1000 router free. We hooked it up this weekend and it is running fine. When we first hooked it up we left it open. My Droid1 2.2 connected with no problems. Then we started on the all the security. We made it WPA-PSK...TKI whatever, so he had it secure with a passphrase and all that. It is working fine. I connected to his network with the passphrase with no problems and it stayed connected with lightening speed the entire time I was there. Needless to say I contacted Comcast and they are sending me a free router. I'll post again after I receive it and get it connected. FYI, anyone that is with Comcast cable can get a free router. All they charge you is $10 for shipping and handling.

ryanmcgreevy

Reaction score

I must say this solution worked for me. I was able to connect to anything except my wireless N at home. It would connect, data just would not flow. After changing my router to G only, it is now lightning fast. Many thanks, I just wish the Droid1 would have worked without having to change my router settings.

Unfortunately this does not work for me. Although I managed to connect fine to both the open and secured wireless networks at work. At least I can connect to the wireless whose router I don't have access to....now if only I can figure out my home issues.....

rclark04

Reaction score
Ok, here's the deal with my situation. I'll recap. I have a Droid1 with 2.2, before the 2.2 install I could connect to my Microsoft MN-700 router with no problems, after the 2.2 install no connection at all whatsoever. My son got a Netgear WNR1000 150n. I connected that router to his network. My Droid1 2.2 connected with no problems and stayed connected and always connects when I'm there. BTW, he got that router for $10 shipping and handling from Comcast. I called Comcast and had them ship me a router. Well, they shipped me a different router. It's an SMC Barricade-N something or other. My laptops don't even stay connected to that piece of crap much less my Droid. So I went to BestBuy and got a Netgear WNR3300 dual band whatever. All I have to say is that went back to BestBuy this morning. I went to Staples and got the same exact router my son has, $50. Connected it, took me about 5 minutes, needless to say I'm getting pretty good connecting routers. My Droid1 2.2 connected with no problems, it is still connected and it is fast. So that's my story and I'm sticking with it. Evidently certain routers are not compatible the the droid 2.2. If I have any other issues and let you all know. Thanks.

OuHiroshi

Reaction score
Here's my story. Got a Droid with stock 2.1 on it, wifi worked like a dream. I got WPA2 Enterprise PEAP all over campus and it would connect to any hotspot within 5 seconds. After upgrading to 2.2 it's been a nightmare, it would take 10-30 seconds to connect to the hot spots and will stop connecting after a few hours of use. It would just stuck in a connecting>scanning>connecting loop.

So if you have trouble with wifi just downgrade back to 2.1.

Hobo

Reaction score
Gallows fix worked for me using N and G, using SMC barricade N(which is not crap fyi)

Basscat

Reaction score
I "had" the issue with the wifi not working on my wife's DROID X and my DROID X after I upgraded them to 2.2 today. We have a TRENDnet TEW-633GR router set for Auto (WPA or WPA2). Our network is password protected.

Like everyone else, ours was working GREAT with the router until the upgrade.

This is what I did to resolve the issue.
  1. Deleted my wifi connection.
  2. clicked Add Wi-Fi network
  3. clicked on security drop down arrow and selected WPA/WPA2 PSK
  4. Added my wifi network name
  5. Added my wifi network password.
  6. Clicked save.
  7. Began using wifi again!
dancedroid

crackedvenom

Reaction score
Im on the same mn-700 router. It is a great router. Ive never had any problems with it but i cant connect my droid to it. Ive tried everything ive found online. I never used my Droid on wifi with 2.1 so im not sure if it worked or not. It connects to my works just fine.

HawaiianTime

Reaction score
OK, tried what everyone else said to do, still the same problem. I initially get a great signal, goo ping rates, than the system still show connection however, I am unable to ping the unit. Using speedtest.net, I actually watched what was a 12m download speed drop to nil. Will continue to fiddle. Just got the phone for my wife and immediately updated to 2.2, so unsure if I would have the same problems under 2.1.

richard_mtaylor

Reaction score
Ok have tried it all as well I have Droid 2 wife had HTC incredible. Hers works great....................mine .............. NOT SO MUCH !! wasted 3 hours so far today !