Droid x doesn't see one wifi.

klrskies

Reaction score
I have a meter in a car that operates via wifi. My apple MAC detects the wifi signal and operates fine, but the droid doesnt see the signal at all. It finds the signal with the router in my house OK. Is there something I can try to get it to see the signal?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Go to the market and search wifi then select one of the analyzers or hot spot finder apps.

OP
K

klrskies

Reaction score
Yes it's default setting is Ad hoc.

I don't know anything about wireless networking, but the directions say it also capable of secure infrastructure wifi communication , and the advanced configuration window can be viewed useing a standard hyperterminal communication...giving some settings and addresses, but I dont know what i'm doing.

before proceeding, I've used hyperterminal to communicate between pc's and machine tools via rs232 cable. but I dont see how you can have communication between a wireless output and something cable based...
Can someone walk me thru this, id like to learn.

Last edited:

yorT

Reaction score
Yes it's default setting is Ad hoc.

I don't know anything about wireless networking, but the directions say it also capable of secure infrastructure wifi communication , and the advanced configuration window can be viewed useing a standard hyperterminal communication...giving some settings and addresses, but I dont know what i'm doing.

before proceeding, I've used hyperterminal to communicate between pc's and machine tools via rs232 cable. but I dont see how you can have communication between a wireless output and something cable based...
Can someone walk me thru this, id like to learn.
You must have the AEM X-wifi. I've got it as well and was able to switch to infrastructure mode but again the Droid would not connect to it. We are stuck not being able to see the adhoc network. I don't get why no one has been able to come up with a kernel for the droid to connect to adhoc networks. Supposedly there is one for the Nexus but I can't confirm this. I know people have posted instructions on how to change the tiwlan file but that only works for the Nexus.

OP
K

klrskies

Reaction score
Yes, I have the aem x wifi.

I haven't tried to change it's settings yet myself. Was hopeing that would make it useable with my droid. Would like to hear what AEM has to say... Did you talk with them about it? I know the module is working fine with my other adhoc protcol laptops...

Update: spoke with AEM tech "Ed". For the droid to work, one would have to switch from adhoc to infrastructure protocol, and install a router in their car for the droid to work !...They are anticapating an operating system upgrade for the droid in a few months...they say. Oh boy....the things people do to sell.

Last edited:

yorT

Reaction score
That's exactly what they told me. I talked to them back in April. I'm not putting a router in my car. When I bought the x-wifi I was under the impression it worked with Droid beings how they said "It works with Droid." Oh well, we just have to wait for someone to come up with a way to connect to adhoc networks or hope that verizon allows this in future updates.

OP
K

klrskies

Reaction score
It still works well with a laptop, which I'll use to tune with anyway...I'm gona try useing a dataq usb aquisition module to log with. The wires from the AEM wifi module will feed a signal for AFR's and EGT's to the logger...not holding my breath on the Droid communicating via adhoc anytime soon.