WiFi hangs when watching youtube...

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
For the most part my WiFi works fine but for some reason whenever I'm watching youtube for extended periods of time (I'm a youtube junky lol) I find that my wifi connection drops on my droid. In addition when I try to reset the wifi by turning it off and on, it hangs on "Turning off..."

It's greyed out on both the power control widget and in the wifi settings. The only way to get it back to normal is to reboot the phone. I was thinking that it might be a weak signal (since my router is on the top floor of my house and my room in the basement) but my iPod, my Mac, and my USB wifi adapter for my Linux PC are all working fine.

I'm not really sure whats going on... I returned my first one because of this and had a hard time with the Rep. Anyone else experiencing this or know a cause (and preferably a fix)? :confused:

chilibilly22

Reaction score
you tube hangin

I'm having the same problem. I'm suprised no one has responed to you on this yet. I get inconsistent playback of you tube all the time. I'm trying to figure out why. I have a supposedly high speed internet service thru comcast (16 mb) and still get the lagging you tube play back. Not all the time though just most of the time. I thought it could be my router or wifi but have had no luck problem solving it yet. It happens on my laptop and desk top too. So if anyone has any solutions too this or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

OP
JonKyu

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah it kinda sucks I didn't get a response but I just took it as no-one having the same issue/don't know the answer. I think I may have pinpointed what was going wrong. After some searching (I don't know how long it took me to find the post) I found a post in Motorola's support forum in the WiFi issues thread about WiFi latency and signal strength which was my first speculation.

It was a little odd because my Old PC with old wifi adapter worked fine and my laptop worked fine. My iPod worked fine (for the most part) but it did have a few hiccups, but nothing so major that I had to restart the device. So, I moved my router closer to my room (it's actually in my room now lol) and so far I have not had a hiccup at all. I watched youtube for like 2 hours to test it out and I didn't get any wifi hang at-all same with my iPod.

My advice to you is to download WiFi Analyzer from the market place and see how your signal strength is in one of the graphs and make sure your using the optimal Channel for wifi. My Signal strength was -75/-80 before. Now it's -40/-35. If your signal strength is pretty good then it might be another problem.