Phone doesn't detect Personal wifi

AdamRoman

Reaction score
hi all :)

I'm having problems with my phone when I try to connect to the internet at home. On my first week of using this phone it used to detect our personal wifi at home, but after 3 weeks it doesn't anymore. My laptop can detect our wifi signal, though. When I went to my friend's house I was able to connect to their wifi. I really don't know what's the problem, I never changed my phone settings.

I tried to click 'Add Wi-fi Network' under Wi-fi Settings and wrote our wi-fi's SSID, security and password, but it says wi-fi is remembered but not in range.

My phone is Galaxy 5 i5500

cdt1975

Reaction score
droid not picking up wifi

We had the exact same problem. We moved house and had not changed any of the settings on the modem so it was a bit of a mystery at first when we could not pick up wifi on our phones in the new house. I thought the modem could have been damaged in the move. At first only the apple mac was working on wifi then I changed some settings and the dell laptop also worked, but still not the two droid phones. I had also downloaded the wifi analyser app on the phone. We could see all the neighbours networks but not ours. I ended up changing the modem from multiple BSSID back to single and I think I may have reset the modem and the problem went away for a few weeks.

We had a power cut the other day and since then the two droid phones have lost wifi but not the laptops.
I have read quite a few forums this morning and tried all the obvious things and a few suggestions from the forums.

In the end I tried the security settings in differnt modes until our phones picked up the wifi signal. The modem security mode was tx in WPA2-PSK. I have changed it to WPA-PSK and both droid phones see it. I have also changed a few other things like wireless mode to B and G mixed.

Hope this helps.

RealThing

Reaction score
Dittos for cdt1975. I changed mine to WPA2 with AES.

We had the exact same problem. We moved house and had not changed any of the settings on the modem so it was a bit of a mystery at first when we could not pick up wifi on our phones in the new house. I thought the modem could have been damaged in the move. At first only the apple mac was working on wifi then I changed some settings and the dell laptop also worked, but still not the two droid phones. I had also downloaded the wifi analyser app on the phone. We could see all the neighbours networks but not ours. I ended up changing the modem from multiple BSSID back to single and I think I may have reset the modem and the problem went away for a few weeks.

We had a power cut the other day and since then the two droid phones have lost wifi but not the laptops.
I have read quite a few forums this morning and tried all the obvious things and a few suggestions from the forums.

In the end I tried the security settings in differnt modes until our phones picked up the wifi signal. The modem security mode was tx in WPA2-PSK. I have changed it to WPA-PSK and both droid phones see it. I have also changed a few other things like wireless mode to B and G mixed.

Hope this helps.

cdt1975

Reaction score
Ill have to eat my words since that last post. We had another power cutoff and when the modem came back on the droid phones did not detect the wifi but the laptops did, (Just as before).
I tried the same remedy of changing the security settings with no luck.
This time I adjusted the beacon period settings thinking that droids may need something specific, this didnt work.
I found the solution by dedicating the channel, to channel 11 - instead of having it on auto select.

Now Im starting to think the modem/router may be damaged and not transmitting wifi as it should. The three droid phones we have in the house have behaved the same which is why I havent bothered thinking the problem is with the phones. We also never had these hassles before we moved house. I would be interested to know if anybody esle has seen similar symptoms from their router. We are using a greenpacket wimax router.