Solved I can get Wi-Fi on my DM, but not on my DM2 ???

MaxxGrl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID MAXX 2
I just got home and noticed my (less than one month old) Droid Maxx2 hadn't switched over to my Wi-Fi from 4G. I tried connecting manually, but no go. Rebooted phone (for the hell of it), but that didn't work. And yet, my Droid Maxx is picking up the Wi-Fi signal just fine.

AS AN ASIDE: (I have been having trouble with Wi-Fi over the last month or so (have been on tech support with Roku, Dish, my IT guy, Microsoft, etc.). I have to do a workaround to be able to use internet on computer, but can't shut down or I lose it again. I also was going to hook up Blu-Ray on my DVD today, but couldn't get internet connection on the DVD player. And yet, I can access all my Roku channels and I have internet. Sigh ....Anyway, I'm working on that problem currently. I don't see how this would affect my inability to get Wi-Fi on one phone and not another, but I'm not that Wi-Fi savvy. But, I thought I'd throw this in here, just in case.)

NOTE: During all this trouble with Wi-Fi and my computer/Roku, both my phones have been picking up our Wi-Fi connection just fine. This is the first time I've come home and not had it switch over from 4G to Wi-Fi.

Goobly Gobbly ... what a mess! :confused:

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
I just got home and noticed my (less than one month old) Droid Maxx2 hadn't switched over to my Wi-Fi from 4G. I tried connecting manually, but no go. Rebooted phone (for the hell of it), but that didn't work. And yet, my Droid Maxx is picking up the Wi-Fi signal just fine.

AS AN ASIDE: (I have been having trouble with Wi-Fi over the last month or so (have been on tech support with Roku, Dish, my IT guy, Microsoft, etc.). I have to do a workaround to be able to use internet on computer, but can't shut down or I lose it again. I also was going to hook up Blu-Ray on my DVD today, but couldn't get internet connection on the DVD player. And yet, I can access all my Roku channels and I have internet. Sigh ....Anyway, I'm working on that problem currently. I don't see how this would affect my inability to get Wi-Fi on one phone and not another, but I'm not that Wi-Fi savvy. But, I thought I'd throw this in here, just in case.)

NOTE: During all this trouble with Wi-Fi and my computer/Roku, both my phones have been picking up our Wi-Fi connection just fine. This is the first time I've come home and not had it switch over from 4G to Wi-Fi.

Goobly Gobbly ... what a mess! :confused:
Any app updates on the DM2 today? My CVS app gave me serious heartburn until I figured out that was what was causing issues with the wifi on my DM several months ago.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
MaxxGrl

MaxxGrl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID MAXX 2
Any app updates on the DM2 today? My CVS app gave me serious heartburn until I figured out that was what was causing issues with the wifi on my DM several months ago.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I can't get to Play Store, or email or internet, using Wi-Fi or 3G/4G on either phone. On my DM, I can change the connection b/w WF & 3G, but I still can't connect. On my DM2, I cannot change the connection nor can I connect to internet.

I went to play.google.com for list of my apps, but I don't see a way to check for updates.

(Not sure if this is related, but as I mentioned before, I do have Wi-Fi access on my computer and Roku ... all my devices are on the same Century Link connection).

OP
MaxxGrl

MaxxGrl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID MAXX 2
Well, I unplugged my routers and rebooted computer, and a few other tweaks here and there. I'm back to the same problem I began with. My DM connects to either Wi-Fi or 3G. My DM2 connects to 4G, but will not connect to Wi-Fi. I am totally at a loss. I have connectivity on all devices in the house, except for DM2.

NOTE: When I first got this phone about a month or so ago, it started running hot (battery temp hitting 104-5 very quickly). That was within a half hour of ONLY browsing and reading news streams. No videos, no games, no music. I came here to the forums and went through a lot of suggestions from all the great people here. Ultimately, I had to do a FDR. That worked. It's been a couple of weeks since then and it has started to run a little warm again. I see trouble ahead. I love this phone, but with this battery problem and now connectivity .... well, have I purchased a "lemon"? Do they have "lemon" phones like cars? LOL

I'm hoping this network issue can be resolved, because I can deal with the battery problem for now (unless it starts melting the phone), but most def cannot deal without internet. Sigh ... :(

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I know this may sound like I'm blaming the router unfairly but the DM2 is a newer phone and may actually have slightly different (updated), protocols that make it no longer compatible with the router's older firmware.

I suggest you visit the router's manufacturer's website and check to see if there's a router firmware update, and if so update the router. This often fixes things like you're experiencing.

In some cases only a replacement of the router is successful in resolving similar problems. I certainly hope that's not the case with your's but if it is, once replaced at least you'll have relief from the frustration?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

OP
MaxxGrl

MaxxGrl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID MAXX 2
I know this may sound like I'm blaming the router unfairly but the DM2 is a newer phone and may actually have slightly different (updated), protocols that make it no longer compatible with the router's older firmware.

I suggest you visit the router's manufacturer's website and check to see if there's a router firmware update, and if so update the router. This often fixes things like you're experiencing.

In some cases only a replacement of the router is successful in resolving similar problems. I certainly hope that's not the case with your's but if it is, once replaced at least you'll have relief from the frustration?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
Hi FoxKat,

I have DISH cable, and I had them send me a new router when I started having trouble with my network dropping it's connection on my computer. Everything in the house worked except my computer. I spent hours with tech support at DISH, Century Link, even Microsoft. I'm still having a problem with that and will be calling DISH again, so I'll ask about the firmware update. Although, they sent me to Level 2 support and they checked everything on their end and they see that I have a connection. So, "that" issue isn't resolved. For the time being I'm just doing a workaround so I can have temporary internet. I have to pull power cord from DISH router (and unplug an Airport Mac router from it as well). Shut down the computer, fire back up. Plug power into router, wait for "internet" green light to get network connection. (Then plug back in Mac router). Basically, I have to leave the computer running all the time now because as soon as I shut down, I will lose network.

So, the computer issue is "pending", so to speak. :) The phone is the priority right now, and I'm guessing they aren't connected? It sure is a coincidence.

I don't mess with routers much, so I appreciate the help in figuring this out. As to firmware updates: Is DISH who I am supposed to talk to about that? You mentioned going to the website, but I can't find anything about firmware updates.

It certainly makes sense what you're saying about it being a new phone, since my DM is working fine. I hadn't even made that connection, but ...... that's why I come here!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Hi FoxKat,

I have DISH cable, and I had them send me a new router when I started having trouble with my network dropping it's connection on my computer. Everything in the house worked except my computer. I spent hours with tech support at DISH, Century Link, even Microsoft. I'm still having a problem with that and will be calling DISH again, so I'll ask about the firmware update. Although, they sent me to Level 2 support and they checked everything on their end and they see that I have a connection. So, "that" issue isn't resolved. For the time being I'm just doing a workaround so I can have temporary internet. I have to pull power cord from DISH router (and unplug an Airport Mac router from it as well). Shut down the computer, fire back up. Plug power into router, wait for "internet" green light to get network connection. (Then plug back in Mac router). Basically, I have to leave the computer running all the time now because as soon as I shut down, I will lose network.

So, the computer issue is "pending", so to speak. :) The phone is the priority right now, and I'm guessing they aren't connected? It sure is a coincidence.

I don't mess with routers much, so I appreciate the help in figuring this out. As to firmware updates: Is DISH who I am supposed to talk to about that? You mentioned going to the website, but I can't find anything about firmware updates.

It certainly makes sense what you're saying about it being a new phone, since my DM is working fine. I hadn't even made that connection, but ...... that's why I come here!
Geez, You're having more than your fair share of problems. I hope the problem is fixed soon. Yes, Dish is who you'll need to address this with.

Good luck.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
MaxxGrl

MaxxGrl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID MAXX 2
Geez, You're having more than your fair share of problems. I hope the problem is fixed soon. Yes, Dish is who you'll need to address this with.

Good luck.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Boy, don't I know it! I've never (well, in a very long time) run up against a wall like this! At first, it was a challenge ... and I like those. I like troubleshooting because I know that ultimately, you find the resolution. But this? Egads, I hope I don't burn out!

Thank you for your help. I figured it would be a difficult one to fix online, but I always like to stop here first! :)

BamaBelle

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S7
Is it possible that you have exceeded the limit of devices you can have connected to your wifi at one time?

I started to not post this, because it sounded silly. But wth, I will post it anyhow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
MaxxGrl

MaxxGrl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID MAXX 2
Hmmm.... idk. Didn't realize there could be a limit. Well, I have the computer, and phone ... not sure what else there would be. I mean, I have the standard setup of TV, DVD player, DISH cable box. Other than my mouse and my phone, there's nothing else electronic in my room. What am I missing?

BamaBelle

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S7
Oh ok, I was confused. I thought you said you had 2 phones. I am not quite up to speed on the abbreviations yet on this forum. I do know that some wifi devices have limits as to how many devices can be used at one time.

I know roku is going to work off your wifi. So that has to be considered a device using your wifi

BamaBelle

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S7
Is it a dish sling box by chance?

OP
MaxxGrl

MaxxGrl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID MAXX 2
Is it a dish sling box by chance?

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Roku box. I also should have mentioned the 2 phones. My older Droid Maxx is getting Wi-Fi just fine. My new Droid Maxx2 is the one that won't connect to Wi-Fi, only to 4G.

FoxKat mentioned that since it's such a new phone, it might need a firmware update for the router, and that I would need to call DISH ... AGAIN! I've been on and off with them, Century Link, heck, even Microsoft! LOL

Never heard of slingbox, so I just looked it up. Don't have it, but it looks cool. :)

BamaBelle

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S7
Idk everywhere I look says anywhere from one to four devices can be connected to a router at one time. It depends on the carrier. I cannot find a definite answer.

BamaBelle

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S7
So, that's the roku, the pc, then 2 phones correct? One of which doesn't work.

Ok, have you tried turning the wifi off on the phone that is working then turning on the wifi on the phone that wasn't working?

If it is a device limitation, that would let you know if that is the actual problem or eliminate it from the things that could be an issue.