WIFI @ home will not work

cnmsales

Reaction score
I really need some help here guys.

Before I rooted my phone I was able to connect without issue to my wifi @ home.

After rooting I installed kangerade and have not been able to connect since. I am now on Lithium and still unable to connect.

When trying to connect it just sits on obtaining an IP and then eventually times out and then continues to do this over and over.

As a side note when coming from kangerade to lithium I decided to wipe data/cache but my phone still has listed all wifi spots ive ever connected to?

I really really need some help getting this working, thanks.

foxdog

Reaction score
Gmail hangs on to wifi settings, contacts and on froyo, apps. Try forgetting connection and typing in password, if you got one, and reconnecting.

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
foxdog, dont use gmail. I have forgot connection and retried. No joy.

My friend just brought his phone over and it wont connect either. He just rooted today.

foxdog

Reaction score
Try resetting the router. How do you reactivate your phone after wiping data/cache if you dont use Gmail?

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
Nah, not gunna reset router. I agree w you though. At this point that looks to be about the last and final step I can try. I got to many settings on it to reset. I may end up doing that. My buddy has a belkin @ home. Hes going to hook it up and see what happens.

foxdog

Reaction score
Router should hold its settings, all it dose is take your net and allow multiple ip addresses. If its not giving out ips, then it needs to be reset. It should have a button on it to reset it. I bought its the phone or rom.

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
reset router, still no luck. Waiting for a reply in the irc channel for something that looks promising.

foxdog

Reaction score
Someone I was talking to a few days ago was having this issues also, ill try to find him and see if he found a solution. Do you know if wifi tether for root users works?

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
Yes wifi tether works for me just fine.

listenman20

Reaction score
i have that trouble all the time...just unplug the router. plug it back in and wait for connections to come back up. that's what works for me tho.

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
listen i have power cycled several times doesnt work,.

listenman20

Reaction score
sorry...it was just my suggestion and what has worked for me. 3 droids a droid X and 3 laptops...plus a nintendo ds and a couple of psp's my network gets a bit cramped from time to time....altho since the purchase of the droids laptops have been nearly nonexistent.

kerbero9

Reaction score
welcome to froyo! :angry:

i have had this problem with every froyo rom i've tried... even the "newest" frg22...

i have wpa encryption setup at home. dont know if that makes a difference...

works flawlessy with 2.1. i know because i get so fed up with the froyo roms that i switch back. its not the router. :)

symptoms i see are wifi sometimes connects first time. eventually it loses connection and tries to connect then disconnects, connect/disconnect a few times then my ssid is shown in the network list as disabled.

if i forget network and reconnect it will be fine for a bit...rinse/repeat above symptoms.. then boot to recovery and restore 2.1 backup..droid works flawlessy...weird dancedroid

this problem and the crappy aac streaming are the two things keeping me from froyo right now.

Last edited:

mdloops

Reaction score
Do not take this the wrong way, but you are obviously giving advice to people that you might not fully understand yourself.

First, if you did not change your router during your install of a new ron then leave it alone. EVEN IF your using a form of access control it would not change anything, it goes by MAC. Doesn't matter, it isn't the router and never listen to anybody when they tell you to start touching reset buttons on the router.

Next, the first rom I used after root (sapphire) was pretty terrible in terms of WIFI. Not bashing, but hoping others can learn from my experience. TRY other roms if removing and adding back the connection manually has failed, which it sounds like it did. After switching to a few different rims and wiping data and cache each time I have had stellar wifi performance. Ultimate Droid Froyo Extreme 5 is a definite "must try."

Concerning GMAIL: whether you wipe or not, after every ron install manually add your gmail accounts to setup upon first boot, and anytime you run into problems with gmail wipe the data and cache.manually through settings/manage applications. I have been down this road as well.

Before any networking rebuttal, I am in a NSSA masters degree program at one of the best private technology schools in the country, and while I welcome others opinions I am not interested in internet knowledge. Unless you know what you are doing do not advise other's because you could give them more problems than they had in the first place.

Also, setting up the connection as a static IP and other "tricks" in theory are not well supported and in my experience are useless. My opinion? When guys building these roms start tinkering sometimes the tinker too much and in some situations loss of functionality could occur

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
mdloops, i appreciate the concern. I wouldn't have reset my router if I didn't know what I was doing. And your school degrees may be fine but I worked in tech support for 5 years, and I know, no matter what the books say, sometimes doing something a certain way makes it work.

Kbero, at least you can get yours to work sometime. Mine wont work at all. Out of curiosity you wouldn't be having problems on a belkin router would you?