WIFI @ home will not work

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
And I may give another rom a try but would really like to stick with lithium.

listenman20

Reaction score
Kbero, at least you can get yours to work sometime. Mine wont work at all. Out of curiosity you wouldn't be having problems on a belkin router would you?

mine's a belkin if it makes ya feel any better.

huskur

Reaction score
First thing i would do is reflash the ROM. Wipe both Data and cache 3 times so there is no residual of the current rom left and then do a fresh install. That should solve it.

FYI--- i have always used linksys in the past and they were great. Currently i use a Netgear Rangemax and it performs flawless. Also you can see what rom i use in my signature. Most feature packed and most stable rom out right now.

dirtysanchez

Reaction score
Concerning GMAIL: whether you wipe or not, after every ron install manually add your gmail accounts to setup upon first boot, and anytime you run into problems with gmail wipe the data and cache.manually through settings/manage applications. I have been down this road as well.

where is the settings for the Accts with Froyo it keeps setting for a quick restore but causes this issue which the device sees the router tries its pass code that it saves but doesn't hand shake with the router like it should which then (MAC Address) blocks that device like it should until you reconnect with the pass code.

Now my problem is what other things are lost when you reset the info for Gmail? will these setting reset when the phone reconnects to Gmail server where the setting are saved? is there an app that will remove these temp files or maybe give some control on what is removed?

To add to this problem im having im unable to connect to my home router (Apple - AirPort Extreme - Simultaneous dual-band 802.11n Wi-Fi base station) but have no problem connecting to my work router (F5D8232-4 Belkin N1 Vision) and have no problem connecting to it, & both have been saved many time as I Flash 1-2 a week, and its seems like this issue started after Froyo started to saved settings.

Skrizle McDizle

Reaction score
I had this problem and I understand your frustration. What I did to fix the problem is flashed back to a stable froyo ROM (try BuglessBeast ESE81), make sure it works and them go to your desired ROM. Also just an FYI I still have yet to have wifi work with a ROM from CyanogenMod, or Lithium. I think it is my phone though because I never hear anyone else with the problems I have, maybe you are the first.

dirtysanchez

Reaction score
well i will agree that its something in the ROM & that BB has some of the least amount of problems over all, but i have used almost all the different ROMS and each one has shown these problems threw there revisions. I wounder which setting or how long it will take to see a revision to this one.

Over all i think this ROM with Watermark & ADW with Galaxy S Theme has been the fastest & loving the icon changes Im not bound by my WiFi so im keeping it for a probably a few days :biggrin: :noworktomorrow:

RoyR80

Reaction score
well i will agree that its something in the ROM & that BB has some of the least amount of problems over all, but i have used almost all the different ROMS and each one has shown these problems threw there revisions. I wounder which setting or how long it will take to see a revision to this one.

Over all i think this ROM with Watermark & ADW with Galaxy S Theme has been the fastest & loving the icon changes Im not bound by my WiFi so im keeping it for a probably a few days :biggrin: :noworktomorrow:

LOL, btw i AM hiding, from ur sig. ;-) it managed to guess one part right. :p

mdloops

Reaction score
Nothing is lost except unsentimental, read: stuck, messages in your outbox or drafts. There aren't many settings for gmail as almost everything is setup and saved on gmail servers. It deletes SAVED COPIES of downloaded emails and random files saved in the cache. In 99.9% of cases you lose nothing. After starting up gmail (after deleting cache and data) it will show you a list of your accounts. Tap one of them and gmail will redownload all of your emails and labels. Too easy, nothing lost, no more issues

Concerning GMAIL: whether you wipe or not, after every ron install manually add your gmail accounts to setup upon first boot, and anytime you run into problems with gmail wipe the data and cache.manually through settings/manage applications. I have been down this road as well.

where is the settings for the Accts with Froyo it keeps setting for a quick restore but causes this issue which the device sees the router tries its pass code that it saves but doesn't hand shake with the router like it should which then (MAC Address) blocks that device like it should until you reconnect with the pass code.

Now my problem is what other things are lost when you reset the info for Gmail? will these setting reset when the phone reconnects to Gmail server where the setting are saved? is there an app that will remove these temp files or maybe give some control on what is removed?

To add to this problem im having im unable to connect to my home router (Apple - AirPort Extreme - Simultaneous dual-band 802.11n Wi-Fi base station) but have no problem connecting to my work router (F5D8232-4 Belkin N1 Vision) and have no problem connecting to it, & both have been saved many time as I Flash 1-2 a week, and its seems like this issue started after Froyo started to saved settings.

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
Ok well I installed Bugless on my system and still no go. :(

Davidbiz

Reaction score
I have a terrible WiFi problem with my Droid 2. My old VX6800 worked...and still works...fine! I get a very stable and strong WiFi signal from my home router. The Droid is nothing short of pathetic. It won't even connect through the widget unless I actually go into the settings and open the WiFi settings. Then, the mere act of opening the settings, makes it connect. I don't even change anything. Then the WiFi will more often than not, simply disconnect itself. And I have to go back into the settings while it "finds" itself again. But even when it is connected, the signal strength fluctuates between 125 kbps to 650 kbps. My 6800...on exactly the same router and modem...gets 3-4Mbps!!! This is something they need to fix ASAP...unless they want another iPhone 4 debacle!

Car

Reaction score
One thing I didn't see anyone mention is kernel
Some kernels don't play nice and can effect wifi connectivity. Since you said it worked fine in 2.1 I would rule out the router HOWEVER, I had a Belkin router and it absolutely hated my Droid and gave me the same headaches as you described. I resolved that issue back when I was running 2.1 by upgrading to a Linksys router.

Also, it has been said before but wiping data/cache is important when going from 2.X to anything newer or older! As for your phone remembering your wifi connections, mine does that too regardless if I wipe or not...

Car

Reaction score
I have a terrible WiFi problem with my Droid 2. My old VX6800 worked...and still works...fine! I get a very stable and strong WiFi signal from my home router. The Droid is nothing short of pathetic. It won't even connect through the widget unless I actually go into the settings and open the WiFi settings. Then, the mere act of opening the settings, makes it connect. I don't even change anything. Then the WiFi will more often than not, simply disconnect itself. And I have to go back into the settings while it "finds" itself again. But even when it is connected, the signal strength fluctuates between 125 kbps to 650 kbps. My 6800...on exactly the same router and modem...gets 3-4Mbps!!! This is something they need to fix ASAP...unless they want another iPhone 4 debacle!

I would look into wifi sleep policy. Yours may be set to fall asleep when the screen goes off. Change the setting to "never" and toggle it on/off using the power control widget or wifi widget if battery life is an issue.

Davidbiz

Reaction score
Definitely not that. It happens repeatedly as I'm in the act of attempting to open a site. Also this is a brand new Droid 2....installed 2.2 not upgraded. I just got through four attempts to connect where each time I navigated away from the wick settings page, it disconnected! I had to go back to settings and it woule connect again....until.I.navigated away again.FRUSTRATI
NG!

Reaction score
Running Liquid Frozen Yogurt 1.4 with ChevyNo1 ULV 1ghz kernel. I can connect to my work wifi (Westell router) no problem. Can connect at restaurants, bars, no problem.

I cannot connect to my home router (Netgear) no matter what I do. I have tried resetting router, static IP, all the suggestions. I have read in different posts online that Netgear does not play nice with Android, maybe just Froyo.

Any others having Netgear problems?

CletusVanDam

Reaction score
I have not been able to connect to my office WiFi since installing a 2.2 ROM. I tried these ROMs (With full wipe and delete cache between installs): BuglessBeast, Kangerade, CM6, Lithium, and ChevyNo1's. I tried a bunch of different kernels too: p3, ChevyNo1, and others.

My home Wifi works fine though (venerable Linksys WRT54g with WPA2 & TKIP encryption). I even tuned the Cisco Wireless access points in the office back and forth from WEP and WPA/WPA2, and TKIP and AES encryption. Nothing seems to work. After trying to connect a few times, I get "Disabled" in the connection status. Yes, I already tried the "forget connection" option.

I also have 8 Co-workers in my office with DROID 1's (All stock), they had no problem connecting at the office. However, last Friday they all got the 2.2 OTA update from Verizon and now none of them can connect to the WiFi in the office. It seems to be only certain wireless routers/access points that do not work. I thought it had something to do wtih wirelss security or encryption, but switching modes did not help and it doesn't explain why my Droid works fine at my house.